South Park takes on purity rings

I can’t believe I missed this episode (and that I have to wait weeks till the full episode is available online)! Outside of the mouse-on-teen violence, I really liked this clip – especially how it points out that by focusing on purity these companies/singers are actually focusing on sexuality, just in a “safe” way.
Thanks to Lucas for the heads up.

1. jjgirl23
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

I loved it too. I always new Mickey Mouse had a dark side! mwuahaha

2. jjgirl23
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

hahahaha that’s so funny!

3. Liza
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Outside of the mouse-on-teen violence, I really liked this clip
    Outside of the mouse-on-teen violence

4. AnotherJenn
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

This reminds me of a bit in Russel Brand’s recent special on Comedy Central. I know, the guy is pretty hit and miss but he had a really good point in this bit, which was part of a larger joke in response to some hate mail he got:
    It starts at the 5:15 mark. Here is a transcript:
    “I implied that the Jonas Brothers’ chastity rings and virginity might be a cynical marketing ploy utilizing the theories of Michelle Fuco who said that in Victorian society, the repression of sexuality was just another way of bringing sexuality to the forefront of our consciousnesses. It’s a marketing technique. By saying that the Jonas Brothers are virgins, you can’t help but think about them having sex. The Jonas Brothers are not having sex. The Jonas Brothers are not having SEX. [pelvic thrust emphasizing each time he says "sex"] The Jonas Brothers are not having SEX. As long as you’re looking at the rings on their fingers [waves fingers] you’re not wondering about where them fingers ain’t straying [his hand grabs his crotch to illustrate].”

5. valerietema
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Okay, thanks guy!
    Yeah, everything you’re saying makes sense. I just think that the purity rings WERE originally a personal, religious decision by them, and Disney just happened to totally eat that up.
    I really, really don’t know much about relationships because I have no experience and I’m so young, but for some reason I love the idea of abstinence. I think it shows that they just don’t get with girls for sex, and that they mean well. And… I just have this idea in my head that boys/men are after sex sex sex, and it’s good to know that the Jonas Brothers care about… like a longer relationship I guess?
    IDK. I’ll learn more about this one I actually HAVE a boyfriend, hahaha.

6. danielle
    Posted March 28, 2009 at 1:22 am | Permalink

I just have this idea in my head that boys/men are after sex sex sex
    Welcome to the patriarchy :/
    Guys are encouraged to have sex sex sex, but that doesn’t mean that’s how they (all) are. Same with girls. I know when I was in my first relationship, I was pretty eager for sex myself. It depends on the person. Boys =/= only wanting sex, and if they’re not wearing a purity ring, it doesn’t mean they aren’t abstinent, or they aren’t into a long term relationship. I see what you’re saying though.

7. Liza
    Posted March 28, 2009 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Actually it’s been a hot topic here for a long time. Which is probably what led to the book, not vice versa.
    Anyway, there’s nothing wrong with a little self-promotion. If I had a book out and a website full of devoted readers I’d pimp it hard, too. The lady’s gotta pay her rent, after all.

8. AnotherJenn
    Posted March 29, 2009 at 12:05 am | Permalink

I have learned that it is a mistake to assume that a guy waiting for marriage=a guy who respects women. Some guys are waiting because of deeply held beliefs and they do have genuine, healthy respect for women. Other guys are actually waiting, but they see girls who choose differently as sluts who aren’t worthy of respect. I would run far, far away from any guy who saw a girl as damaged goods because she made different choices with her sexuality (run even faster if those choices weren’t entirely her own and the guy still judges). Other guys still are lying and using it as a front to either look good or lower girls’ defenses. This issue is just one of many factors you want to consider when choosing a boyfriend and, as always, make sure you pay for attention to actions than to words. Watch how they treat other girls, not just what they say about the subject.
    A few of my friends and I had a joke club in high school that centered on how we were proud to be prudes. There seemed to be a lot of pressure from guys and girls to be sexual and none of us felt ready for that. So we’d joke about it every once in a while- “yes, I got dumped for not wanting to give head on the second date, but I’m proud to be prude!” I am still really happy about that time. I’m glad we spent more time being kids and having fun in less complicated ways. Some of us changed our minds about the sex before marriage thing and that was cool too. What I liked about that was that we all CHOSE what we felt was best for us. It was a rational, “I feel ready for this now,” thing, which is what I hope for my daughters one day. It’s what I hope for you too. I hope you make your choices because they are what’s best for you, not because other people put value judgements on you one way or another. Be proud of the choice you are making now, and if you decide that needs to be re-evaluated later, be proud of that choice too.

9. valerietema
    Posted March 29, 2009 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Oh wow. I never really though of it that way, but it’s completely true.
    The thing is… I had this best friend, you know. And we always had the same stance about sex: That it was stupid to do it really young and stupider unprotected, basically. And also, her dad was murdered right at the beginning of freshmen, and I was really there for her through that.
    Then she got this boyfriend, and you know, everyone LOVED him and she started hanging out with me less and less. And then when she was 15, still in freshmen year, she told me she lost her virginity.
    And I didn’t know what to do at all.
    But in THIS situation, with her family in tragedy and all, I though her boyfriend should have said no to that, or at least had the balls to go buy protection, you know? but he didn’t. And everyone still loves him.
    that’s a very long at personal story, but that’s where I’m coming from!