Didn’t Ya Know- Choice Kills!

This is just, wow. I have no words. Ok, that’s a lie. I have one word: Bullsh*t. Make that two words: Hilarious bullsh*t.

This website aims to “expose choice as the killer it is”.

How, you ask?

Why, by selling T-shirts and bumper stickers with pictures of babies being stabbed by machetes, of course!

But don’t worry, that’s not the only technique this campaign is using to convince the world of how wrong it is to give women autonomy over their own bodies. They’ve also created a mascot- That’s right folks. Meet Judy, the talking embryo. All she wants is to “get out of here alive.” Unfortunately, a machete (the abortionist’s tool of choice, don’t ya know) enters and puts an end to that dream. The fate of the woman whose cartoon stomach has apparently just been stabbed with a machete is left unclear.

There are a billion things wrong with this picture- the absence of recognition of a woman’s personhood being one of them- but the most egregious in my mind is the cheesiness. I mean, as Chloe points out, can we at least have a little creativity? Some alliteration or something? Can I get an Emilia the Embryo?

Additionally, the “testimonies” from the models are hilariously fake, as evidenced by the tiny disclaimer after the fake comments and pics:

“*typical comments from typical young women but not necessarily these models”

Vomit. Next time you’re going to launch a campaign against women’s autonomy, maybe you should consult some real women first.

Big ups to Audacia Ray for the link.

1. Toongrrl
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Don’t tell me anymore stuff! I LIVE with Anti choicers!

2. Gayle Laakmann
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Please don’t provide standard links (eg, evil link) to these websites – you’re helping them! You are:
    1) Giving them traffic.
    2) Boosting their google rank.
    #1 can’t be avoided, but #2 can.
    Instead of using a link like this:
    evil link
    use
    evil link
    By adding rel=”nofollow”, you tell google (and other search engines) to not include that link when figuring out how important the choicekills.com is.
    If this is too tricky for you to do, then just type out, in plain text and not as a link, choicekills.com.

3. anonymous
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

hahaha. I thought that was what feminism is all about!

4. femmi
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

“I thought it was safe to have sex because if I got pregnant I’d have a choice. Well, it’s a trap because you won’t like either of the choices.”
    EITHER choice? I believe I have 3. Have they forgotten about the adoption option, or have they conveniently left that out of their propaghanda? I’m pro-choice, and I get a little frustrated that adoption choice gets left out of the discussion.

5. Rachel
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Go easy on the kid! She hasn’t even been born yet! Do you really expect children of this age to have completely mastered grammar?? Well, I see where this is all going…if you won’t give a kid mercy for so much as a grammar mistake, no wonder all you pro-choice feminists are determined to KILL THEM for daring to exist!!!
    (This is verbal irony, btw…not an actual troll comment… :) )

6. Toni
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

When I first read that (your comment, I didn’t go to the site) I thought that meant 3 out of 4 people are immortal.
    How about this? Life: No one makes it out alive.

7. Sex Toy James
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Perhaps you could separate them into different painful issues, perhaps not. I’m sure that they’re both bad, but I can better identify with the economic issue. I don’t mean to belittle your feelings at all. I just mean that I don’t need to empathize entirely with you to believe that women deserve a choice. Actually, I don’t see that I do need to be able to put myself in your position at all. This issue isn’t about my feelings. It’s about a person’s right to choose how to live her life. Whether I can identify with you or not really shouldn’t affect the validity of your rights.
    I do empathize with your having a choice though. Being pregnant with an unwanted child isn’t something that I’d ever want to deal with. It’s not like abortion, adoption, or keeping the child are easy choices. It’s really in that class of problems that I don’t want to know how I’d deal with, and will attempt to avoid. I’m just lucky I’ve never had to go through anything similar to what you’ve had to go through. So I won’t tell you how you should have felt.

8. pmsrhino
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Question: Why are all the fetuses girls? (I assume girls fetuses from the names and that Zippy has “cleavage”) Lol, just a random thought that popped into my head while reading your list (they did make me giggle).

9. Lance
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

How can you have a talking embryo and not name it Emmy??
    It’s like they’re not even trying.

10. materialtruth415
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Um, they are leaving out more than 1 choice. Not just adoption, but what about safer sex? Morning after pill? To pretend like everyone believes sex=pregnancy=abortion is crazy. There are a lot of (most?) women who don’t think of it so casually, as just your regular contraception plan, like, Well, I can just get an abortion if I get pregnant! In the same tone you’d say, Well, I’ll get Domino’s if the local place won’t deliver. Geez.
    Also, the validity of the following as a feminist opinion is questionable, but many women would support choice without necessarily planning on using abortion themselves. I think that can often be articulated in a really condescending way, but supporting choice does not equal getting an abortion. And wanting an abortion does not equal wanting to kill a baby, but I think the absurdity there is patently obvious.
    Gross and over the top. Why is it always pro-choicers trying to compromise? We’re always the ones saying, Oh, let’s promote safe sex! Let’s promote adoption! Let’s distribute the morning after pill and condoms! Let’s improve wages, maternal health care, maternity leave, and childcare options, so that women can actually keep the babies if they want to.
    Meanwhile, the people who supposedly hate abortions have only one method: end choice. Why not tackle it from all sides if you really hate it that much? But then, I guess they really just want to end women’s right to choose, not abortions themselves.

11. englishteacher
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

When I went to my local “anti-choice” groups website I clicked the link to “other options.” Apparently they only option other than abortion is to give your child up for adoption. They had absolutely no information about how to get assistance so you could carry your pregnancy to term and keep your child.

12. ak33yu
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

I can’t help but notice that Judy the embryo doesn’t have an umbilical cord or a placenta.
    Without those two things, I think her chances of survival are a bit lower than 75%, honestly.
    For that matter, why don’t they include stats on Abortions By Jebus (miscarriage)? Apparently God gives between 20 and 30% of embryos the axe, but you don’t see these fuckwits banding together to create a website having an angstgasm about God Killing Embryos.

13. Crumpet
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

That’s fucking hilarious!

14. dubiouslygreat.com
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Besides all those true things you said, the logo looks like complete ass. That illustration would get laughed out of a first-year design class. It looks like somebody read the first chapter of “Adobe Illustrator for Dummies” and thought, hey! I’m a designer now! Ick.

15. Crumpet
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

That’s fucking hilarious!

16. teenfeministadvocate
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

I love how all of the “testimonials” ended with the phrase “kill a baby” just to really drive the point home because if you asked three different women how they felt about abortion, they are totally likely to all end their story with the phrase “kill a baby”.

17. Alarmist
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Pro-lifers want everyone to have their baby, but they are vehemently against providing health care for all those women and babies, thereby increasing the chance of more births and healthy births. I find that the most deplorable part of their hypocrisy.

18. Phenicks
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Every human being was an embryo/zygote/fetus before and anybody born after Roe v. Wade was up for grabs and could have been aborted an regardless, being born wasn’t option for anyone- it was a priveldge granted by mothers who either wanted children, were pro-life and pregnant, pro-choice and didnt think aborion was for her or someone who decided on adoption. Most people living are pretty glad and grateful they weren’t aborted so it isn’t hard to see oneself or sympthize with an about to be aborted fetus.
    However cismen couldnt envision being anything other than a cisman anymore than ciswomen cant envision being anything other than ciswomen. Besides, like a previous poster said you shouldnt have to put yourself in someone else’s shoes to recognize their rights. Therefore cismen should be able to see women’s rights as valid rights without thinking like women but rather as a human being.

19. Wednesday
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Since you include zygotes, it’s more like… only one in four make it out alive. 50-70% natural nonimplantation rate, and then of what remains, about 15% are miscarried and another 30% aborted. Abortion does account for more than miscarriage, sure, but Mother Nature is the one with the biggest casualty count.

20. raq
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Ah, sorry. Poor science and poor choice in words. I just think that zygote is an amusing term …
    But isn’t it true that one in four pregnancies end in natural miscarriage? Or is abortion included in that statistic? (Or am I wildly off mark?)

21. Mar
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Ah, but their website will thrive in this sound byte world! See? They thought of that one all by theirself.

22. Mar
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

I like that the little fetus is caucasian.

23. Laura_M
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

If I wind up with a bruise on my forehead tomorrow, I’ll know why. Head, meet desk. Again.

24. Juli
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

No, a true feminist would give birth to the baby and then eat it. Duh.

25. Juli
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

Oh. My. God. How about this?
    “The first is to abort your baby and have to remember it. The second choice is to have it and raise it by yourself.”
    WHERE THE FUCK IS DADDY? Because a woman having sex outside of marriage can’t possibly have a loving, stable boyfriend, and a woman in a marriage can’t possibly not want to get pregnant. Yea. And what about relatives? My mom told me once that if I got pregnant she would raise the baby for me so I didn’t have to quit school (it weirded me out a bit, but I appreciate the sentiment). They are referring to a fraction of women. AND the entire middle “testimony” seems like it’s anti-sex, not anti-abortion. I wish they would keep their frickin’ causes straight.

26. Alessa
    Posted October 22, 2009 at 10:43 am | Permalink

I know.. I was looking at this and wondering what high school student did they pay 30 bucks to bullshit that typographic nightmare and throw in a fetus more reminiscent of an albino turd. And that knife… Oh that knife. Intro to illustrator, anyone? Gradient? Really? I can hear it now… “well I’ll just make it fade from dark gray to light gray to make it seem shiny!”
    Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant. Because gradient is known for making things look professional and really adding something to the work!

Kudos for trying, I guess. I pray it’s a high school student, because then it wouldn’t be too bad. But honestly it’s probably someone from their bible study group who thinks of themselves as “artistic”.
    (Apologies for the rant.. But I’m a design student and I burst out laughing when I saw that logo. And that is exactly what the teacher would have said if it were in class and there were a critique.)

27. kahri
    Posted October 22, 2009 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Hi Phenicks, I’m sorry if my comment was hurtful or offensive. I was trying to express frustrations with anti-choice men based on what my reality has been. I wasn’t trying to co-opt an experience that wasn’t mine. I am a ciswoman, but I do feel masculine and feminine at the same time. I don’t know how to explain it otherwise. I know it’s not the same thing as being trans. I started to write a big long paragraph about empathy and rights and what I think about that, but it’s not really important. I’m sorry for being hurtful. I’m trying to express a real frustration I have, but I’m gonna check my words more carefully in the future.

28. prettyinpink
    Posted October 22, 2009 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Oh come on. Fighting for the right for abortion to exist is one thing, fighting against people looking to help women who have decided to carry to term is quite another. Most CPCs have tons of donations to give to mothers who are carrying to term which Planned Parenthood does not. It’s hard to ask for cooperation in health care reform and sex education when you want to fight for the removal of their charity box.

29. femmi
    Posted October 22, 2009 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Really? Interesting. This anti-choice site goes the opposite route and ignores adoption. Abstinence pushing I suppose. If we have sex, we’ll end up pregnant and either fall under the terrible guilt of abortion, or suffer attempting to take care of a child. Better not have sex.

30. Robin
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 2:43 am | Permalink

Is it bad that, when I read the part about the bumper stickers (“3 x 11 1/2 inch _removable_ vinyl bumper stickers”), the “removable” part really struck me?
    I’m not sure how I feel about my initial thoughts – ha! Removable. Abortion. I’m 12. (=I recognize that this is superficial and childish “humor”.) Also, they did not see that. Haha, they’re dumb.
    Spluh – at least I’m questioning my ideas! Go me!

31. GildedButterfly
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

CPCs are not just “looking to help women who have decided to carry to term,” they do everything they can to FORCE a woman to carry to term. A recent congressional study found that at 87% of CPCs make it a practice to disseminate false information – that abortion causes breast cancer, “post-abortion syndrome,” and will make you infertile and cause future miscarriages. They present themselves as real clinics but are staffed by non-medical professionals who hand out over-the-counter pregnancy tests, claim the test takes an hour to run, and in the meantime “counsel” women with medically inaccurate information to scare and shame them out of choosing abortion. They have also been known to lie about test results and tell women inquiring about abortions they are not pregnant when they really are, in hopes of delaying them past the abortion cutoff point. Subverting women’s bodily autonomy in this way is NOT acceptable.
    Sorry, a “charity box” doesn’t excuse coercion and manipulation and flat-out lies. Also, the support that CPCs give to mothers who carry to term usually consists of giving them a place to stay and help with medical care UNTIL THEY GIVE THEIR BABY UP FOR ADOPTION. After that, they’re on their own. Homeless, jobless, too bad. Depressed? Change your mind about adoption? Too bad. They’ll lie and tell you you don’t have the right to change your mind, even though there’s a legal window in which you can. All CPCs want is the baby, the woman is just an incubator. And they don’t want to help the woman have a productive life raising her own child, they push adoption so the baby goes to a “better” parent.
    Shotgun Adoption