Senate passes SCHIP expansion.

This is good news and will ensure coverage for immigrant children. Previously, these children have been denied adequate healthcare and had to wait 5 years to get any medical coverage. Bush had vetoed the expansion to the bill.

Senate Democrats moved one step closer to handing President Barack Obama an early health care victory Thursday, passing a bill extending government-sponsored health insurance coverage to about 4 million uninsured children.
The bill, which was approved 66-32, authorizes an additional $32.8 billion over the next 4 1/2 years for the State Children’s Health Insurance Program. The House plans to take up the same measure next week.
Even with the added spending, an estimated 5 million children still would be without health insurance. During his election campaign, Obama called for requiring all children to have health coverage.
“When President Obama signs this bill, the real victory will belong not to politicians, but to kids,” said Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont.

Wow, a step in the right direction. I don’t know what is going on, what does the government exist to ensure the health of its people? I forgot about that.

via AP.

1. borrow_tunnel
    Posted January 30, 2009 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

I’ll be happy when they tighten the language to exclude children of illegal immigrants. Illegal immigration is something I have never supported. But yes, protecting children should be the bare minimum.

2. borrow_tunnel
    Posted January 30, 2009 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

I support the tightening of the language to exclude children of illegal immigrants. Other than that? Caring for children should be the bare minimum.

3. johanna in dairyland
    Posted January 30, 2009 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

I guess I haven’t seen the language you are referring to. The article only mentions children of legal immigrants. Do you have any other info on that? And are you referring to children that entered the US without proper documentation, or children of undocumented immigrants who are US citizens?

4. MomTFH
    Posted January 30, 2009 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

You don’t have to support illegal immigration to not be cold hearted to their children. Their children do not choose to immigrate. I am in medical school, and it will break my heart to have to turn someone away who is sick and needs care. I don’t think anyone who spouts off opinions like that on the internet will ever have to be in that position.

5. myheartisagapinghole
    Posted January 30, 2009 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

I think it is unwise to support legislation that doesn’t provide for health care for all children. Hospitals must provide emergency care for everyone. When people are uninsured, the hospital “eats” the cost–meaning they pass it on to the rest of us. I’d rather pay for preventive care for children (for everyon really) up front because it’s cheaper than costly ER visits down the road.

6. Mags
    Posted January 30, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Except the article references allowing children of legal immigrants to access it, not illegal ones.
    Although it seems to me that if we’re considering immigration status at all, it should be the status of the children that’s considered, not their parents. Not only are many children of illegal immigrants US citizens in their own right, I don’t see why they should be punished for something that their parents did.