Pope to recieve potentially 5 millions condoms in the mail.

To add to the humor (that’s not really that funny), it turns out that folks in Italy are not taking well to the Pope’s allegation that condoms have led to an increase of AIDS in Africa. In response they have organized to send the Pope condoms (1 per person) via 60,000 people. Sounds like the Pink Chaddi campaign.
Pam has more. I wonder if anyone at the Vatican will respond.

1. amedame
    Posted March 31, 2009 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

I didn’t realize it was an Italian campaign – I think I’m going to participate from the US:

2. tania_the_guerilla
    Posted March 31, 2009 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

I have to admit I’m already sick of the Eurocentric martyrs on Pandagon, with sentiments like “Don’t waste a condom by sending it to the Pope, send it to Africa where THEY NEED IT.”
    Uhh, which country in the continent of Africa? Rates of HIV/AIDS infection are higher in the sub-Saharan African nations, but that doesn’t really clear things up.
    It’s infuriating to see a good political prank expose a Western bias and a call for handouts for those poor, needy others somewhere in the Global South.

3. tania_the_guerilla
    Posted March 31, 2009 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

4. Crashhooligan
    Posted March 31, 2009 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Does this mean the Pope is going to get AIDS?

5. LalaReina
    Posted March 31, 2009 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

This is the most asinine thing I have ever heard. I do say send them home or abroad where they are needed. Plenty of clinics could use them. Like the Pontiff opens mail smh.

6. Lydia Encyclopedia
    Posted March 31, 2009 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

I’m a CARE rep at my university, so I have condoms-a-plenty, and I’m tempted to send a single one to the pope, with a note about how these little things have been so helpful in spreading the love, not the disease, at my university.

7. Gopher
    Posted March 31, 2009 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Maybe religion will catch AIDS?

8. EmmaKat
    Posted April 1, 2009 at 11:16 am | Permalink

That’s pretty ingenious and hilarity filled. Although, I kind of agree with LalaReina – we all know the Pope ain’t going to be using ‘em, so why not ship them off to people who really need the extra rubber?

9. SociologicalMe
    Posted April 1, 2009 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

I think we can discuss this issue and express our rage about it without wishing crippling diseases on anyone.

10. tania_the_guerilla
    Posted April 2, 2009 at 11:51 am | Permalink

I swear I’m not a troll, but I the “send aid to poor, poor Africa” sentiments unnerve me.
    Last night Dambisa Moyo, an advocate for more productive, positive ways of supporting the poor around the world, was a guest on “The Colbert Report.” Check it out.
    Also, I love her book “Dead Aid.” http://www.penguin.co.uk/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9781846140068,00.html

11. lastrosepicked
    Posted April 2, 2009 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

I have one of these! Bought it in Paris.

12. Mery Djane
    Posted May 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

Yes, really Pope on condoms is looked remarkably… )))