Quick Hit: Embryonic stem cell funding ban overturned

From Financial Times:

Barack Obama, US president, on Monday made another decisive break from the Bush years by overturning a ban on federal funding for human embryonic stem cell research and promising to remove all ideology from scientific studies.
In a landmark policy change that angered anti-abortion groups, Mr Obama signed an order to permit public money to be used for research that scientists hope will produce cures for a range of serious conditions such as Parkinson’s.
“We will bring the change that so many scientists and researchers, doctors and innovators, patients and loved ones have hoped for, and fought for, these past eight years,” Mr Obama said at the White House.

1. Kathleen6674
    Posted March 9, 2009 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Yay!
    *Does cartwheels on the White House lawn*

2. Tarsus
    Posted March 9, 2009 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

“…and promising to remove all ideology from scientific studies.”
    Good luck with that.
    But good news nonetheless.

3. cherrypievintage
    Posted March 9, 2009 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

flippin sweet! I

4. RedPersephone
    Posted March 9, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Hooray!!!
    As someone with a chronic (and possibly life-threatening) disease that could be helped by stem cell research, this means *so much.* It’s about time for real, actual science to be supported by the government.

5. Cat
    Posted March 9, 2009 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

That was so overdue!
    I’m realy excited for you folks in the U.S – I heard so much talk about how your research insitutes had to provide two of every tool they use in order to prevent confusing the tools for the “good” science with the “bad” science tools.
    What a waste of… well… basically anything!

6. Kym
    Posted March 9, 2009 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

This is such a wonderful thing! I’m so glad that Obama is keeping to his word.

7. Qantaqa
    Posted March 9, 2009 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

I just saw this headline on my desktop. Another step in cleaning up the Bush mess. Thank you, Mr. President (a phrase I haven’t said in 8 years).

8. Opheelia
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 12:30 am | Permalink

Obama not only overturned the ruling, but he made some serious statements committing his presidency to *gasp* REAL SCIENCE!
    I was standing in line at the bank and heard a reporter say that some pro-life groups have actually hailed this as a victory, saying it was the ultimate pro-life move- taking embryos that would have been discarded and using them to potentially save lives. I was dumbfounded at the sudden consistency in thought.

9. MomTFH
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

My favorite side story to this:
    Nancy Reagan made a public statement of praise for the decision. I hope many conservatives who worship the ground Reagan walked on sit back and listen:
    “I’m very grateful that President Obama has lifted the restrictions on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research. These new rules will now make it possible for scientists to move forward. I urge researchers to make use of the opportunities that are available to them, and to do all they can to fulfill the promise that stem cell research offers.
    Countless people, suffering from many different diseases, stand to benefit from the answers stem cell research can provide. We owe it to ourselves and to our children to do everything in our power to find cures for these diseases – and soon. As I’ve said before, time is short, and life is precious.”