Aussie rugby campagin against homophobia

Via OutSports, we find out that Australia’s national rugby union team, The Wallabies, have joined forces with gay rugby union club the Sydney Convicts to fight against homophobia. (At left is David Pocock of The Wallabies.)
The campaign – This Is Oztouts itself as “celebrating diversity and challenging homophobia,” and uses its online photo gallery to feature athletes (and everyone else!) holding up messages supporting GLBT rights.
h/t Morgan.

1. jflyles
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

oh man that is HOT! a cutie with an anti-homophobia sign? sign ME up that’s what!

2. DeafBrownTrash
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

I hear ya. He’s realllyyyyyyyy fine ;-)

3. hfs
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

One wishes the NFL, or any American professional sports league or TV network of national significance would do something like this. I’m not holding my breath though…

4. SarahSimone
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

My thoughts exactly. I’m so glad this post was at the top of the page, it gave me a happy boost.

5. JoanOfArc
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Gee, this is enough to make me re-think my (nearly) universal dislike of professional sports.
    Joan

6. salad_shooter
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

I couldn’t agree more!

7. Jenicole627
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

I play rugby, and as a rugger, I am stoked to see this campagin! It’s awesome!
    Also, the men’s team practiced on the same field as us. It was always a nice bit of eye-candy as a pick-me-up when you are on the sidelines puking your guts out from running. And they wear the short shorts.

8. Jenicole627
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

I play rugby, and as a rugger, I am stoked to see this campagin! It’s awesome!

9. SeattleGem
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

I play women’s rugby, and I’m not sure I can speak for all men’s rugby, but they are some of the most accepting men I’ve met. The stereotype is that all women ruggers are lesbians, and all male ruggers are lust crazed cavemen. Neither of these are always true, and in fact, mostly men and women ruggers are best friends, and share so much in common. I have not met a single homophobic rugby player, but then again, I don’t play professional, nor do I play in a non-American community. In America, rugby players are already considered “weird” or the “other”, so perhaps that’s why.
    Good for Australia!

10. BackOfBusEleven
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

I love rugby, but I never see it on TV anymore. I used to watch The Wallabies all the time.

11. Sass
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

I love this! Looking at all of the pics of the rugby players makes me smile- no adolescent “but what if they think I’m gay” embarrassment, they all look very confident and proud to be supporting this campaign.
    After a horrific sports season in Australia this year, with a number of rugby league players committing sexual assaults and being charged with domestic violence; and afl players caught using drugs and committing drunken assaults, this restores my faith (a little bit) in professional sportsmen.
    I will be heading over to the This is Oz website whenever I start to feel ashamed (as a feminist) of being a die-hard rugby and footy fan to cheer myself up looking at all the fantastic pics. Hopefully we’ll be seeing even more support from players in all codes on the site soon!

12. Pharaoh Katt
    Posted August 20, 2009 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Woot! This is so awesome! Now if only the AFL blokes would do the same thing.
    Yay Wallabies!