What We Missed.

I love Mo’nique. That is all.

Check out her tear-jerker acceptance speech at the Golden Globes for winning best supporting actress for Precious.
About.com’s women’s issues blog asks “why are there no women on late night TV?”
Seriously are people still trying to put “tribal trends”? Didn’t I blog about this years ago? Oh yeah, I did.
A must-read piece about rape jokes, why they suck and some snarky advice of what to do when confronted with one.
A self-proclaimed culty leader was arrested for raping and enslaving women in Israel.
More reporting on how your success is ruining your love life.

1. Toongrrl
    Posted January 19, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Love you Mo’Nique!!!!!! She deserves that award!!!

2. ElleStar
    Posted January 19, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

The post on rape jokes was amazing (and the comments are just as enlightening). It’s now bookmarked and will be linked any time a discussion of rape jokes comes up in any community I post in.
    Thanks for linking it here.

3. DeafBrownTrash
    Posted January 19, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

what did Mon’Nique say? I did not watch the Golden Globes on Sunday :-/

4. hellotwin
    Posted January 19, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

That article on successful women and marriage was a bit depressing, especially the last line:
    Ms. Zielinski, the fashion stylist, said her best friend, a man, told her once: “ ‘You are confident, have good credit, own your own business, travel around the world and are self-sufficient. What man is going to want you?’ He laughed, but I found that pretty depressing.”

5. Heina
    Posted January 19, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Mo’Nique has inspired me to write about hair.
    Also, I have a new life goal: to not only grow out some of my body hair, but wear it unashamedly at least once. Who’s with me?

6. hellotwin
    Posted January 19, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Agreed. Awesome post.

7. Comrade Kevin
    Posted January 19, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Though my partner does make more money than I do right now, rest assured I didn’t end up in a relationship with her because of that fact. I don’t find it a threat to my inherent maleness because she’s the primary breadwinner, but I do have enough pride that I wouldn’t want to freeload off of her, either.
    And maybe I’m really unusual here, but I find smart women unbelievably sexy and seek them out. I don’t find a smart woman intimidating in the least and indeed, I find my partner very helpful, particularly in feminist or female-dominated spaces such as these. Often my opinions go through her first and I defer to her judgment.
    But really, am I THAT unusual?

8. uberhausfrau
    Posted January 20, 2010 at 10:25 am | Permalink

i stopped shaving my legs and armpits for almost ten years now and 5 years ago moved to a part of the country were shorts and tank topss are worn 5+months out of the year if you dont want to die from heat stroke. no one has ever said anything to me. everyone once in a while i think maybe i should shave, like for a special occasion where im getting all gussied up anyway, but then i say fuck it.

9. LifeInTechnicolor
    Posted January 20, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

I’m with you! I used to wear skirts with leg hair all the time and I assure you no one ever doubted that I was a woman, of course people close to you tend to get really offended but that just makes me want to show it off even more. Maybe I should just braid it and get dreadlock extensions on my legs just to piss off all my friends…Hehe anyways I think its complete bullshit this hairy legs thing and it just makes me want to scream. Especially hearing all the comments that people make regarding hygiene and femininity. And don’t even get me started on pubic hair, nothing says sexy like razor burn on your crotch. Public approval is not worth risking injury to my sacred space, its actually creepy as hell that the public would dictate that my genitals should appear in the likeness of a pre-pubescent girl! The same for a lot of men too, people thought I was crazy for not wanting my boyfriend to shave his hair off, I mean am I so shallow that it would matter to me that hair might make his junk look smaller? (which is one of the main reasons I’ve heard for a lot of guys shaving) When someone’s intrinsic value is determined by the size of their junk or the amount of hair they scrape or burn off their bodies daily, then we live in a sad world indeed….one that I refuse to be a part of.