What We Missed

Don’t miss Miriam’s takes on surrogacy and leadership by women of color in the reproductive justice movement.
Gotta love The Onion sometimes: Rise In Teen Pregnancy Proves Teens Still Got It
“While men make up the majority of abusers of street drugs, including meth, cocaine and heroin, women are just as likely to abuse prescription pills as men.”
The panty fairy (and anonymous activists) visit a Dartmouth frat.

Check out my column this week on the field of architecture’s diversity problem.

Salon asks, “Kathryn Bigelow: Feminist pioneer or tough guy in drag?”

Frisky’s Jessica Wakeman interviews the woman who live-tweeted her abortion.

1. _Maeowin_
    Posted February 25, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Permalink
  2. baddesignhurts
    Posted February 25, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

FABULOUS article on the lack of diversity in architecture, courtney. in may, i will finish my master’s degree in architecture (as well as a related one in science of the built environment), and the lack of women in this field is not only highly noticeable, it is also highly detrimental. in my nine semesters of graduate education, i have had ONE woman design professor. i have pushed the director of our school to hire more women and minority faculty, though, as you noted, the student body is more and more diverse and gender-balanced. however, women only achieved parity in architecture-school admissions about ten years ago, so we are still years away from having parity in the profession.
    i have also struggled with the issues you discussed regarding the incredible sacrifices it takes to become an architect, and how this disadvantages women. i have a young child (she was 2 when i started school, she will be 6 when i graduate), and up until two months ago, i was single the entire time. many architecture schools, mine included, make students sign a contract saying one will not work more than 10 hours a week, so i had to quit my full-time job and take out an incredible amount of student loans to pay for my education and take care of my daughter. i will have nearly $100,000 in debt at graduation, and i attend a very low-cost public university. and i ***still*** wouldn’t have been able to do this without massive help from my family and support from my professors and friends. only one other woman in my program has a child, though about six of the men do, and all of them are married. i am lucky that i have as much support as i do, as well as the financial resources, and professors who really want me to succeed, and have allowed me to bring my daughter to class when i couldn’t find childcare more times than i can count, or rescheduled classes so i could attend.
    now, as i approach graduation and i move on to preparing for licensure and the exams, i am struggling to find women in the field who can be mentors and potential bosses. let me tell you, women in high levels in this field are few and far between (women have been pretty much resigned to the interior design ghetto, which, while also enormously important, commands far less pay and respect). only one woman has ever won the pritzker prize.
    and finding a balance between my personal and family life and my career will continue to be difficult. (on our campus, the architecture building is the only one in which large numbers of students routinely work ’round the clock, even on weekends. we call it “architraz”.) i developed epilepsy two years ago after working so hard and so long that my mother discovered me one morning having seized all night long. the AIA has had to develop limits on the amount of time students can work, after multiple students died. both as a student and as a professional, you are expected to be always on, 60-hour weeks are common, and for, on average, some of the lowest pay of the licensed professions.
    anyway, all of this was my very long, drawn-out way of saying that i think you hit the nail on the head with your piece, courtney, and i’d love to hear from other women designers who are working to make this field more hospitable to women.

3. lucierohan
    Posted February 26, 2010 at 7:06 am | Permalink

ok that Kathryn Bigelow article really disgusted me. How can feministing criticize anyone for making trans persons the target of a joke and not show any anger when this Salon author so disparagingly refers to Bigelow as a transvestite?
    Also, female directors should be able to make whatever movie they fucking want without worrying that its not “feminine” enough for salon critics.
    This lady needs to get bent.
    love,
    a frustrated feminist film lover

4. mercaque
    Posted February 26, 2010 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Wow, the transphobia and Gender Role Patrol in that Salon article is disgusting. That’s exhibit A for why I hate it when they try to go ~edgy~.
    I was pretty pleased to see several of the comments calling the author out, espeically the person who asked “With feminists like this, who needs misogyny?”

5. ryang
    Posted February 26, 2010 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Love the architecture article. One of my favorite architects is Julia Morgan, who was designing buildings beginning around the turn of the (last) century, and designed San Simeon (Hearst Castle).

6. Toongrrl
    Posted February 26, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

“Man in Drag”? WTF???? Don’t betray me Salon.com!!!!!!!