Huckabee: Gay adoption is like a puppy “experiment”

puppy
Really, dude?
Ah, Mike Huckabee. The anti-choice, homophobic, completely hypocritical former Arkansas governor we-love-to-hate-so-much-it’s-almost-fun has come out of his homophobic hole with new classic Huckabee quotes for our feminist mockery.
Last week, Huckabee had an interview with college journalists where he not only took the opportunity to compare gay marriage with drug abuse, polygamy and incest, but also equates children adopted by gay couples with puppies. That’s right. Puppies. Via WaPo:

“You don’t go ahead and accommodate every behavioral pattern that is against the ideal. That would be like saying, well, there are a lot of people who like to use drugs, so let’s go ahead and accommodate those who want who use drugs. There are some people who believe in incest, so we should accommodate them. There are people who believe in polygamy, so we should accommodate them.”

And here’s the gem:

“This is not about trying to create statements for people who want to change the basic fundamental definitions of family,” Huckabee said. “And always we should act in the best interest of the children, not in the seeming interest of the adults.”
“Children are not puppies,” he said. “This is not a time to see if we can experiment and find out, how does this work?”

You know, because adoption by gay parents is completely uncharted territory. A totally unregulated experiment where children can go running around without a leash, you have to clean up their poop — I’ve heard the gays even let them eat human food. It’s blasphemy, I tell you, blasphemy!
Sigh.

1. Dia14
    Posted April 13, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

If Mikey lays so much as a finger on my wife or my dog, I’ll teach his sorry ass a lesson it won’t soon forget. Sheesh, it’s only April 13, 2010 and already some people are warming up for 2012. Le sigh…

2. Heather Aurelia
    Posted April 13, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

I bet most gay parents are better at chlid-raising than their heterosexual counterparts. I don’t know how someone can spit that out of their mouths, its’ just disgusting. I know so many gay couples who want children but the idea seems so far away. People like Huckabee make it so hard for them to become happy.

3. Radically-Yours
    Posted April 13, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Oh Mike Huckabee…
    Whenever he pisses me off, I just look for this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHw0FqD3RFw) where queer Canadian comedian Rick Mercer proves what an idiot Mr. Huckabee is.
    For all the Americans, please don’t take this the wrong way.

4. imtheidealist
    Posted April 13, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Sometimes I feel like he says things JUST TO provoke. Because even if you agreed with his general premise (which I don’t know who would), what argumentative value comes from making these statements?
    Its all about press

5. Not Guilty
    Posted April 13, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

It isn’t so much of an experiment anymore as a story of success. Canada has been allowing gay couples to adopt for awhile. Turns out, 2 parents of the same sex is better than foster care, and not inferior to hetero parents. Who knew?
    Rick Mercer also proved how stupid Bush is, and a whole lot of other American politicians. Talking to Americans is amazing. I encourage the open-minded Americans to watch it. No worries, Canadians don’t take the small sample of Americans as representing the majority (of the blue states anyways…).
    On an aside, do you think we should invite Mike to Gay Pride in Toronto, June 24-July 5? It’s a great time…

6. sarah
    Posted April 13, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Folks, please check out this blog post by my lifelong friend:
    An Open Letter to Mike Huckabee
    This is a well-written, personal response.

7. konkonsn
    Posted April 13, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

I’d probably be angry, but that puppy is too cute. All I can think about is playing with it.

8. liz
    Posted April 13, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

I’d also like to remind people that his son tortured and then hung a dog, killing it in the end. He fired the judge who tried to bring his sick son to justice. He should leave sleeping dog lie!

9. EndersGames
    Posted April 13, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Quick, someone do an experiment to see what happens if a puppy is raised by two female dogs. If the puppy turns out just fine, we can go back encouraging gay couples to adopt.
    :::head spins:::

10. Her Idealisticness
    Posted April 14, 2010 at 5:35 am | Permalink

My mum calls it Hucking when you gag. This seems oddly fitting somehow. /random

11. Brianna G
    Posted April 14, 2010 at 8:03 am | Permalink

No, Huckabee genuinely believes all this. I know Beck at least, and Limbaugh to a lesser extent, will exaggerate and lie for press, but Huckabee’s genuinely a jerk.