Coming out is so gay

My latest Current crush Bryan Safi on why coming out is super gay.

1. SamLL
    Posted September 28, 2009 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

“Top that, breeders!”

2. Tia
    Posted September 28, 2009 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

I hate the term “breeder”.
    Other than that, there were some funny moments in there.

3. Toni
    Posted September 28, 2009 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

“I’m taking everybody with me!”

4. Gopher
    Posted September 28, 2009 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

I think he meant it humorously.

5. Tia
    Posted September 28, 2009 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

I figured that much.
    I still hate the term “breeder”, used for humour or not, in the same way that I hate racial slurs, whether they’re in a joke or not. There’s such a strong association in my own mind between certain words and degradation that even used in the context of “all in good fun”, it rubs me wrong.
    I’m not trying to raise a stink about it. The video was still funny. I just get irked hearing certain things.

6. alessandra
    Posted September 28, 2009 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

hahah at eight in the morning after no sleep that was so goddamn funny! I’ve got the biggest man-crush on him as well…

7. Comrade Kevin
    Posted September 28, 2009 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Strategic outings for dramatic emphasis! How genius.

8. Gular
    Posted September 28, 2009 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

My coming out was all wrong! Do I get a do over?
    this made me lawl.

9. Toni
    Posted September 28, 2009 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

I have yet to see the term “breeder” used for anything other than humor. It isn’t a slur.

10. Toni
    Posted September 28, 2009 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

11. ElleStar
    Posted September 28, 2009 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

I see the term a lot in childfree communities. It’s definitely a slur there.

12. Tia
    Posted September 28, 2009 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

I missed the part where your experiences dictated the experiences of the world.

13. Brittany
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 2:44 am | Permalink

The term “breeder” in this video annoys me. I know it’s used humorously, and unfortunately, people don’t take insults against “normal” people seriously (cracker, breeder, ect.) But imagine if it was used in another context.
    “Top THAT, (homosexual slurr)”
    “Top THAT, (racial slurr)”
    Just because it’s in a joking manner or because it’s against a group of people that’re the “norm” doesn’t make it okay.

14. Hrovitnir
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

I appreciate that “breeder” is a genuinely offensive word, but at the same time it comes down to the same deal as racism toward white people not being the same as systematic oppression of everyone who’s not white.
    Most people have kids (whether that’s really the best choice for them or not). People who choose not to have kids get harassed about it pretty much their entire lives.
    I will not allow myself to call someone a “breeder”, ever, even if they’re an arsehole. But it will never be on a par with calling someone a “fag”, and it makes me wince that people would equivilate the two.

15. a.k.a. Ninapendamaishi
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

“Breeder” IS a slur, AND it’s also almost simultaneously used with a heavy sense of humor or irony.
    Whereas when “fag” is used in a serious context, it’s absent of humor, only malice.
    To me “breeder” is a slur in a similar way to what “Bro” is (for fratboys) on college campuses. Yes, it’s generally used by people who don’t have tons of respect for that respective lifestyle, but they’re also people who don’t pose any real threat to it either, and don’t particularly want to.