Pro-choice license plates in Virginia!

Virgina license plate. 'Trust Women. Respect Choice.'
Hey Virginia drivers, you can finally get your “Choose Choice” license plates!

OK, so the plates aren’t that snarky – they read, “Trust Women. Respect Choice.” and are now for sale in VA. Sales of the plates will benefit Planned Parenthood affiliates in the state, which will use the funds for prevention services but no abortion-related services (clearly a pragmatic decision that I think unfortunately makes sense). 350 pre-ordered plates must be sold before the design can make its way through the legislative process.

While “Choose Life” plates supporting crisis pregnancy centers have been approved in 24 states pro-choice ones only exist in Montana and Hawaii (Edited to add Pennsylvania as well – thanks to commenter PPWPRocks for the heads up). Wouldn’t it be great if Virginia actually approved pro-choice license plates and started a trend in other states?

You can find more information and purchase plates here.

1. PPWPRocks
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

We also have Pro-Choice plates in PA!
    Congratulations Virginia!

2. KBeck02
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

I wish they had these four years ago when I lived in VA. But hopefully they will still have them after I finish college and move back.

3. Megs
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

I am so jealous. I live in Alabama, and it irks me to see all the “choose adoption” plates when I don’t have the opportunity to have a “Pro-choice” plates…

4. stabbygail
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

I wish we had that in Indiana as a counterpart to the Choose Life plate and the slightly over $41,000 those plates have funneled into the Indiana Association of Pregnancy Centers, which are all “pregnancy resource centers” offering misinformation and limited options. If only the people paying for these plates would put that kind of money into comprehensive sex ed, prenatal care and pediatric care, or day care funding — basically anything that would give women more real options in choosing whether or not to carry pregnancies to term.

5. jd55418
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

I hope they will get these in Minnesota.
    fast passport

6. SarahMC
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

I would definitely get one of these for my car if I did not strongly suspect it would invite keying and tire deflation.

7. Icewyche
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

Same here. I once had some jerk write obscenities on my “Feminism is the radical notion that women are people” bumper sticker, so as much as I want a pro-choice plate, I have to debate whether I want to take the risk of having my car vandalized for it.
    Which is very, very sad and says a great deal about the part of Virginia in which I live.

8. Marj
    Posted December 19, 2009 at 10:07 am | Permalink

I feel similarly (though Nebraska doesn’t have them–yet). On the other hand, it looks like someone has already keyed my car, and I don’t have any bumper stickers, pro-choice or otherwise.
    On the other other hand, I’ve seen some pro-choice bumper stickers around here already, so at least I wouldn’t be alone.

9. http://openid.aol.com/percat6
    Posted December 19, 2009 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

I always figured the “choose adoption” plates were about choosing to adopt, rather than choosing to put your kid up for adoption…

10. liv79