The Lorax coming to the big screen

News is out that Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment are joining forces to produce a new 3-D version of the Dr. Seuss classic The Lorax(warning: loud circusy music on that link!). From Variety:

“Though published in 1971, “The Lorax” has a timely “green” theme. It is narrated by a greedy entrepreneur who, despite warnings from the tree-loving Lorax, strips a forest of its stock of Truffula trees to manufacture clothing. The results are catastrophic as all the animals leave and nothing’s left.”

I loved that book, and it’s true that the green theme was before it’s time. With ever-increasing fears about global warming and environmental impacts the message of this book rings really true. “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it’s just not.”
Via Variety

1. chrisbean
    Posted July 30, 2009 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Please, please, pleasepleaseplease just don’t let Mike Myers or Jim Carrey within spitting distance of this.

2. americanaexotica
    Posted July 30, 2009 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Agreed! this is my favorite book of all time, and i’d really prefer it didn’t turn into some creepy circus show full of thinly veiled sex jokes!

3. bifemmefatale
    Posted July 30, 2009 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Actually, the green theme of The Lorax was not before its time. There was a huge upsurge in environmental consciousness in the 60s-early 70s, following such events as the publication of Silent Spring in 1962, passage of the Clean Air Act in 1963, and the Cuyahoga River catching fire in 1969.

4. Brandi
    Posted July 30, 2009 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait! I got this book for my children, and it’s brought about excellent conversations about business, greed, and the environment.

5. safa
    Posted July 30, 2009 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

This is a wonderful book. It was one of my favorites and my children have a copy too. We also have the cartoon made in the 1970′s on video tape. I think it is a good introduction to teaching children how interconnected the world is.
    I think that Dr. Seuss’s books had a lot of themes related to improvement for society and the environment. Horton Hears a Who “a person is a person no matter how small” and the Sneeches “Sneetches are Sneetches and no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches.”

6. bifemmefatale
    Posted July 30, 2009 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

And anti-war messages in The Butter Battle Book!
    He may just be the most subversive liberal author for tots ever.

7. RMJ
    Posted July 30, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

I remember doing an interpretive reading of this for a talent show or something…hope it’ll turn out well.

8. aleks
    Posted July 30, 2009 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

For the grown-up-and-dry version, try Jared Diamond’s Collapse. I’m reading now about how the people of Easter Island destroyed their environment, and the point is incredibly obvious and creepy. They were so stupid, just like us.

9. gwen86
    Posted July 30, 2009 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

They should have former Ambassador to the UN John Bolton play the Lorax. They have a striking resemblance, no?

10. kendraj
    Posted July 30, 2009 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

There is actually no “just” in the quote from the book. It’s just (ha ha) “nothing is going to get better, it’s not”.

11. aleks
    Posted July 30, 2009 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Walrus bears can be used for good or for evil. Bolton would be the guy in BBB demanding that the bombs be dropped.

12. OperationCounterstrike
    Posted July 30, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Actually Dr. Seuss had two better enviro-books: THE KING’S STILTS and BARTHOLEMEW AND THE OOBLECK. STILTS teaches near-professional ecology to read-to-me kids–remember the problem was Lord Droon wouldn’t let the King play on stilts, so the King was too depressed to organize and rally the Patrol Cats to stop the nizzards from eating the roots of the dyke-trees which kept the water out of the low-lying land. The cascade of causes. And OOBLECK was a funny and terrifying enumeration of the victims of a climate-disaster–trumpeters, soldiers, cooks, laundresses, everybody.
    Either of these would be much better than THE LORAX which is preachy and dull. Unlike LORAX, they tell STORIES, with PLOTS, and changes in the dramatic intensity.

13. James
    Posted July 31, 2009 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I was actually thinking this would be the perfect part for Wilford Brimley… but he’s also a serious right-winger (he was McCain’s celeb-endorsement answer to Chuck Norris for Huckabee, if I recall) so I think he’d be about as likely to participate as John Bolton would be.

14. Stephanie
    Posted July 31, 2009 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

We watched the original cartoon version of this in my environmental science class a few years ago and I really liked it…I hope the new one will be just as good.

15. Ryan
    Posted August 2, 2009 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Hi–I really like this community, and only recently did I realize readers could post. Yay!
    Reading The Lorax as an adult, I don’t draw the same environmental stewardship messages from the text as I did when I was a kid. I see the book now as an indictment of industrialization and nepotism. The Lorax, as a character, is a whistle-blower, not a community activist. I’m also more cynical as an adult by celebrations of rugged individualism as the catalyst for change in children’s books.
    Along that vein of individualism, I’m curious how/if at all this book will be co-opted by Hollywood. Probably along the axis of solidifying imagery of environmentalists as white and wealthy or highly educated. Other predictions?

16. Life
    Posted December 24, 2009 at 5:54 am | Permalink

The most rapid increase in recent years of the number of automobiles in use had accentuated the problems of parking at the time of the Tokyo Olympic Games. The Organizing Committee set up a special sub-committee which defined its basic policies as follows:
    1. Establishment and improvement of Parking Lots In principle, parking lots with a sufficient capacity to accommodate all cars would be established and maintained at each Games site. If this proved impracticable, parking lots would be established either on a permanent or temporary basis in adjacent areas within a walking distance of 30 minutes. Where it was not possible to accommodate all of the vehicles required in those parking lots, restrictions would then be imposed on the vehicles in the order of priority.
    2. Operation and Management of Parking Lots An estimation would be made of the number of vehicles to be parked at each of the Games sites. Stickers would be issued indicating the parking lot to which each authorized car had been assigned.
    3. Publicity Campaign General spectators would be advised to use public transport facilities such as the National Railways, tramcars and public buses inasmuch as the parking capacity would be limited.