Weekly Feminist Reader

In DC and nine other states, insurance companies have claimed that domestic violence is a pre-existing condition.
What is the role of privileged white women in the reproductive justice movement?
Sean Lennon defends that Purple magazine photo.
Even Kleenexes are gendered now?
Cara and Amanda write about Tucker Max so we don’t have to.
Does parenthood make women more liberal and men more conservative?
How the coverage of Chris Brown is bad for understanding abuse.
A new documentary on water rights and access in Michigan.
On the unconventional anti-sex-tourism activism of FEMEN, a women’s rights group in Ukraine.
A Florida group wants to outlaw birth control, and the Alabama Supreme Court upheld the criminalization of sex toys.
Renowned coach C. Vivian Stringer enters the Basketball Hall of Fame.
Should the people who killed a white man for dating a black woman be charged with a hate crime?
A high school in Iowa strip-searched five teenage girls.

Tami on youth, aging, beauty, and the folly of chasing perfection.
What if colleges treated sexual assault as the public health epidemic it is? (And more from SarahMC.)
Hanging on to housing in one of New York’s foreclosure-ridden neighborhoods.
The United Nations tackles the issue of financially surviving divorce.
How the Associated Press stylebook fails transgender people.
Did you know blogging is dominated by old men? Er, well Technorati says so.
Butch is “back”? Did it ever go away?
When you realize a historical feminist hero performed in blackface, can you still be inspired by the positive parts of her story?
Two new studies examine home birth vs. hospital birth.
Michelle Dean pleads, let Peggy be Peggy! (And, I might add, let Carla be Carla! And let Betty be Betty!)
On racial anxiety and right-wing opposition to Obama.
After 4 years of gay marriage, Massachusetts has the lowest divorce rate in the nation.
Newsflash: Women directors exist.
Submit to the Carnival of Feminists!
What are you all reading and writing this week?

1. TD
    Posted September 14, 2009 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Black men are not a unified group, nor are white men, I have no idea why that is difficult for people to understand. Whats more racism doesn’t even require power, it only requires bigotry. You could find the most powerless person in the entire world, and that person could still be a bigot whether they’re a racist, a sexist, etc.
    You might need some manner of power to transform racism into discrimination, but to suggest that there needs to be some broad based power is ridiculous. Localized power and individual power are quite real and quite capable of causing discrimination and in this case, hate crimes.

2. abileen
    Posted September 14, 2009 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

I’m getting really tired of the frenzy surrounding strip searches. If it was reasonable for me to think that someone stole $100 from me, I’d sure as hell make sure no one was hiding it in her bra. Furthermore, I have never seen an article bemoaning the humiliation that a male endured because he had to remove his clothes in front of a bunch of men…seriously, it’s like people think young girls are so pure and modest that being naked in front of other women will somehow scar them.

3. Steven
    Posted September 14, 2009 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

I think there is a important distinction between saying something is the definition of racism and something is a definition of racism.
    (but I am still opposed to the definition racism = prejudice + power. I reiterate… there is a natural human reaction to adopt belief system or philosophical position that legitimize, justifies, or minimizes someones faults, and this definition of racism does that all to well).

4. Steven
    Posted September 14, 2009 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

The ability to beat someone down does not constitute an ‘exceptional circumstance.’
    It really is not that hard just one person (never mind 12) to grab a bat and run up on someone.
    Also, it does not take ‘exceptional’ circumstances for someone to use their racism for the worst.
    A supervisor that is racist could make someones life hell. Women in the feministing community report being cat-called then called stuck up white bitches.
    One should not get fixated on ‘exceptional’ racism… there is enough ‘mundane’ racism out there as it is.
    My brother is engaged to a black woman. People that know the the bride to be laugh and wish they could have seen her fathers face when 1)she started to date that white boy and 2) when he found out they were getting married.
    I have had breakfast or lunch out with them and seen black men just staring at us, obviously pissed off that she is going out with him.
    I have gone out shopping with her to help her buy stuff for him and have got the same thing.
    There are a lot of racist black dudes out there.

5. Emily
    Posted September 14, 2009 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

I actually liked that interview. I think they have the right idea over all and find the use of their bodies as protest fine because it is directly related to one of their main points, that a person has a right to dress how they want without harassment or abuse from another person.
    GREGORYABUTLER10031-
    I don’t think they are saying that people can’t look at or appreciate someone else when they are dressed provocatively or otherwise, just that that doesn’t give anyone the right to be rude or treat less then human.
    The interviewee definitely had some mis-perceptions about western feminists and some xenophobic attitudes about men from other cultures as well but I think overall, she had the right idea and all it would take for her to change her mind would probably be a little exposure real feminists. I think it is great that these women are being activists to address some very serious problems, and I think it is also good that they’re solution isn’t to shame the sex workers.

6. tink manslaughter
    Posted September 15, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

We also have an adopted child and I don’t think it’s changed how either of us thought of things. Being a stay-at-home Dad has definitely made my all ready liberal husband more so. But being the “bread winner” has had no effect on my beliefs. Then again, I was not RAISED to define myself through that. As panned out in the clarified comments, there is little info here and the issue is much more complicated than what was presented.