“All-American Basketball Alliance” Allows Whites Only

No, this isn’t an Onion headline and you didn’t just get out of a time machine.
The Atlanta-based All-American Basketball Alliance is seeking out 12 cities to start a league where, “[o]nly players that are natural born United States citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league.” The Augusta Chronicle reports:

Don “Moose” Lewis, the commissioner of the AABA, said the reasoning behind the league’s roster restrictions is not racism.
“There’s nothing hatred about what we’re doing,” he said. “I don’t hate anyone of color. But people of white, American-born citizens are in the minority now. Here’s a league for white players to play fundamental basketball, which they like.”
Lewis said he wants to emphasize fundamental basketball instead of “street-ball” played by “people of color.” He pointed out recent incidents in the NBA, including Gilbert Arenas’ indefinite suspension after bringing guns into the Washington Wizards locker room, as examples of fans’ dissatisfaction with the way current professional sports are run.
“Would you want to go to the game and worry about a player flipping you off or attacking you in the stands or grabbing their crotch?” he said. “That’s the culture today, and in a free country we should have the right to move ourselves in a better direction.” (Emphasis mine)

Yeah, his reasoning isn’t racist. Not one fucking bit. The good news is that Lewis hasn’t had much luck thus far as he targets the southeast; several cities have even told him to “stay out of town.” Damn straight.
Via.

1. that girl
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Fair enough. Then I propose we create blacks-only Town Hall meetings. I’m not racist, but shouldn’t people be allowed to go to Town Hall meetings without being threatened by angry whites with guns?

2. Rubbersoul4163
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 10:53 am | Permalink

I heard about this last night on the Rachel Maddow show, and I could not believe it. I was like WTF???? Is this the one drop rule? Are they going to have new eugenicists testing blood to see who is really caucasian and who is “passing?” Can Josef Mengele be thawed out with modern technology? GIVE ME A BREAK!
    First creationism is resurrecting the Scopes Monkey Trial, now this. I swear, if the Supreme Court starts using ‘Separate but equal’ jargon in new rulings, I’m done.

3. common_reaction
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Wow. My mouth was literally hanging open while reading this. I love when people think they can say things like that and start with, “I’m not a racist, but…” and get away with it.
    Kind of reminds me of a professor I had last semester for a grammar class that told us “the blacks” were ruining the English language.
    I wish I was kidding.

4. Becca Stareyes
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Oh, heavens. So many stupid racist (and classist) assumptions, so little time.

5. JupiterAmmon
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 11:24 am | Permalink

I guess its true that he doesn’t hate black people, he just hates having to interact with them on equal terms.
    :eyeroll:

6. Jovan1984
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 11:32 am | Permalink

This is 100% racist. And the All-American Basketball Alliance cannot weave their way out of that.
    Oh and by the way Vanessa, the Augusta Chronicle shares similar radical right wing extremist views as this AABA organization does. Take one look at the Augusta Chronicle’s editorials since 2003 and you’ll see what I mean.

7. GREGORYABUTLER10031
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

This isn’t a question of these folks being “stupid”.
    It’s a question of them being RACIST
    Big difference.

8. konkonsn
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

I’ve had that problem with professors as well. “It’s not racist to suggest that people learn to speak academically. It’s like learning a foreign language…”
    …that’s been created by a mostly white, male circle.

9. paperispatient
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Because being inappropriate and angry is obviously a racial trait.
    And “better direction” meaning “more white.”
    This is disgusting.

10. DireSloth
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

“But people of white, American-born citizens are in the minority now.”
    *GIGA-HEADDESK*
    Gah, I need a new desk now :(

11. hannahb
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

“I don’t hate anyone of color. But people of white, American-born citizens are in the minority now.”
    White people may be the minority (I don’t know if this is true, statistically, or not), but they’re the majority in the Senate, the House of Representatives, on the Supreme Court… So does minority matter as much as whether or not the minority is in power?

12. Chelsa
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

I’m with you on this one… whites were the minority in South Africa, like, always. It doesn’t mean they were ever oppressed and in need of their own “white” basketball teams.
    Besides, “Street ball” players have the advantage of being awesome at the game. I suspect the AABA teams would be horrifyingly boring to watch. ;)

13. ElleStar
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

I believe beccastareyes was calling racist ideas stupid (and they are because they rely on fundamentally untrue stereotypes).
    In other words, she was talking about them being RACIST.

14. bifemmefatale
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

The two are far from mutually exclusive.

15. Opheelia
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

If he thinks that white men never flip people off, grab their crotches, or attack people, then he’s never been to a bar. Or a school campus. Or seen a woman walk down the street while she’s experiencing harassment.
    My brother got suspended once for grabbing his crotch while flipping off his teacher. Two out of three right there.

16. Spiffy McBang
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

There have been suggestions floating around that this is a hoax. I don’t know one way or the other, but given how incredibly egregious this is, it’s a possibility to keep in mind.

17. Nicole
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

God, I hope so.
    Otherwise, we have this:
    “I’m not racist. I just act and talk and think like a racist. I use racist stereotypes to draw racist conclusions about whether or not to let people of other races into my racist club. But I’m totally not a racist.”

18. MLEmac28
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

He might have meant a minority in professional basketball.
    Off the top of my head, most of the really good white players at the moment are from another country (Gasol brothers, Manu Ginobili, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki).

19. aleks
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

There’s a hell of a lot more wrong with not expecting your students to learn academic English in an academic English setting. Start with patronizingly low expectations, move on to excluding them from full participation, and finish by not teaching them to speak so their work will ever be taken seriously. How very broadminded and inclusive.

20. sparky17
    Posted January 23, 2010 at 4:32 am | Permalink

How are white people the minority? We make up 80% of the US population, own 82% of business firms, are 86% of congress, and I could go on! Do I have my definition of minority wrong?

21. rhowan
    Posted January 23, 2010 at 10:08 am | Permalink

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that perhaps he was calling out the use of what is arguably ableist language. ie. “stupid”

22. Pantheon
    Posted January 23, 2010 at 11:38 am | Permalink

When I first read the headline I thought they were going for something a little different, which would have been more debatable. I thought they were going to say that statistically, white men are worse at basketball than black men, and therefore should have their own league the same way women have their own league, as a protected space where they can play without the much better players getting in the way. I’m not saying I agree with that, but it would have been a much more interesting argument.
    Unfortunately, instead of saying anything about athletic skill they just seem to be saying that black people are rude, which is clearly racist and nonsensical. The logical solution if that’s really what they care about is to make a league called something like Polite Basketball, and let people of any race in but have very strict standards of conduct that result in being kicked out.

23. evann
    Posted January 23, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

If this asshole wants to make sure players don’t “grab their crotch” perhaps he should employ an all-woman team ;)

24. Mariella
    Posted January 24, 2010 at 4:45 am | Permalink

That was an amazing comment, Nicole

25. e-pro
    Posted January 25, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

I smell a rat. Based on my knowledge of publicity stunts, this will soon be revealed as another example of some dude with a “questionable” sense of humor trying to pull a fast one on the media.
    Mark my words – no actual “league”, in the modern definition of the term (schedules, statistics, coaches, general managers, etc) will exist. There may be a reality-television component to the whole twisted prank, largely to see which morons volunteer to join as players.
    Hoax to be revealed in 4…3…2…1…