SXSW 2009: Rye Rye

So we are in the music portion of SXSW and Ann and I are having a blast. The city has gone wild and there is so much live music it is a little overwhelming. I am discovering tons of music and checking out things that I already love.
Of all the bands we saw yesterday and last night, I think Ann and I were most excited and taken aback by female MC Rye Rye. She is 17, from Baltimore, has a female DJ (who is basically the rebirth of Spindarella) and two back-up dancers who come out and dance during the chorus of her tracks. It is an amazing show.

Young, independent, confident women of color tearing it up. That is something I can get behind.
Other music I am checking out includes, King Kahn and the Shrines, Toki Wright, Janelle Monae, Jean Grae, Kid Cudi and an encore show from Rye Rye. I am so not ready.

1. GraceMP
    Posted March 20, 2009 at 9:08 am | Permalink

I love king kahn and the shrines! I’m soooo jealous

2. JenTheFem
    Posted March 20, 2009 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Dumb question . . . what does SXSW stand for?

3. AG
    Posted March 20, 2009 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Rye Rye is FANTASTIC – thanks for the introduction :)

4. Steph
    Posted March 20, 2009 at 9:30 am | Permalink

South by South West
    ttp://sxsw.com/
    It’s a music and media festival that has just exploded in the last couple of years.

5. Lelah
    Posted March 20, 2009 at 10:17 am | Permalink

I have a problem with all the crotch shots in the video – she’s 17 you say? The camerapeople could have respected that.

6. puckalish
    Posted March 20, 2009 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Lelah, while I hear what you’re saying – or at least understand why you’re concerned – understand that this is club music… and that this track is called “drop it to the ground”… “it” ain’t her wrists, okay?
    Anyways, I hadn’t really heard of Rye Rye til real recent, too… she’s definitely got it going on, though, and it’s dope that she’s partnered up with MIA and with Diplo and with Blaqstarr… girl’s already been to Europe!? What?
    Yeah, nice to see… Makes me think I shoulda stopped once in a while all the times I’ve driven through B’more on the DC to NY track…
    Oh… and, as I may have said before… you suck, Sami, I’m so damn jealous… You check out that Blacksmith joint last night, too?
    Yo… and since your Jean link has been taken off of Youtube, check this out:

7. aniri
    Posted March 20, 2009 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

So why is this something you can get behind? I mean, I think it’s a great track, I think the girl is talented, but how is this any different from anything else? Because she’s young? Because she has a female DJ? She’s still talking about ass-shaking, looking good for others, and she’s using the n-word. How revolutionary! I could get down to this at a club, but to consider this somehow feminist? Please!
    Just to clarify, I’m sure she gave a great show at SXSW, I understand why you dig this, but I still don’t get how this is relevant. Perhaps you could have offered some feminist analysis?

8. Pap
    Posted March 20, 2009 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

I agree with aniri.
    I think the hypersexualized lyrics may have been okay if done by Salt n’peppa (as you mentioned Spinderella)and other “fly girls” with the whole ‘look at my hot body but acknowledge and respect my musical talent’ mentality; but, I think it’s problematic coming from a 17 year old.
    It was also interesting that the video showed young girls jumping on the bed- furthering the point that Rye Rye is only 17.

9. ftk
    Posted March 20, 2009 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

I understand what a few of you all are saying, but don’t know if I totally agree. Not everything is black and white/right and wrong. This young woman is in Texas doing what she wants. And please don’t make judgements on her “hypersexuality” unless you know for certain she feels it that way. It is all about individual expereince. For all we know she could have a “look at my hot body but acknowledge and respect my musical talent’ mentality” as Natasha said. After all Spinderella was only 16/17 when she started spinning with S&P. Regarless…Love it!

10. Michael
    Posted March 21, 2009 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Compared to most Baltimore club and hip hop, this isn’t hypersexualized in the least. Hell, it’s damn chaste, really.
    Plus, at least she’s honest about things instead of throwing up a purity ring last minute to deny her sexuality ever existed.

11. laverge
    Posted March 21, 2009 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

I’m from Baltimore. That’s an awesome video.
    The thing about feminism is that sometimes you have to look at it grounded in a present perspective. Sure, Rye Rye’s song isn’t resoundingly feminist, but the achievements she’s making are. It’s a step. Similarly, Obama’s new counsel is a step. The list goes on. Full force changes don’t happen overnight.