Glenn Beck on Sarah Palin, “Get back in the Kitchen.”

Glenn Beck is an asshole. And I am not Sarah Palin fan, but seriously…sexism is sexism and telling someone to get back in the kitchen because they are a woman is sexism, regardless of their politics.
via RawStory

Beck apparently likes the idea of a Beck-Palin ticket, but a Palin-Beck ticket? Not so much.
“I was just thinking, what, I’m going to take a back seat to a chick?” Beck quipped, to laughter from the studio. “Go shoot a bear, make some stew, I’m hungry in here.”
In an interview with Newsmax last week, Palin “wouldn’t rule out” running with the controversial talk show host in 2012.
“So while she’s considering it … I just want her to know, I’m ruling it out. A Palin-Beck ticket, I’m absolutely ruling it out,” Beck said. “I’m just saying, Beck-Palin, I’ll consider. But Palin-Beck — can you imagine what an administration with the two of us would be like? She’d be yapping or something, I’d say, ‘I’m sorry, why am I hearing your voice? I’m not in the kitchen.’ I mean, you’d have to live up to the evil conservative stereotypes, you’d have no choice but to do so.”

Infuriating.

1. Toongrrl
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Once an assface, always an assface
    -Tweety Bird
    That’s all I will say

2. DeafBrownTrash
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

I hate Sarah Palin, but I agree with you, Glenn Beck’s comments were offensive and sexist. For the first time, I’m sticking up for Palin… oh god.
    yeah, I hate to say this, but Palin is far MORE qualified for politics than Beck ever will be.

3. Lisa_G
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Glenn Beck is a meany

4. Rubbersoul4163
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

The truly disturbing thing about Glenn Beck is how much influence he has. At one point, the things he says would have been relegated to some fringe group of Rocky Mountain militia men. Now, his behavior is so normalized that people are told to tolerate him, rather than run him out of town. As my dad (a blue-collar white man himself) says, “Glenn Beck has successfully convinced lower middle and middle class white men that the entire world is against them, and that they no longer have any rights. That blacks, women, and gays are the reason they are loosing jobs and getting divorces, not a faltering economy,” I couldn’t have said it better myself.
    Anyway, Glenn Beck may suck, but this is pure brilliance…

5. Lilith Luffles
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

But… I thought that the left-wing media attacked conservative women.

6. Thomas
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Sexism is wrong, even when it happens to Sarah Palin.
    Conservatives always fly a flag of convenience on women’s issues: they pretend to care only when they can beat up the left with it and try to drive a wedge. Movement conservatives will even use it on establishment Republicans. But what happens when a high-profile arch-conservative tells the reigning hero of the grassroots movement conservative base, “make me a sammich”? My guess is they’ll laugh it off, at Sarah’s expense, and defend the dude. After all, he’s one of them, and she’s just a woman. Isn’t that how it always works in the boy’s clubs? No matter how much a woman thinks she’s in, when it really matters, don’t the old boys always protect their own?
    (Now, if the political left were just consistent about standing up against sexism instead of defaulting to it and making sexist remarks when women in public life disappoint us …)

7. Becca Stareyes
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

It’s weird. He pretty much admits that the ‘evil conservative stereotype’* he’s usually put into would require him to push around Palin and relegate her to the kitchen simply because he has a Y-chromosome and she doesn’t. And usually when people say ‘evil -blank- stereotype’ they want to emphasize that this is a bad thing, and an untrue thing. But then other of his remarks seem to indicate that he says he probably would do this — not literally, but figuratively. Hurts my head.
    Or maybe he wants to use sexist humor playing on the stereotype to deflect what he really thinks about Palin without angering her or her fans. Stay classy, Glen.

8. bzzxz
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

I can’t understand why anyone is still listening to this asshole.

9. Kim C.
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

“She’d be yapping or something, I’d say, ‘I’m sorry, why am I hearing your voice? I’m not in the kitchen.’”
    To which she should respond: “I’m sorry, why am I hearing your voice? My head’s not up your ass.”

10. MorganFarquhar
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

I very much dislike Glenn Beck — but I will need to be able to argue that this is truly more than him satirizing the liberal conception of conservatism? A la the Colbert Report or any of the other liberal media-makers who make similar self-effacing jabs. Can anyone explain why this isn’t just like that?

11. paperispatient
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Did we expect him to say something classy and not-sexist?
    (About this or, well, anything?)

12. JesiDangerously
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

I thought that same thing when I just read the comment, but when I listened to the audio, he doesn’t come off as joking. The whole clip is just him making fun of Palin, and throwing in some sexist “humor” is par for the course for Beck.

13. saraeanderson
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

I dare them. They’re clearly hell-bent on killing the Republican party.

14. marginallyyours
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

So then we’d have two national leaders who have no freaking clue what the VP’s job is. Lovely.

15. Athenia
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

“I mean, you’d have to live up to the evil conservative stereotypes, you’d have no choice but to do so.”
    Huh? Is Glenn Beck making fun of himself?

16. Tabitha
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Good Grief! No, I’m not a Palin fan. But because of people like Beck, feminists have to defend her right to express her opinions and run for office.
    The more women that enter into politics, the less it will be about gender. More women in politics simply means that people are forced to consider their opinions rather than their clothes, their attractiveness, or any other irrelevant factor.
    Shut up G. B.!

17. daveNYC
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

You think Glenn Beck is being self-effacing? Seriously?

18. Ellen Marie-Frances
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

i laughed for about 5 minutes after i read your comment. it’s so true! Kim C. ftw!

19. Femgineer
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

I think it is one of the other guys that says “You’d have to live up to the evil conservative stereotypes, you’d have no choice but to do so.” Then I believe Glen Beck says “I’d have to.”
    Their voices are so similar though, it is difficult to distinguish.
    But to answer your question, I don’t think he’s making fun of himself, I think he’s just being an ass.

20. LurkinMerkin
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

“Go shoot a bear, make some stew, I’m hungry in here.”
    This isn’t the point at all – but killing large, dangerous animals doesn’t seem to fit in with the whole traditional gender roles thing. Might have been better for you to leave that part out before you ordered her into the kitchen, Glenn.

21. MorganFarquhar
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I do. In a more misguided period of my life, I listened to him almost daily. That’s his type of humor. He does it routinely, unlike Sean Hannity or O’Reilly, which is why I found him slightly more palatable than the latter two.
    Still not excusing it, but if someone tells me I’m being overly sensitive because Glenn was just poking fun at himself, nobody will be persuaded when I say, “You think he is just being self-effacing? Seriously?”

22. Auriane
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Kim … LOL … thank you so much for that!

23. Brittany
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

My mom used to be a big Glenn Beck fan, since she’s such a hardcore Fox News fan.
    I told her about this and she listened to the recording, and she absolutely loathes him now.

24. Athenia
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

I just listened to the clip and that was the weirdest radio segment ever.
    They just keep laughing.
    And then he disses her choice of words “hoot” and then proceeds to have a “hoot.”
    I never knew Glen Beck was part of the liberal media elite!!

25. Marc
    Posted December 1, 2009 at 8:44 am | Permalink

This will come back to bite the conservatives in the ass in 2012 – no matter who gets the nomination. The fact that the Republicans have been silent at comments like these is a great indication that unless it directly affects them, individual Republicans don’t give a shit about sexism.
    As liberal Democrats, we defend Sarah Palin against sexism – but keep it mind, it is Sarah Palin the woman, and not Sarah Palin the person, we’re defending.

26. Melissa
    Posted December 1, 2009 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Gah.
    I’m going to have nightmares about the mere concept of a Palin-Beck OR Beck-Palin ticket. *shudder*

27. LalaReina
    Posted December 1, 2009 at 10:54 am | Permalink

He’s a jerk but clearly he’s joking. I think the most embarrassing thing in the world would be feminists riding to the rescue to “defend” her and see her and Beck laughing at how ridiculous (and “humorless”) they are.

28. Terrils
    Posted December 1, 2009 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Your dad is on the money – isn’t it a shame that the effort to lift others up to the level of white men makes certain ignorant white men think they’re being lowered?

29. Becca
    Posted December 1, 2009 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

More important question: Does he seriously think he can run for president?? If he is actually a viable candidate, the world is cleeeearly more whacked out than I ever thought it was…