That’s Gay: No Homo

The newest from Bryan Safi takes on “No homo.” But as commenters pointed out, what’s up with the Tara Reid comment?

Jay Smooth has some background on the phrase in the hip hop community, which has been around for quite some time.
Props to commenter raspberrying for pointing out Safi’s new video to us in this week’s WFR.

1. Comrade Kevin
    Posted October 12, 2009 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Take the insecurity we all feel when being boxed into ill-fitting gender roles, combine with a dose of homophobia, and add a hefty dose of hyper-masculinity bravado and….there we have *no homo.
    *Closely related to the I’m-not-gay man pat/hug.

2. Ian
    Posted October 12, 2009 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

I’ve heard a lot of female friends use it too. Its just plain annoying and blatantly homophobic. Anyway, another great video from infomania. I wonder if they are going to do a trans themed trope sometime.

3. Gular
    Posted October 12, 2009 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

This was mentioned in the comments of yesterday’s “What we missed”. Can that commenter get credit for citing it here first?

4. Gular
    Posted October 12, 2009 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

The commenter was raspberrying.

5. jellyleelips
    Posted October 12, 2009 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Loves it, except the dig at Tara Reid. I think the best moment was after the face pissing rap, when Brian just stared aghast. Priceless.

6. vegkitty
    Posted October 12, 2009 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Bryan never fails to make me laugh and think at the same time.
    My friends and I have started using “no hetero” to make fun of the “no homo” phenom. “Gosh your boobs look great today… no hetero.”

7. GREGORYABUTLER10031
    Posted October 12, 2009 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

No homo is old news in the hip hop world – Juelz Santana and Cam’ron of The Diplomats coined the phrase nearly five years ago
    So this is not exactly breaking news here…..

8. Toni
    Posted October 12, 2009 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

I’ve never heard anyone say “no homo” but I don’t listen to rap/hip hop and none of friends do either.

9. silkarth
    Posted October 12, 2009 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

Love me some Brain Safi. Jay Smooth also did a great vid about “no homo” a while back.

10. silkarth
    Posted October 12, 2009 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Er, Bryan, not Brain.

11. JosephLillo
    Posted October 12, 2009 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

I use “no hetero” too; the more potential for homoeroticism, the more likely I’ll use it.

12. Flowers
    Posted October 12, 2009 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

ditto.
    I have heard, “but I’m not gay!” before. I guess this is the short version?

13. Vanessa
    Posted October 12, 2009 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Done, thanks for pointing out!
    And GregoryButler10031, I note that the phrase isn’t a new one in the post :)

14. Gular
    Posted October 12, 2009 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

No worries! Thanks for adding it. :-)

15. Juli
    Posted October 12, 2009 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

HAHAHA that’s great, I’m stealing that.

16. SassySexpert
    Posted October 12, 2009 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

I absolutely love this video. I think it is so smart, accessible and funny. I love it so much that I actually broke some blog silence over at my blog (www.sassysexpert.com) to discuss it.

17. katemoore
    Posted October 13, 2009 at 1:43 am | Permalink

What the FUCK was with the Tara Reid comment? I’m quite honestly flabbergasted and ashamed of you for posting something what that kind of blatant misogyny.

18. Gnatalby
    Posted October 13, 2009 at 8:03 am | Permalink

I still enjoyed it enough that I’m glad it was posted, but it might have been nice if the editors noted that there was something offensive coming up.

19. Gnatalby
    Posted October 13, 2009 at 8:05 am | Permalink

Ooops, I meant this as a reply to katemoore.

20. Brittany
    Posted October 13, 2009 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Can’t say I appreciate the Tara Reid comment.
    I don’t understand it, though…he always talks about gay rights (jokingly jabs at homophobes, but still), and yet makes a comment about women?
    W.T.F, hypocrite much?

21. Vanessa
    Posted October 13, 2009 at 9:10 am | Permalink

I actually completely missed that. Thanks for pointing out folks, I’ll make a note of it.

22. Toongrrl
    Posted October 13, 2009 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

I love “That’s Gay”!! No heteronormative!!

23. Yuu
    Posted October 15, 2009 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Aside from the Tara Reid comment, which I didn’t understand at all… I found this incredibly amusing while addressing the issue at hand. I’ve never heard that phrase before, but for some reason it doesn’t surprise me… :(
    Thanks for posting.