“So what: I have a little cellulite!”

Kim Kardashian posted a pre-photoshopped picture of herself from her Complex Magazine photoshoot to her blog saying she is aware she has cellulite and “which curvy girl doesn’t?” Complex had “mistakenly” run the pre-photoshopped picture showing her *gasp* cellulite. Soon after they took the picture down replacing it with one that trims down her thighs and lightens her skin.
Kim’s response,
“I’m proud of my body and my curves and this picture coming out is probably helpful for everyone to see that just because I am on the cover of a magazine doesn’t mean I’m perfect.”
Kudos to her for saying that. Frankly, I see very little actual difference between the two pictures, but the subtle changes make a huge difference and I think it speaks to the extent popular culture will go to produce unnatural and unattainable images of women.

1. ShifterCat
    Posted April 1, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

*looks again*
    Yeah, you’re right. The face and chest are about the same, but the arm and legs (the parts most Photoshopped) are lighter.

2. TheKeshKesh7
    Posted April 1, 2009 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

I hate to pry at her life (okay, I don’t really) but I’m dying to see the healthier picture. Post a link?

3. TheKeshKesh7
    Posted April 1, 2009 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

4. liv79
    Posted April 1, 2009 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Wait. Who’s Kim Kardashian?

5. jjgirl23
    Posted April 1, 2009 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

She has a reality show. And I think she made a sex tape…

6. SaltyLilKipper
    Posted April 2, 2009 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Let’s not turn this into a discussion about what straight men find attractive.

7. Octo
    Posted April 2, 2009 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

I agree with the concern about airbrushing and conveying unrealistic and inaccurate messages to girls and women. But I don’t think suggestions that certain women who may have characteristics like a lack of cellulite aren’t “human” are necessary.

8. marie-jean84
    Posted April 13, 2009 at 10:49 am | Permalink

I don’t understand why they lighten skin!! Black and brown are beautiful!
    I get photo-shopping cellulite though. That’s never pretty, even if it’s “normal”.

9. Jjuliaava
    Posted April 15, 2009 at 10:55 am | Permalink

If you are real good at Photoshop, it is possible to lighten the photograph without lightening the skin. Whoever is responsible for this image obviously knows quite a lot about how to use the program.

10. Jjuliaava