What We Missed

A collection of newspaper front pages about the health reform vote.
The National Network of Abortion Funds speaks truth to power regarding President Obama’s anti-choice executive order.
Shark-Fu’s take on bigoted epithets hurled at lawmakers by teabaggers and other antis. So much yes.
Dana Goldstein: “[T]he bill was passed at the expense of poor women’s reproductive rights.”
Firedoglake has a list of six ways to fix the health reform bill.
In non-health care news, an historic rally and march for immigration reform was held in Washington, D.C. on Sunday. (Oddly, the linked article credits the chant “Yes we can”/”Sí se puede” to the Obama campaign.)
Following up on a couple of my previous posts:
Re: Brooklyn DA clears ACORN in video scandal: the New York Times public editor has finally admitted O’Keefe did not wear his absurd pimp costume into ACORN offices.
And BREAKING NEWS today: ACORN is shutting down.
Re: Stop Social Security discrimination against same-sex couples: Veronica Bayetti Flores alerted me to this important critique of the Rock for Equality campaign.

1. Brianna G
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

I was at my local Democratic Meeting tonight and we were discussing health care, and there was a great analogy made– when Social Security was first established, it excluded agricultural labor, domestic service, and many teachers, nurses, hospital employees, librarians, and social workers, thus effectively denying coverage for female and minority workers. Only 15 years later (and remember, that still preceded civil rights), the coverage had been expanded. It was a flawed bill that they got in on a compromise (Southern Democrats opposed allowing minorities coverage, and many people opposed extending it to women), and then were able to adjust and adapt as time went on until it looked a lot like what they were originally thinking.
    What I think they should do to fix the bill first is allow Republicans the “victory” of reducing the mandate so adults only have to have catastrophe insurance (since a part of mandatory insurance is reducing the spread-out cost of uninsured who cannot pay bills in the ER, fully taking it out would actually prevent cost-reduction), but up regulations at the same time, thus creating an overall win.

2. MandyV
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

Floria Sigismondi does an amazing job of not just telling the story of The Runaways, five girls who changed rock ‘n’ roll forever with their brash songs and pouty teenage dispositions, but of capturing the magic and the all-around electricity of what it’s like to be a young girl who finds power in music and chances across other girls who live and die by the albums made by their rock gods.

3. MandyV
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 12:20 am | Permalink

I ? FR: The Final Push (Birthday Edition)
    Today is my 30th birthday. As a feminist activist who came of age in the ’80s and ’90s alongside the popular use of computers and the emergence of feminism’s media savvy third wave, one might say founding a feminist-oriented blog was an utterly predictable choice for me to make, and while that may be true, it was not a choice I ever anticipated making… until I did. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to continue to make feminist media—a fitting birthday present, indeed.

4. dreamingiris.com
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 8:50 am | Permalink

Thanks for sharing the newspaper front pages- the different headlines were really interesting.

5. Toongrrl
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Those teabaggers are driving me mad!!!!!

6. Nurse_PhD
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Read the front pages, bought the t-shirt.
    Caption: “I voted for Obama, and all I got was Historic Health Reform.”
    Yahoooo, baby!!

7. Aydan
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

I’m surprised and disappointed to see the word “teabagger” on a feminist blog. I was under the distinct impression that it has connotations of women as inherently sexually passive and existing only to give men pleasure.

8. ecarden
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Teabagger could refer to someone taking part in a specific sexual act, but here it refers to a member of the Tea Party movement (much though it sickens me to capitalize their…organization, or refer to it as a movement).

9. Jenn
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

I have only heard “teabagger” used in this context as a remark toward those in the tea party movement. I have never thought of the word having a derogatory meaning toward women — even the literal meaning of the word.

10. Posted March 24, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

I know that, in this context, it refers to a member of the Tea Party movement. What I’m trying to say is that if it’s a misogynistic word, which I believe it is, then whatever we may think of the Tea Party, we shouldn’t use it to apply to them. It’s like not using ableist language… even though you don’t mean it “like that,” it’s still offensive.

11. Posted March 24, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Yes, I know what it meant in this context. I just don’t think it’s right to use a word with misogynist connotations as slang for a political party. After all, we wouldn’t use a word with racist connotations like that.
    Honestly, I had never thought of it as offensive, either, until a fellow feminist told me how upset it made her.