Cindy McCain poses for marriage equality

Cindy McCain posing with tape over her mouth and NOH8 written on her face
Wow. Really?

I was kind of shocked to see Cindy McCain, wife of former presidential candidate Senator John McCain, pose for the NOH8 Campaign.

As Michael at Change.org notes, “it would have been really nice for Cindy McCain to have professed her love for gay marriage during the 2008 election, when her husband was not only running for President, but endorsing California’s Proposition 8…But on the whole, this is a rather big to-do.”

Indeed it is.

1. MLEmac28
    Posted January 20, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Wow. At first I thought you must have meant Meghan McCain. Maybe now his wife and daughter can tag team to knock some sense into John.

2. MLEmac28
    Posted January 20, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Also, and I the only one who wishes she had gone without the duct tape? It reminds me of creepy pro-lifers.

3. Icewyche
    Posted January 20, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Yeah, that and the colorless wide-eyed I’m-going-to-eat-your-face stare are kind of disturbing.

4. Toongrrl
    Posted January 20, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Maybe she’s taking it back from the pro lifers. The duct tape does remind me of the details of her stroke and medication abuse: of a woman who’s husband didn’t know she needed help and of a woman who wouldn’t tell her friends that she just had a stroke for fear of disrupting country club lunch.

5. DeafBrownTrash
    Posted January 20, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

just to point out, all of the famous people who posed for No H8 Campaign had worn duct-tape over their mouths. From what I’ve seen, anyway.
    the duct tape is a symbol of gay people and allies having their voices be SILENCED

6. Twewi
    Posted January 20, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Either that’s Meghan McCain or they’ve airbrushed Cindy to the point that she’s unrecognizable. I’m not saying Cindy’s ugly or anything, but that is not a 55 year old woman.
    The link says both mother and daughter are supporting their campaign, but doesn’t specify who’s in the photos.

7. Twewi
    Posted January 20, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Okay… I opened the full image and noticed the gray hair… I guess they did airbrush the fuck out of these, which is disappointing it itself. She’s 55 and there’s nothing wrong with looking 55… not sure why she has to be made so she looks like her daughter.
    Anyway… you can just reject both these comments if you want… I feel stupid for posting without enlarging the image. :P

8. Wren
    Posted January 20, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

It seems to me that the duct tape is a reference to the National Day of Silence where people either tape their mouths or refrain from speaking for a day to draw attention to all the LGBTQ people who are silenced…

9. ladybeethoven
    Posted January 20, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Eh, I like the NOH8 people’s use of duct tape – it’s a nice way to subvert the anti-choicers’ use of it.

10. aleks
    Posted January 20, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

That’s definitely not Meghan (who is a long term gay marriage supporter). Cindy hasn’t looked her age in years and will never look like a 55yo woman.

11. LalaReina
    Posted January 20, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

I thought that was the daughter, but at any rate I say big deal. Now it’s trendy so big whoop.

12. daveNYC
    Posted January 20, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Cindy McCain has the short hair. Most likely airbrushed, but between good genes, makeup, or some plastic surgery, who knows? Heck, you couuld probably get a similar look by dialing the flash up a step or two.

13. Sara Pulis
    Posted January 21, 2010 at 1:13 am | Permalink

Can the Republican Party survive without its platform of bigotry? It seems to be integral to the structure, but such was once the case of the Democratic Party, and now they’re the better of the two. Maybe there is hope! :)

14. aleks
    Posted January 21, 2010 at 10:06 am | Permalink

I think it being trendy to support gay marriage is a big deal. Cindy McCain is of no great importance to anyone though, she’s hardly an icon of the right.

15. agnostichaos.livejournal.com
    Posted January 21, 2010 at 10:58 am | Permalink

i’m ok with supporting gay marriage becoming “trendy”. publicly promoting the rights of other is a wonderful thing to become trendy if you ask me.

16. Posted January 21, 2010 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Better late than never I suppose

17. LalaReina
    Posted January 21, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

I think it’s no big deal in terms it doesn’t cost you anything, if anything it will cost you to espouse the opposite.

18. queerhummingbird
    Posted January 21, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

i know this photo screams “CREEPY alien eyes coming at you” than an endorsement of same gender marriage.

19. aleks
    Posted January 21, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Ah, you’re looking at it from an angle of personal virtue. I don’t give a flying fuck what the karmic implications of this are for Cindy, I’m thrilled if supporting gay marriage has become the in thing among even some conservatives. If it’s not a bold, courageous or shocking thing anymore to support gay marriage – GREAT!

20. Twewi
    Posted January 21, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I know she looks young for her age, but compare this to the images in her Wikipedia page or her Google Images results. You can hardly tell it’s the same person.
    Also, note that I did figure it out and my comment below came in five minutes after the first one. :P

21. Twewi
    Posted January 21, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I know she looks young for her age, but compare this to the images in her Wikipedia page or Google Images. You can hardly tell it’s the same person.
    Also, note that I did figure that and my comment below came in five minutes after the first one. :P

22. Twewi
    Posted January 21, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

(Arg… this was supposed to be a reply, but I think I submitted it as a regular response and got it at the end, because the first time I submitted the reply my browser went wonky… Sorry, please delete the mistake.)

23. lovelyliz
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 11:20 am | Permalink

I was really disappointed to see that this entire thread is nearly all about Cindy’s looks rather than the ideas behind the No H8 campaign and what it would take for other conservatives to become pro-gay marriage.