Open thread: Powershift 2009

This weekend I stopped by Powershift 2009, a gathering of almost 11,000 youth environmental activists.

In the middle of our new administration’s first 100 days, Power Shift 09 will bring 10,000 young people to Washington to hold our elected officials accountable for rebuilding our economy and reclaiming our future through bold climate and clean energy policy.

It was an impressive crowd and it’s great to see so many young people pushing an environmental justice agenda.
Tomorrow there are plans for a climate lobby day with around 5,000 participants, which could be the largest lobby day in history.
Any Feministing readers attend Powershift this weekend? What did you think?

1. AndyLC
    Posted March 2, 2009 at 11:27 am | Permalink

I didn’t personally attend, but a huge number of students from my college (College of the Atlantic) went and had a good time.

2. Choice Avenger
    Posted March 2, 2009 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

I didn’t go either, but i have friends from my MD high school who went. I haven’t heard what they thought of it yet.

3. msmolly
    Posted March 2, 2009 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

My best friend was there! She had an amazing time, she’s currently doing a semester with greenpeace.

4. RLocks
    Posted March 3, 2009 at 1:45 am | Permalink

I was there! I’m from NC myself, and they called for snow all up and down the east coast, so we booked it back to Raleigh Sunday morning. But they news stations have been rolling pictures of DC coated with snow, with no Powershifting to be seen…so I’m convincing myself that I didn’t miss much. haha! ;)
    By the way, the registration from for Powershift was the first time I’d seen choices under gender listed as “male”, “female” and “self-identify”. How AWESOME is that?

5. MandyG
    Posted March 3, 2009 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

Awesome! This feminist’s pro-feminist boyfriend was one of the people helping organize it — shout out to all those who worked so hard on making it happen! PowerShift sounds like it was a huge success — especially the Capitol Climate Action, where 2,500 people engaged in an arrestable act of civil disobedience, and orders came down from on high that the coal-fired power plant that is currently keeping Capitol Hill’s lights on will be switched to natural gas. Not necessarily anytime soon, and natural gas is still a fossil fuel, but it’s a step! — and no one got arrested! Congrats and kudos to everyone who made it out there!
    ~~ Mandy from Kentucky

6. SecondBeach
    Posted March 4, 2009 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

I was at the conference, lobby day, rally and non-affiliated civil disobedience! And I encourage all other feminists to stand with me in this fight, because if all we progressives can realize our own battles are one and the same, we can win.

7. SecondBeach
    Posted March 4, 2009 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

and seriously – 2nd best weekend of my life. (The first best weekend of my life is the 1st Powershift last year, if that tells you anything about the amazing intensity of the event).