The Daily News Hits a New Low

While we all know the media has been handling this situation disgustingly, I was still pretty stunned to see this Daily News headline. This is not to mention the actual content of the piece is full of victim-blaming banter:

[I]nsiders are rumbling that Chris shouldn’t be taking the anger management classes alone. “Rihanna is temperamental, too,” says our snitch. “They’re both too hot-headed for their own good.”
Adds another source: “It didn’t help that Rihanna grabbed the keys out of his rented Lamborghini and threw them down the street. She knew it would really infuriate Chris, and it worked.” (Emphasis mine)

Um, what? So not only does she need anger management for throwing keys out of a car (because of course that totally equates with domestic abuse), but she also “got what was coming to her”? Regardless of how angry a person may get or how much they’re perceived to have “provoked” their partner, there is no excuse to turn to violence. Ever.
The Daily News should be ashamed of themselves. Send a letter to the editor and let them know.

1. LalaReina
    Posted March 1, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Honestly I have to say that on more than one occasion I have slapped the hell out of a guy. I knew they wouldn’t hit me back and I have pressed them to their limits. I’m not proud of that, actually I guess I’m lucky. I never thought of it as “wrong” I saw it as I was angry or hurt and they deserved it. And if one hurt me or cheated on me I won’t say I wouldn’t do it again…but I am seeing it differently now.
    I hope a great opportunity isn’t lost here and teaching especially young people (me included I guess) about dealing with anger and relationships…

2. Cereja224
    Posted March 2, 2009 at 11:07 am | Permalink

I agree with you but I ask myself another question, why are boys encouraged the idea more so than girls. Growing up I also witness girls/women hitting boys/men. And they cannot respond with the same, if they do, THEY get in trouble, THEY get scolded or punished. If they cannot resort to violence nor can girls. I’ve seen situations where young women have even responded to physical action against men and nothing would be said. What Chris Brown did to Rihanna is unacceptable!! But this should be an example that violence whether it comes from a man or woman to the opposite sex is unacceptable and not have a biased notion in this rule.

3. James_
    Posted March 2, 2009 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Thank you for your honesty.
    I wish there was a way to point out the fact that there are two sides to every argument without opening up the ‘victim blaming’ rebuttal/dismissal.
    There are different types of abuse and I wish that emotional abuse was one that was more openly recognized and not overshadowed by the visible bruises of physical violence.
    My opinion (for what it matters) is that they were both in the wrong and neither of them handled themselves well whether it was her escalation of the situation or his action/reaction (whichever it was).
    In summation: Violence is always wrong, whether it is physically or emotionally perpetrated.

4. Danyell
    Posted March 3, 2009 at 12:24 am | Permalink

First of all – ANGER MANAGEMENT DOESN’T WORK!
    They teach you to repress anger, which is actually really unhealthy and can lead to bigger, worse outbursts. And abusers especially don’t benefit because their problem isn’t anger: it’s looking down on women. What he NEEDS is a feminist lesson.
    That being said, that is a totally fucked up title. I think they meant to imply that they are both angry people and one would egg on the other. But to use that as an excuse to hit someone you’re supposed to love is just ridiculous.

5. Danyell
    Posted March 3, 2009 at 12:30 am | Permalink

Not that I’m siding with abusers in any way – but do you see something odd about the fact that if a female did assault her male partner, he’s basically not allowed to defend himself? I have heard of males being abused by female partners and they felt helpless & embarrassed to stop it. And a lot of people say “just leave” but they’re caught in the same cycle of abuse that women victims are.
    Before anyone gets mad, let me reiterate: I’m NOT saying that’s what happened here (hell, I don’t know what happened here) and I’m not saying that this dismisses any domestic abusers.
    I only wanted opinions on this point.

6. Danyell
    Posted March 3, 2009 at 12:32 am | Permalink

Thank you thank you thank.

7. Danyell
    Posted March 3, 2009 at 12:37 am | Permalink

Actually, in real cases of self defense, it doesn’t matter what size each person is. If someone physically attacks you, you have every right to defend yourself to a reasonable degree (what’s considered reasonable depends on the case). And if you are a much bigger person, one hit may break the other person’s face. But if you are hit first, hitting back in often a natural reflex due to the instinct of self preservation.
    I’m not saying that this is what happened here. I’m just saying, I think everyone should be held to the same standard.

8. Danyell
    Posted March 3, 2009 at 10:20 am | Permalink

I find it so strange that this is one of the only circumstances where women are automatically entitled. Like, it’s ok for a woman to act violently, because it’s assumed they couldn’t possibly hurt a man that bad. It’s completely backwards.
    I have known men in abusive relationships where their female partner physically abused them. They felt like they were completely helpless. They couldn’t physically defend themselves, because who are people going to believe? And they wouldn’t just leave for all the same reasons an abused woman might not leave (cycles of abuse are complicated). And the worst part is that they can’t even talk about it. There’s more shame involved with a male victim because no one understands why he can’t just stop a woman from hitting him. It’s one of those situations where privilege is a weakness and lack of it is a strength. It’s assumed the male is strong and the female is weak. It’s assumed that females are natural victims and men, naturally abusers.
    It just makes me so mad!

9. ohmyheavens
    Posted March 7, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Where is the line drawn between victim blaming and taking responsibility for your actions?
    Now watch this I have to put a disclaimer up: I’m in no way saying Rihanna got what she deserved. My example is not based on continuous domestic violence.
    Many times women irk men on (whether it be physical or emotional) thinking they won’t or shouldn’t get hit back because women are the more gentle sex and should be handled with care. If a smaller person is picking on a bigger person then they need to know that the bigger person may retaliate, the bigger person should know better than to use violence, but why are we putting all of the blame on the bigger person and not having the smaller party examine their actions and take responsibility for them.
    Party A should say: “I was wrong for deliberatly pushing Party B’s buttons”
    Party B should say: “I was wrong for reacting with violence”
    I also want to say that if LalaReina was a man there would be no “Thanks for your honesty” comments.