Anti-Feminist Mailbag: I love (some) women edition

I just love it when we get hate mail that is couched under the guise of just giving us some thoughtful advice.

Why is it that you feminists have no sense of humour?
It is quite amusing for me to read your blog, because I always -ironically- find serious or angry people quite amusing.
Especially if someone (in your case often a man) has made an ironic or sarcastic remark, and you then take it seriously.
My suggestion -if you want to be taken serious- is not to be so strident.
kind regards from a man (who loves most women)

And if you’re going to insult us, can’t you come up with something more original than you feminists are too darn serious? Like we haven’t heard that one before.

1. MisukoB
    Posted April 26, 2010 at 11:22 am | Permalink

“Why is it that you feminists have no sense of humour?”
    Like wow, I NEVER heard that one before… *writes down the number 2247 right under 2246*. Yeah so original.

2. TheWhiteRaven
    Posted April 26, 2010 at 11:34 am | Permalink

“Especially from a man who loves most women. That obviously means he’s a good person, even if he doesn’t love us. ”
    If I had a sense of humor (which you know, I don’t, because I am a feminist), I would find this really funny.

3. Marj
    Posted April 26, 2010 at 11:34 am | Permalink

So, if we want to be taken seriously, we need to be less serious. That makes sense.

4. Toongrrl
    Posted April 26, 2010 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Well, he certainly doesn’t have much dates

5. Ellen Marie-Frances
    Posted April 26, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Essentially he’s saying, “I’m not an asshole, but…” I didn’t realize that the situation of denying your true colors was so versitile.

6. LurkinMerkin
    Posted April 26, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

How can he say we have no sense of humor when we’re all laughing at him right now?

7. MercurialGirl
    Posted April 26, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Translation: C’mon honey, give me a smile.

8. paperispatient
    Posted April 26, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

My suggestion -if you want to be taken serious- is not to be so strident.
    In other words: if you want to be taken seriously, hush up and stop getting angry about things like rape and racial profiling and transphobia and misogyny. Shhh. Smile, you’d look so pretty if you just smiled more.

9. konkonsn
    Posted April 26, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

I’m actually doing a paper on gender and humor for a class, and quite a few studies make a note (or even go a little in depth) about feminist humor. Go figure; a lot of people like it!

10. Nicole
    Posted April 26, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Oh, wow, this guy’s right. I am too serious. From now on, I will laugh at any and all jokes, no matter how offensive or dull.
    Really, I had no idea feminism was perceived this way – I’ve now seen the light! Goodbye, feminism! Hello, humour!

11. Starbelly
    Posted April 26, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

‘They have a tumor on *their* funny bone!’

12. Molly Silverstein
    Posted April 26, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

How considerate of him to offer us his profound wisdom about humor! Because God knows if it weren’t for men who “love most women” to enlighten us, we would never be taken seriously!

13. Opheelia
    Posted April 26, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

I think he just feels left out because when we all find something funny, he doesn’t get the joke.

14. borrow_tunnel
    Posted April 26, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

I consider Feministing to be a “special interest” (should be mainstream…) news blog with the occasional funny video or post. I think this guy is confused about the purpose of the blog. Despite the funny mudflap girl on the top of the page, this is actually a pretty serious site. Or at least serious, weighty issues are discussed here. Would this guy go to an economics or mainstream news site and tell the writers they need to lighten up? Feminism is very often concerned with areas where lives are at stake.

15. Max
    Posted April 27, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

I’d like to say, as a male-identified feminist, the letter suggestions are kind of insulting to women. As a whole, I do not think there is a lack of humor. It seems that the feministing writers incorporate humor just fine to me.
    I do not feel uncomfortable reading feministing or as though it is strident.