Open Season

Check out this compelling short of a documentary about the prevalence of sexual assault committed against indigenous women, as well as the failure of the law enforcement system to convict their attackers. (Trigger warning.)

1. Laurenms
    Posted December 4, 2009 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for posting things. News about Native people is rare, and even more rare is news focusing on the high levels of violence against Native women.

2. Laurenms
    Posted December 4, 2009 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

[this! not things...tricky fingers]

3. Tabs
    Posted December 4, 2009 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

Thank you, thank you. This is great.

4. aelphaba
    Posted December 5, 2009 at 7:41 am | Permalink

I am very glad this was posted. We rarely see any information about the abuse Native women suffer.
    That being said I was a little disappointed in some of the images used by the film makers. I do not understand the choice to use the beautiful, stoic, long hair Native woman as stand in for the physical representation of all the voices we heard because to me she seems to represent Non-Natives ideal of Native women. The slow pans of her half clothes body also seemed a little incongruous with the message.
    I do have to say that this style of video would have raised questions with me regardless of the population it was illuminating. Ive seen it before and I dont like it. Why we need to take a beautiful woman and paint bruises on her and have her look haunting,pitiful and proud into the camera to evoke a savior complex in whoever is watching the film seems like pandering.

5. Jamie
    Posted December 5, 2009 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Thank you. This is such an incredibly important issue – Alaskan natives have terrible times, also – and people like Sarah Palin would have that brushed under the rug and ignored. But, you know, indigenous peoples aren’t REAL people. It’s infuriating.
    I’m sharing this with everyone I know – thank you.

6. Jamie
    Posted December 5, 2009 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

I’m sharing this with everyone I know – thank you.

7. DalekSec
    Posted December 5, 2009 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

The same kind of poisonous vermin who perpetrate these crimes are pretty thick on the ground in northern and central Canada too, though it shames me to admit it.
    Amnesty has their report on this matter specifically for Canada, titled Stolen Sisters.
    I’m pretty sure it’s available online.

8. LurkinMerkin
    Posted December 6, 2009 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

I’m with aelphaba. The information was important and compelling, but the style of the film made me want to stop watching it.