BREAKING: Scott Roeder Found Guilty Of Murdering Dr. George Tiller

The late Dr. Tiller
via TPM.

A Kansas jury just found Scott Roeder guilty of first degree murder in the killing of abortion doctor George Tiller at his church last May.
The jury reportedly deliberated for less than hour. Roeder, an extremist anti-abortion activist, admitted on the stand that he killed Tiller.
Roeder was also found guilty on two counts of aggravated assault for pointing his gun at church ushers.

He will getting life in prison, with a chance of parole after 25 years (Kansas Star via TPM).
Nancy Keenan has made a statement,

“The jury examined the facts of this case and rightfully convicted Scott Roeder for the brutal murder of Dr. George Tiller inside his church in Kansas. Our thoughts are with Dr. Tiller’s family and friends. Even though this conviction brings a murderer to justice, it won’t replace the husband, father, and grandfather they lost last May. Dr. Tiller was a tireless advocate for reproductive health who called on us to ‘trust women’ to make the personal, private decisions that are best for them and their families. We will continue to honor his legacy of compassion and resolve.”

Sending best wishes to his family. His legacy will not be forgotten.

1. TeenMommy
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

In the midst of so much bad news, this makes me so happy.

2. JoanOfArc
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

I’m shocked he will be eligible for parole at all; he shot a man in cold blood with clear premeditation. However, I’m glad he was convicted.
    May we never forget Dr. Tiller and the good he did. May we continue his fight. May we trust women.
    Joan

3. dj_sex_ed
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

I am so fucking relieved! It’s reassuring to see that the judicial system hasn’t abandoned us.

4. DeafBrownTrash
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Since this MURDERER shot Dr Tiller to death, he should be given a DEATH SENTENCE and get shot to death. An eye for eye! After all, the Bible said so.
    *disclaimer: I was being sarcastic and mocking the killer’s Christian beliefs.

5. Brianna G
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

I think that that’s pretty standard in cases of a single premeditated shooting. Life without parole is usually reserved for horrible methods of murder or multiple murders in my experience. Hopefully he will not be eligible if he does not express guilt over his actions and admit that what he did was wrong, which thus far he has not done and seems unlikely. I would be stunned if he was ever paroled.

6. supremepizza
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Actually, he hasn’t yet been sentenced & the DA is going for more than just 25yrs…From KS Star: “Sedgwick County District Judge Warren Wilbert set Roeder’s sentencing for March 9. Roeder faces a maximum sentence of life in prison.
    The prosecution said it will pursue a “hard 50” sentence, which means 50 years in prison with no chance of parole.”

I’m proud of my home state for doing the right thing!

7. Elizabeth
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Although I agree with the sentiment, I respectfully ask that you don’t use the word “christian” in this context. He may have been a christian, but it was not christian beliefs that led him to this murder. It was his fear of women in control of their own lives, his strong anti-choice sentiment that led him to it. I don’t know if you meant it, but the way you said suggests that christianity is the problem, which is totally untrue.

8. Lance
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

The good news is that Roeder is 51– 25 years from now makes him 76. Even if the prosecution only gets 25, it’s more likely than not a life sentence. A hard 50 would absolutely be, barring a miracle.

9. DeafBrownTrash
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

nope, I’m not mocking Christianity. I’m mocking right wing Christian hypocrites and their warped interpretation of the Bible.

10. MiriamCT1
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

good, that whole “man saughter” thing really ticked me off.

11. Rebecca_J
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

I was reading Roeder’s comments on the stand and noted how he repeatedly referred back to the idea that “only God can take life.” The hypocrisy was astounding. I assume he would rationalize it by saying he was doing “God’s work.”

12. Brittany
    Posted January 30, 2010 at 12:16 am | Permalink

That’s very disrespectful.
    Who are you to assume that only Christians believe in the death penalty, and that all “right wing” conservatives must support it?
    And people that do support the death penalty usually believe in lethal injection and not a more barbaric way of executing someone.
    I personally do not support capital punishment, and I’m a Christian republican. It’s not our job to play God in my opinion, it is simply our job to keep people behind bars and the public safer in the process.

13. DeafBrownTrash
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 12:11 am | Permalink

lol. I ain’t knocking anyone who supports the death penalty. On the contrary, I believe in capital punishment.
    Re-read my comment above, I’m mocking Christian HYPOCRITES and their WARPED INTEPRETATIONS of the Bible. Unless you consider yourself a Christian hypocrite with a warped view of the Bible, then you have no right to complain my comment was disrespectful.

14. Toongrrl