What We Missed

W.E.B. DuBois, civil rights activist and scholar, was born today.
Senator Rockefeller says he probably would not vote to pass the public option through reconciliation. Not a good sign.
Harry Reid points out a statistical relationship between male unemployment and domestic violence against women. Of course he says it in a problematic way – he’s Harry Reid.
Kansas State Rep. Steve Brunk compares rape to having your car stolen.
Kenya is poised to ban abortion in their constitution.

1. Comrade Kevin
    Posted February 23, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

I see what Reid meant, but even so, is he just not self-aware?

2. IAmGopherrr
    Posted February 23, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Regarding the statement by Harry Reid…
    I think its problematic. Its not the lack of jobs but the unhealthy masculine construct thats to blame. As he noted when women are out of jobs they dont go and beat their husbands/boyfriends. I also think it makes tthe economic issues all about men and casts a myopic focus on the issues. Its like saying women arent important nor is focusing on the overall negative effect on all of Americans important.

3. Kathleen Hagerty
    Posted February 23, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

I don’t think it’s very prudent to make statements suggesting that out of work women don’t abuse their husbands. Unfortunately, many of them do. Maybe we just aren’t aware of how big the problem is because the men don’t call attention to it. We have no way of knowing how many men really are victims of domestic abuse it they aren’t reporting it.

4. supremepizza
    Posted February 24, 2010 at 12:44 am | Permalink

I very strongly disagree with the KS bill prohibiting insurance companies from offering insurance as part of their standard packages, but saying the Representative compared rape to having your car stolen is the height of sensationalism. I mean, thats plain false. He did no such thing. I’m sorry but that’s just agenda driven reporting.

5. paperispatient
    Posted February 24, 2010 at 11:12 am | Permalink

According to the linked article, Steve Brunk noted that you would need to report a rape and file a police report in order to abort a pregnancy resulting from rape; he then said that you would need to report a stolen car and said, “This is kind of the same thing.” I don’t see how that ISN’T comparing the two.

6. Toongrrl
    Posted February 24, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Happy Bday W.E.B!!!!

7. WIDave
    Posted February 24, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

So, if Harry Reid is voted out of office this upcoming election cycle, he is going to commit a violent act?

8. MandyG
    Posted February 25, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Dear Manhattan Beach Police Department,
    PLEASE treat my rape case as you would a vehicle theft.
    If someone stole my car, something would happen.
    I was raped, and so you dumped my case.
    Because property is more important than my body, mind, health, and well-being.