Vintage sexism: Help me open this bottle edition

More vintage sexist ads here.

1. Reggie
    Posted May 18, 2009 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

those make my head hurt… especially the one where he’s stepping on the woman’s head, wtf?!
    and the spanking one, great way to promote spousal abuse… ugh.

2. beccihiggs
    Posted May 18, 2009 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

I went “fucking hell!” and “uh-wh-I-!!” like a million times while looking over that page. I can’t even believe some of those things were ever considered even vaguely printable. “Indoors women are useful – even pleasant.”???
    What ads of today do you lot think the feminists of the next fifty years will look back on in the same way we look at these? Personally I hope they look at the airbrushed pictures in men’s magazines (or even magazines in general, but the women in men’s mags tend to have that extra touch of super-shiny-pumped-up-plasticness about them) and say “wtf, why did they make them look like aliens?”.

3. DashaK
    Posted May 18, 2009 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

That one is real!? I always thought it was from one of those fridge magnets or postcards, where they add a sarcastic caption to a 1950s graphic.

4. Miranda Spencer
    Posted May 18, 2009 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Alot of this type of thing was still quite popular when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s. It actually helped stir my feminist consciousness by virtue of its insulting and condescending nature.
    But LYSOL up your vagina!? Can you say toxic?

5. Miranda Spencer
    Posted May 18, 2009 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

But LYSOL up your vagina!? Can you say toxic?

6. Miranda Spencer
    Posted May 18, 2009 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

But LYSOL up your vagina!? Can you say toxic?

7. HoyaGuy
    Posted May 18, 2009 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

Dear Indelicate Women,
    We shall not stand this, I say! This aggression will not stand!
    Signed,
    Society

8. Toni
    Posted May 18, 2009 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

I saw the spanking one before so it didn’t surprise me this time but the rug one just made me gag.

9. lost password
    Posted May 18, 2009 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

What is it with eyebrows and people from that era? Like… they all seem to have the same ones.

10. Pantheon
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 5:48 am | Permalink

Did anyone click the link and look at the rest of them? I get them all except the first one. What’s sexist about the first one (the lipstick ad)?

11. Pantheon
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 5:52 am | Permalink

Yeah I was really wondering– is it the same lysol we have now? I hope it was at least a less concentrated version.

12. Napalm Nacey
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 6:04 am | Permalink

I think it’s supposed to look like a penis. The lipstick, I mean. It’s a bit of a stretch but a lot of things in ads are intentional.

13. Pantheon
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 6:26 am | Permalink

Its quite a bit of a stretch compared to the other ads on the page. With the rest of them you think “wow, you’d never see that nowadays” but the lipstick one looks like a normal ad that you could totally see in a magazine these days.

14. rpa123
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 8:40 am | Permalink

“Blow in her face and she’ll follow you anywhere.” ?!?! That’s disgusting. What’s even more disgusting is this ad was probably seen as sexy back then.

15. MiriamCT
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 10:47 am | Permalink

oh no, it’s the same stuff. how freaky scary is that?

16. MiriamCT
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 10:50 am | Permalink

yeah, that was the one that really made me gag.

17. Dena
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

You know what’s interesting? If you look at most of the cigarette ads from the 40s and 50s, they were extremely sexist. I first saw the “Blow in her face and she’ll follow you anywhere” ad last year and it appalled me. What appalled me even more were other cigarette ads that were even more blatantly sexist than that one. Also, most of them aren’t only blatantly sexist, but they’re blatantly racist too!
    If anyone wants to seem there, here’s the link: http://www.quazen.com/Arts/Visual-Arts/12-Vintage-Cigarette-Ads-They-Would-Never-Get-Away-with-Now.268657

18. robin.g
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

I “love” the ones that talk about beating your wife (or NOT beating her if she cooks a meal/removes a stain/cleans a toilet) – was it really totally acceptable to beat your wife in the 40′s, 50′s??

19. Cat