Welcome home Euna Lee and Laura Ling!

As I’m sure you’ve already heard, journalists Euna Lee and Laura Ling were freed and returned home today after more than four months jailed in North Korea.

Thirty hours ago, Ms. Ling said, “We feared that any moment we could be sent to a hard labor camp.” Then, she said, they were taken to another location.
“When we walked through the doors, we saw standing before us President Bill Clinton,” she said to applause. “We were shocked but we knew instantly in our hearts that the nightmare of our lives was finally coming to an end, and now we stand here, home and free.”

Pic via Shakesville.

1. katliz
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

This story has kept me walking on air all day. Congrats to these corageous women and their families!
    The other thing I’ve taken away from this is how Obama, through Clinton, is showing the world just how diplomacy works. Clinton had a solid working relationship with N Korea, and by sending him, gave them some respect in a dicy scenario. I have mixed feelings about Clinton, but this is his strength, and seeing him work for the Administration (and our country) in the regard reminds me why I campaigned for him.

2. katliz
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

…forgive my spelling errors. Trying to eek this out on my lunch break!

3. TheYoungVote
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

I won’t lie – I sort of cried of laughter when I heard Laura Ling say “We saw, standing before us, President bill Clinton.”
    peaceful diplomacy can be so beautiful and such a great contradiction to the last horrid decade in American history.

4. Cora D
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

This is a wonderful story and I too giggled over Laura Ling seeing Clinton.
    One thing I’ve noticed in the reporting on their return is that these two women are now being referred to as “young women.” Prior to their release, they were referred to as “journalists.” I find it odd that there is now a focus on their age and gender, as if those two factors played a major role in their situation – that if they had been older and male, they wouldn’t have needed rescuing.
    And is it because an older male came to their “rescue” that the media is now focusing on their age and gender?

5. Destra
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Yay!
    Can we now open a discussion on whether it hurts or helps the causes within North Korea by trying to go undercover? Let’s.

6. ikkin
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

This is such good news. I am so happy for them and their families. I can only imagine what a struggle they have been through.
    On a side note, here’s the YouTube video if you wanna see the emotional moment in action:
    Don’t read the comments if you want this moment to stay sweet.

7. llevinso
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

I was so happy when I heard this yesterday and seeing the pictures of them reunited with their families just makes me smile :)

8. Femgineer
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Oooo. One of the comments said that Euna is selfish and an unfit mother for being in a dangerous situation. I do believe that no one says that active duty service men are unfit fathers who are in constant danger.
    Typical sexist bullshit.

9. Jessica Lee
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

I was really glad to see them make it out alive, and to be back with their families. I’m also glad that this is getting the publicity it deserves.

10. Gular
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Welcome back home. We’re all glad you’re back and well.

11. Gular
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Welcome back home. We’re all glad you’re back and well.

12. Gular
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Welcome back home. We’re all glad you’re back and well.

13. rustyspoons
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

That’s great news!

14. visibility
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

it’s hard to watch that and not tear up. so happy for them and their families. good for pres clinton for helping to make this happen.

15. LalaReina
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

I have been watching the Laura marathon on Current TV a couple days now, congrats to all those involved in their release.

16. aleks
    Posted August 7, 2009 at 12:52 am | Permalink

For once Bill Clinton bringing women home is a good thing.