That’s why they call it Plan B, asshole.

Mike Galanos, Robert Tepper and Sylvester Stallone know the truth about EC.
CNN anchor Mike Galanos knows better about your contraception choices than you. In fact, he knows better than the FDA too! In response to the recent decision allowing 17-year olds to buy emergency contraception without a prescription, Galanos took it upon himself to write an opinion piece on the issue, imploring to parents that they’re being left in the dark while their irresponsible daughters make this “life-changing decision.”
The whole piece is enough to make you irate, although my favorite line is:

Ah yes, now we see what Galanos is really getting at: 17-year old women are not only not responsible enough to make decisions about their bodies, but will use EC as a means to have all The Sex they want and get away with it!
The random scenarios he poses are just as bad, completely stripping them of their agency (your boyfriends will make you take it!) while making them seem like reckless EC poppers who need “medical supervision” for a completely safe and, in fact, responsible choice when your regular contraception fails.

1. Nora Carrington
    Posted May 3, 2009 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Not enough coffee on board; to clarify:
    Plan B prevents ovulation. It may prevent fertilization. There is increasing evidence that it does not, ever, prevent implantation, but Barr Labs, the manufacturer, does allow for the possibility that the drug may successfully prevent pregnancy by preventing implantation. For hard-line anti-choicers, a fertilized egg is a “person,” so anything that interferes with implantation is no less an abortion than an abortion at 24 weeks.
    I’m of the opinion that even if there were incontrovertible proof that Plan B can never prevent implantation it wouldn’t make a difference, it’s the “after sex” part that the anti-choicers can’t get behind, for all the shaming, sex loathing, woman-hating reasons brilliantly outlined above.
    The point being only that “life changing” is a nod to the folks who can’t or won’t tell the difference between Plan B and abortion.

2. Monaxia
    Posted May 3, 2009 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Not to mention, when you take it, a lot of times it forces you to menstruate. I don’t know about -you- guys, but I sure think I’d like to spend $50 to have my period all month long, after having all That Sex.

3. http://openid.aol.com/pointless011
    Posted May 3, 2009 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Let me just start off by saying that the ideal here would be for all adults to be able to have the freedom to make an informed decision about anything that affects their body.
    As for the issue of contraception, understand that the answer to this very thorny issue is not located in the “pro-choice” or the “anti-choice” camp. The problem with both of these opinion systems is that they make a grievous assumption: that some people don’t want to get pregnant. Actually, everyone wants to get pregnant, but they are prevented from experiencing the joy of parenthood by the evils of society.
    In today’s society, a 14-year-old mother is, as another poster put it, a “tragedy”. Well wake up. Creating another human being that loves you unconditionally means unconditional joy, no less. The problem is that the self interferes, and wants what the self calls “better”.
    To clarify: being president of a corporation is not good; having money is not good; being successful is not good; learning the ways of this world through school is not good. The prevalence of fools that try to attain these things, ignorant of what they really are, is not proof to the contrary. Yes, I’m universally condemning the goals of feminism, but also the goals of power (anti-feminism).
    While the issue may appear to be more difficult in the case of rape or unwanted pregnancy, it is not so. Both sides of the issue run dangerously close to baby hatred, and all people should stop and contemplate their assumptions on this issue. All in all, the answer to this issue is not of this world.

4. Legba Carrefour
    Posted May 3, 2009 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

I’m kinda shocked the original post didn’t pick up on this.
    “We are making it available to high school girls. We’re enabling teenagers to act carelessly with an easy way out.”
    The issue with that quote isn’t simply that it communicates the idea that teens will use birth control methods to enable having sex. That’s just dumb and a played out argument already
    The *real* sickening thing here is that Galanos is effectively saying that teens shouldn’t have access to birth control because it’s an easy way out and teens need to be punished with pregnancy for having sex.
    So the message here is that we need control over women’s bodies for the sake of punishment for failure to uphold a moral code. Ugh.

5. Betsy
    Posted May 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

That made me laugh out loud. I’m glad I wasn’t in my office when I read it. Thank you for this!

6. ShifterCat
    Posted May 4, 2009 at 12:46 am | Permalink

Are you serious? You honestly think that people can’t know their own minds as to whether they want children?
    Perhaps you haven’t considered the flaws inherent in claiming, “You don’t really think that, you’ve just been brainwashed by society”. First of all, it can be applied to damn near anything someone doesn’t like. Second, you too have been influenced by society; who are you to stand up and say that you have somehow managed to overcome all that and can now dictate to the rest of us what we truly feel? Third and most important, it’s discounting others’ arguments by denying their very capacity to make a reasoned argument — and if that’s not dehumanizing, I don’t know what is.

And that’s why mothers never abuse their children, or abandon them, or neglect them, or kill them. Oh wait, that’s not true.
    Motherhood can be a joy. It can also be a crushing burden. For most, it’s both — but it’s definitely NOT “unconditional joy”.
    Renee of Womanist Musings puts it better than I can.

7. asferdinand
    Posted May 4, 2009 at 1:09 am | Permalink

Actually, everyone wants to get pregnant…

LOL ^ infinity

8. asferdinand
    Posted May 4, 2009 at 1:10 am | Permalink

Whoops, that was meant to go to http://openid.aol.com/pointless011.
    Anyway, ShifterCat got to it first.

9. Cicada Nymph
    Posted May 4, 2009 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

I remember when I was a teenager and had sex for the first time with my boyfriend of two years. I was not on b-control and we didn’t use protection and I knew it was a bad decision but was really scared of getting pregnant. Scared enough that I told my mom and we went and got the equivalent of plan b from a drugstore. I can just imagine how horrible it would have been for me if I would have had a less understanding mother or one who would not have helped me. Also, if I had not had a mom I don’t think I could have gotten the nerve to go to a dad for help getting it. I still resent that my privacy had to be discarded (I really did not want to have to go to my mother either) to obtain a pill to make sure I didn’t get pregnant but it could have been a lot worse and for many girls I am sure it is.

10. Cicada Nymph
    Posted May 4, 2009 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

I DON”T WANT TO GET PREGNANT!!! I have my dogs that give me unconditional love. I love myself. I have friends and family that love me. I don’t need a baby because I am trying to fill some kind of hole. Having a baby because you want to receive unconditional love from something is actually a really shitty reason for having a baby. Guess what? Kids may love their parents no matter what (though this is not necessarily true) but they have a lot of needs and demands. There will also be a ton of things about their parents kids don’t like. Also, just because you have someone that loves you does not mean you will also have joy. Especially if you are 14 and have kids and follow your line of belief that money and success and school are bad so you have nothing to feed your kids with.

11. NomadSpirit
    Posted May 4, 2009 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

It seems like people of all ages should enjoy as many rights and freedoms as possible. Why set some arbitrary age and say everyone younger’s a slave to their parents? This seems like regress, not progress.

12. NomadSpirit
    Posted May 4, 2009 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

The truth is that saying all Republicans are “hillbillies” is more of an insult to “hillbillies” than it is to Republicans.
    I find no fault in people who live in rural areas, are poor, or have a low education level. Plenty of these so-called “hillbillies” are honest, compassionate, good people.
    On the other hand, anyone who actively advocates for conservative social and political policies is causing unnecessary suffering because these policies are intolerant, suppress individual choice, etc.
    I’m not saying all Republicans are bad people; I have Republican friends. But I like them *despite* the fact they are Republican. Being conservative is nothing to be proud of.
    There is nothing at all wrong, on the other hand, with being a so-called “hillbilly.”

13. NomadSpirit
    Posted May 4, 2009 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

This guy’s argument is totally convulouted.
    For one thing, he seem to think that society allowing teen girls to get Plan B is more harmful than society allowing him to have his own TV show. Clearly, he’s the only person oblivious to this irony.
    He should worry about the risks of using his national platform to influence our vulnerable children. Do we really need more kids growing up who think evidence isn’t important for supporting an argument? More kids who think that obsolete sexual stereotypes from the 19th century still possess some coherence in today’s world? More kids who think it’s OK to transparently grandstand on divisive cultural issues in order to further one’s own career?
    I wish Mike Galanos’s parents had taught him more about personal reponsibility.