Weekly Feminist Reader

vintage Wonder Woman photo

What if women ran Wall Street?

Critiquing The Entryway, a project in which two journalists move in with a Latino family.

A female contestant on an Arabic game show is using the platform to speak out against hard-line Islam. (Some of the language and framing in this article is problematic.)

On the horrific treatment of disabled immigration detainees.

Where are the women sources on NPR?

Erykah Badu, black women, and “being comfortable in your own skin.”

On happiness
and queer politics

The New York Times‘ (and many other media outlets’) coverage of a woman killed in an act of domestic violence falls into some sadly familiar patterns — misgendering, trans-misogyny, unnecessarily lurid details.

Why contemporary, intersectional feminism isn’t necessarily anti-racist.

An open letter to school systems that apply corporal punishment to girls for dressing “too sexy.”

After pressure from a Facebook campaign, Lilith Fair dropped crisis-pregnancy centers from its list of charity beneficiaries. (It dropped one NARAL affiliate as well…)

How part-time “work from home” scams target mothers pushed out of the traditional workforce.

A court confirms transgender inmates have the right to medical care.

On the parallels between slut-shaming and fat-shaming.

I used to have this conscious thought when I was younger and going to all these dinners and parties that one day I’ll just be able to stay at home and write and read and do what I want to do. It was a real conscious thought that when my looks leave, I can do other things. Isn’t that funny?”

Michelle Obama Watch launched a tv show!

On women finding career mentorship from men.

Leave Sandra Bullock alone!

What have you been reading/writing this week?

1. Becky
    Posted April 4, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

This week at Happy Bodies:
    Notes from P.E.: “Panic is a physical response, and it has a physical solution.” Breathe.
    So, I hate the whole ‘men are from Mars, women are from Venus’ thing.: Reflecting on a recent panel about masculinity and “Oppression Olympics.”
    serious about dancing: Adam, a friend of Happy Bodies, writes about how dancing makes him feel about his body.

2. Renee
    Posted April 4, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

RapeLay Speaks About More Than Japanese Culture: Looking at why framing other cultures as more misogynist than the west is problematic.
    Monstrous Musings: Gender Norms, White Privilege, Ableism, and Commodification in Manga Monster Form: Twilight:The Graphic Novel Volume 1
    The Economics of Blogging: Looking at why women continue to struggle to get a profit from blogging.
    Is Sandra Bullock better than Michelle McGee?: Looking at what we can tell about a person by the relationships they choose to maintain.
    “Dishonesty about Race—an American Social Reflex”: Kola Boof speaks about why the notion of colourblindness is damaging.
    The Tea Party: A Lesson in Ignorance: Looking at the way that ignorance and White privilege have lead to the anger expressed by the tea party.
    Finally This weeks Sunday Shame:When the Love of Bacon Goes to Far.

3. Rebecca K.
    Posted April 4, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Who gets to out you? and You don’t get to out me – Two posts on when (if ever) friends should be allowed to out you
    Sex, please! – On the difficulties of dating while trans
    Heinlein, fictional universes, and fan fiction – I geek out and talk about some of my favorite fictional universes

4. DalekSec
    Posted April 4, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

This isn’t normal Feministing fare, I think, but: the Game Overthinker (aka MovieBob) dissects the psychology behind the characterization of women and sexuality in video game characters vis-a-vis the protagonist of the recent Sega release Bayonetta.
    Still assumes himself to be speaking to male gamers only, but I find it illuminating in understanding the mindset behind game character design, and perhaps characterization in visual fiction generally.

5. ninjanurse
    Posted April 4, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Picture some old man sent home from the ER with a tube in his penis, a bag strapped to his leg, and a referral to a urologist. The old man counts the days until he can get the tube removed. He hopes he will be able to pee normally once again. But on the appointed day he finds out that his kind is not welcome there.
    That’s the picture I see when a Florida doctor decides to play politics with patient care.

6. April
    Posted April 4, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

N talks about feeling disengaged from the world:
    How close are you to your food? I talk about macaroni and cheese.
    I shamefully bought a product to “defy my age” and crap, and after a talk with my chemistry-nerd husband about the actual product, I became enraged at the false advertising and blatant attempt to make customers buy more of their product than necessary.
    Seriously, go watch this video about whether or not science can answer moral questions. It’s interesting.
    I got drunk and bought a bunch of fucking Glenn Books. Ugh.

7. EvilSlutClique
    Posted April 4, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

This week in Evil Slutopia:
    We wrote about how Combat Barbie is going to save the day, we went to the WAM! It Yourself New York mini-conference, and went crazy over an old video (What is Love?) and a new one (Johnny Weir does Bad Romance).
    Also, Cleofaye of Sex Etc… wrote us a great guest blog about YA writers for Women’s History Month.

8. MandyV
    Posted April 4, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Weddings are expensive. CNN Money states that, even with the recession, the average cost of a wedding in 2008 was $21,814. Paper goods, like invitations, save-the-date cards, and guest books can add up—so why not make them yourself? Esther Smith’s instructional how-to book, The Paper Bride: Wedding DIY from Pop-the-Question to Tie-the-Knot and Happily Ever After, goes over absolutely everything you need to make a wedding the way you want.
    It’s not like someone would seek out this book looking to find advice on how to damage their marriage, but it definitely piques the curiosity of anyone trying to understand how easily a marriage can go awry. How to Get Divorced by 30: My Misguided Attempt at a Starter Marriage is Sascha Rothchild’s personal tale of her short-lived marriage. Surprisingly, it’s not a man-bashing book picking on her ex-husband (some of his faults are mentioned, but not focused upon). Instead, Sascha tells her story by explaining how the various events, influences, and personal insecurities in her own life led to her choosing a relationship that seemed to fill her needs, but resulted in feeding her flaws.
    I am happy to report that Feminist Review raised $3,000 during the I ? FR Campaign, an amount that—though a little shy of our goal—is laudable for our first fundraiser.

9. kataphatic
    Posted April 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

At my fat liberation theology blog, I have two posts up:
    Is HFCS the culprit in the “Obesity Crisis”?
    Saturday on Easter Sunday
    And on my professional website blog, the first installment of a new monthly column I’m doing called Tea and Empathy. This month is about how Jesus weeping over the death of his dear friend Lazarus affirms the goodness of human emotion.

10. smiley
    Posted April 5, 2010 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Americans simply eat too much. Simple as that.
    “The study finds U.S. women increased their daily calorie consumption 22 percent between 1971 and 2000, from 1542 calories per day to 1877 calories. During the same period the calorie intake for men increased 7 percent from 2450 calories per day to 2618 calories.”

11. Brett K
    Posted April 5, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

This week at Radical Bookworm:
    Better Than None – on the use of domestic violence as metaphor in Florence and the Machine’s “A Kiss with a Fist (Is Better Than None”, and why it doesn’t make me as uncomfortable as it probably should.

12. LSG
    Posted April 5, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Simple as that? A little open-mindedness, please. Not only are humans complicated organisms with all sorts of different metabolisms, gut bacteria, digestions, and so on, they react to their environments. We digest cooked meat faster than raw meat, white bread turns to sugar faster in our systems than whole grains do…the idea that processed corn syrup might affect our systems in new ways is dismissed out of hand?
    There’s also the possibility of multiple factors here, too — the CDC study doesn’t prove there’s nothing else going on. Saying it’s “simple as that” is dismissive and seems to me to show an eagerness to heap moral condemnation on those fat, lazy Americans.
    Kataphatic, I thought it was a very interesting post — I like that you discuss the structural implications, like federal corn subsidies.

13. Nathan Hansen
    Posted April 5, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

I love how long it took for the news to pick up on the disturbing RapeLay game. IGN.com had a feature about controversial games last September and mentioned this gem of violence and assault being pulled from American shelves. Nice to know that CNN is about six months behind the times when it comes to breaking news.
    A question though, someone posed that even though Japan has some pretty freaking stuff like Hentai and Rapelay that it has lower rates of sexual assault. Why is that or are the stats just off?
    Also, pleas click my Bioware link so I can get 10 tokens for a charity auction tomorrow! You just get redirected to a videogame website and don’t have to submit any information or anything. Thanks! http://social.bioware.com/brc/257900

14. Anonymous
    Posted April 5, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Why looking for work while female is more of a mine field
    Networking, nepotism, sexual harassment: lose-lose for women – http://thedelphiad.wordpress.com/2010/04/02/networking-nepotism-sexual-harassment-lose-lose-for-women/

15. smiley
    Posted April 6, 2010 at 12:19 am | Permalink

LSG,
    Homo Sapiens is pretty much the same all over the planet.
    Genetically, nothing has changed over the past 40 years.
    So why are Americans so much fatter than the rest of the world?
    I live in Europe and when I see the portions of food served in American restaurants, I am appalled. The sheer volume of stuff!
    It is so much easier to blame the Government or Big Agriculture than to cut down on one’s food intake, isn’t it?

16. Anonymous
    Posted April 6, 2010 at 1:36 am | Permalink

On being a ciswoman in a gender-binary world I reject :

17. LadyPolitik
    Posted April 6, 2010 at 3:57 am | Permalink
  18. ffyona
    Posted April 6, 2010 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Re: Hissa Halil, Daily Mail article.
    There’s frequently a problem with the way that the Daily Mail frame certain issues – they’re a disreputable rag full of racist, homophobic and completely sexist writers and editors.
    If you find an interesting story from the Daily Mail, try searching for it on less abhorrent (though, still far from perfect) outlets such as the Independent.co.uk or Guardian.co.uk. They tend to be more progressive, the comments less hostile. Alternatively, the BBC.co.uk website is usually a good bet, they have a vested interest in balanced, calm reporting.
    Not that these outlets can’t fail, but the Daily Mail almost always does and is definitely not a safe space for feminist issues. Let’s not give it any more traffic than it deserves!

19. katemoore
    Posted April 6, 2010 at 8:43 am | Permalink

Rates, or reported rates?