What We Missed.

Tracy Clark-Flory with more details on the right-wing “coming out” of Abby Johnson from Planned Parenthood.
And to add to that a post from the community site from Shelly Blair, co-host, Fair and Feminist on KEOS 89.1 who has interviewed Johnson before.
The New Yorker on what really happened during the Israeli attacks in Gaza.
Amanda debunks the “what if you were aborted,” argument anti-choicers love to throw around.
One of the new owners of the Chicago Cubs is also the first openly gay owner of any sports team.

1. Phenicks
    Posted November 4, 2009 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

How do you get that I hate you? Where did I say that I hate you ro said somethign hateful to you? If it is considered hateful to say that it was always a possibility that you and anyone born could have been aborted then it shows where you really stand on the abortion issue.
    Not a single person born was owed the life their mother gave them via not aborting them, there were still teh chance of you or me or anyone else being miscarried. There was stil la chance that you could have had a birth defect, there was still a chance that you could have threatened your mother’s life. NONE of those things were within your control and one of them WERE within your mother’s control IF she had access to safe, legal, affordable abortion.
    I tell you what, you show me where the majority of poor couples planned their pregnancies and you have a point. Plenty of poor women have legal access to abortion but it isn’t exactly affordable and they don’t have less desire for sex because they have less money. Or are you saying that poor people PLAN to have children they can’t afford (operative word here being poor)? Keeping an unplanned pregnancy doesn’t make it planned, it makes it wanted.

2. Phenicks
    Posted November 4, 2009 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

You just misread me, this isn’t your first time either. The first time you totally insulted me you for whatever reason didn’t realize I was a WOC.
    However:
    1) She said and I quote “I was a planned pregnancy” she would have been right in saying “the pregnancy was planned and would not have been aborted” because *she* didn’t factor into that decision, she was not a person at the time and she was totally unknown as an individual to her parents. She was a genderless embryo/fetus, her parents hope for a child.
    2)Who she is NOW and what she was then are different states as she is a human being with full rights and whatnot now but back then she was just another embryo/fetus and her existence was by no means a guarantee. How could you or anyone else POSSIBLY be for abortion rights and then spout that is somehow HATEFUL to say that someone could have been aborted or was not a gurantee?
    Is it also hateful to have menstrual cycles because you know, the egg your father’s sperm fertilized could have been the one before and that would have meant that *you* would never have existed. It’s simple science. The same goes for me, the same goes for you, the same goes for everyone. I think its incredibly arrogant to imply or worse state that *YOU* were somehow planned, the only people that could say that are those who were created in a fertility clinic an deven then chance came into play on which sperm got to the egg and which egg was chosen and implanted.

3. Phenicks
    Posted November 4, 2009 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

BINGO!

4. Phenicks
    Posted November 4, 2009 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Wonderful post and I completely concur.

5. Toni
    Posted November 4, 2009 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Oh please, your whole post was incredibly hateful and like i_muse said you completely picked apart and misinterpreted the words. That is very troll-like behavior.
    “I tell you what, you show me where the majority of poor couples planned their pregnancies and you have a point.”
    Like right here, I said poor people CAN plan a pregnancy. Not that the majority of them do.
    The article linked above says that there’s countless things that could result in a person not existing. Like if my dad’s fiance didn’t dump him for another guy, then he might have never met my mother and therefore I wouldn’t exist.

6. Phenicks
    Posted November 4, 2009 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Hateful where? I disagreed with you, I made you uncomfrtable at the thought of your existence not being some absolute gurantee but I was not hateful towards you.
    Your insistance that I am a troll because I dont agree with you is hateful.
    If trolls are anti-racist I am a troll.
    If trolls are pro-choice even when it comes to sex-selection then I am a troll.
    If trolls are WOC then I am a troll.

7. Toni
    Posted November 4, 2009 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

“If trolls are people you disagree with and insult just because they disagree with you then I guess that makes me a troll.”
    That is pretty much the definition of a troll. You did insult me, were incredibly hateful and completely twisted my words to make it seem I was saying I was better than people who weren’t planned. I suggest you re-read your own posts because they were filled with hate towards me when I didn’t do anything to you.
    “I’ll do you the favor of ignoring you and all of your comments from here on out if you do the same for me.”
    No, I’m not going to do that. I highly doubt you would ignore my comments even if I did. As I said before, you like to twist things around so you will get angry.

8. Attagrrrl
    Posted November 4, 2009 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Me too! I volunteer at PP Bryan, and Abby Johnson trained me just a week or two before her “conversion.” After meeting her, I have to say she is the last person on earth I would ever have expected to join the other side. The training she conducted was really more like a pro-choice rally. She went on and on about how crazy the protesters are, how they’re against all reproductive health services, not just abortions, how they spread lies about Planned Parenthood; she told stories about how she has been harassed for 8 years and was totally defiant about it; she even mocked pro-lifers for trying to convert her. She said something like “I’m the director of a Planned Parenthood. I’ve picked my side.” She got everyone fired up, and I left thinking she was one of the most awesome women I had ever met. The fact that she would join up with the exact same crazies who have terrorized her for years is just beyond bizarre. And the idea that she had worked at PP for 8 years and never seen images of an abortion before? She told us she has had two abortions herself, but this ultrasound was somehow the first time she’s really been exposed to one? It all just seems really fishy, and I don’t know what to make of it.

9. Phenicks
    Posted November 4, 2009 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

WTH?
    I said if a troll is someone YOU disagree with AND (that means we’re still talking about something you’ve done here) insult JUST BECAUSE they disagree with YOU then I (as in I am the person you disagree with and have insulted just because you disagree with me) am a troll.
    I hate no one and as a woman of color who has been exposed to a lot of hate, accusing me of hating someone simply because we disagree is an insult to me. A huge one. Yet you continue to insult me because I disagree with you. That wont make me agree with you, it wont force me to see things your way.
    You *did* have a tone of “well that doesn’t work for ME because *I* was planned”- what does that say about those who weren’t? That they hold no water for an argument against pro-lifers who ask that silly question? Your response was scientifically false and I pointed that out, it also had an air of classism because a LOT of the people who are not planned come from poor homes. I pointed out those two things and all of a sudden- for no reason- I hate you? I don’t see the reasoning or logic you used to reach that conclusion about me. Everything I said about you could be applied to EVERY SINGLE HUMAN BEING ON EARTH, the BS you spouted about me was very specific to your assumptions and hatred toward me for daring to “step out of line” and shine a spotlight on your priviledge.

10. Gretchen
    Posted November 4, 2009 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

Hey there, fellow PK! *waves*
    Anyway, love this comment – you said everything I was thinking (and then some!) and articulated it so much better than I ever could. =)

11. ladybeethoven
    Posted November 5, 2009 at 3:31 am | Permalink

I was making a generalization, and that’s why I tried not to use “all,” in terms of the fact that churches that require more education = churches that are pro-choice. It’s a general rule, but not applicable in every case.
    However, I do want to point out that neither PCA nor LCMS (this coming from someone who was originally raised LCMS and attended an LCMS school before my parents divorced and my mom remarried my current dad*) would be considered “mainline.” They’re both splinter groups of larger churches, the Presbyterian Church USA (in which my dad was ordained) and the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, respectively. “Mainline” is meant to distinguish the original Protestant denominations that arrived in America from their offshoots, as well as from nondenominational or newer churches. As such, a “mainline” Lutheran, at least in the U.S., would belong to the ELCA, not LCMS or LCWS.
    (*I don’t see my bio dad anymore, so I consider my stepdad my dad. It’s a long story that I really don’t want to go into.)