Friday Feminist Fuck You: TMZ

Hating on TMZ on 12seconds.tv
This is probably my shortest Friday Feminist Fuck You ever, but I literally had nothing else to say.
For more info, see imbroglio’s “Rant” on the Community blog.

1. vaseline
    Posted February 23, 2009 at 12:48 am | Permalink

When a country is involved in war, the entire country deserves to know the details of what’s happening in that war. Everyone is effected, directly and indirectly. Photographs of innocent civilians who are killed provides evidence for how tragically wrong the war is. The deaths of the Iraq war reflect the decisions of our government, who we have elected and are meant to represent us. We are all involved.
    When a woman is beaten by her husband, the entire country does NOT deserve to know what’s going on in that very personal situation. No one else is involved, and I definitely don’t see how you can argue that this is an example of when public interest trumps the right to privacy.

2. vaseline
    Posted February 23, 2009 at 12:51 am | Permalink

Exactly.
    I have seen some pretty disgusting comments from other sites in regard to this picture, especially “man, she must have pissed him off!” As if any of her actions or words are worth a beating like that.
    I don’t really see how anyone’s mind is going to change just because of this.

3. Logrus
    Posted February 23, 2009 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Where do you get me “shaming” her from the statement: “one Ms. Rhinannon sadly seems willing to help him hang“? (in reference to the aforementioned “veil”)
    Really? This is your argument? I’m willing to engage you here, but this argument of yours is a paper tiger. I can respect your wish to disagree with me, but you’re attempting to modify my argument to suit you. It is completely unreasonable for you to attempt to imply that I am blaming or condescending to this young woman.
    As for implying that she’s suicidal. Well if the basis for that statement is accurate (meaning if, as reported in some places, she has gone to reconcile with him in Hawaii) then N.O. D.U.H.
    Lack of willingness or ability to preserve one’s own life is kind of an underlying predicate to my entire train of logic. The fact is, as mentioned above, we have decided to intervene in people’s rights at self determination (as ambiguous a concept as “right to privacy”) as a matter of routing justice. Helping those who won’t or cannot help themselves is already part of our culture and legal system.

4. Femgineer
    Posted February 23, 2009 at 11:02 am | Permalink

I was watching Oprah for a few minutes on Friday, and she showed the picture as well. She said something like “TMZ leaked this photo of Rhianna. blah blah, so we are going to show it.”
    I listened to them talk for about 30 more seconds about Chris Brown and Rhianna, and I had to turn it off. Fuck all the media outlets who felt it was appropriate to show this photo. Assholes.

5. Tsunade
    Posted February 23, 2009 at 11:23 am | Permalink

As an abuse survivor, perhaps she feels that she has a right to be open about it… even if she’s being open about other people’s abuse. She’s not known for her sensitivity.

6. Kat
    Posted February 23, 2009 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Ugh I was watching MSNBC yesterday morning and they decided to show that picture too.

7. Stuff
    Posted February 23, 2009 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

I didn’t mean to imply that you were blaming her, but I thought that your tone was pretty condescending. I don’t really know enough about her situation to pass judgment on how she is dealing with or planning to deal with this. I don’t know how you conclusively know enough to say that she’s helping him hide or making excuses for him (which is what I got out of the veil comment).
    It just sounded to me like you were assuming that she’s some poor silly girl who has been taking this abuse for a long time and will continue to do it unless outside forces step in, which really denies her autonomy. I mean, maybe she is – but then again maybe she’s strong enough to deal with it on her own (with the support that she chooses), you know? Maybe she should have been allowed to make her own decision about whether or not that photo came out. If she had, I think the picture could have been pretty powerful – but instead she’s just been made a victim all over again, this time at the hands of the media.