Craigslist Missed Connections

Married To The Sea
marriedtothesea.com
My coworker Veronica had this cartoon from Married to the Sea shared on her google reader and it reminded me about my obsession with Craigslist’s Missed Connections.
Maybe it’s the secret romantic in me, or just my super-nosy side, but I love having a sneak peek into other people’s lives and lusts. If you aren’t familiar with Missed Connections, it’s where people can leave posts for someone they might not even know, but who caught their eye. For example, if you see a really cute girl on the metro on your way to work, but can’t get up the courage to talk to her? Post a missed connection, describing yourself and her, and tell her through the anonymity of the internet what you really think. Maybe if you’re lucky she’ll respond and you can live happily ever after.
And then there is always the secret hope of finding a missed connection post about you! It’s kind of like the modern day love note.

1. Jessica
    Posted January 26, 2009 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

OMG, also my guilty pleasure. I’m a sucker for it.

2. Tim Jones-Yelvington
    Posted January 26, 2009 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

I love Missed Connections!
    Sometimes I sit back and look at all the titles and locations en masse and imagine it like film, people’s paths crossing and criss-crossing and misconnecting and crossing again…

3. ElleStar
    Posted January 26, 2009 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

I’ve actually had a friend have a lasting relationship come out of CL’s Missed Connections. They saw each other in a coffee house, but she looked busy, so he didn’t approach. But many looks were exchanged.
    The next day, she was telling a coworker about the mysterious guy in the coffee house and the coworker suggested Missed Connections. And lo, he had posted. The last I talked to her, they were still dating. And it was possibly the cutest relationship story I’d ever heard.

4. Bethany
    Posted January 26, 2009 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

I do that too. I like to fantasize that I am striking and memorable enough to be someone else’s missed connection.

5. anteup
    Posted January 26, 2009 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

I’ve found its mostly an outlet for creepy old men to say stuff like:
    “You were at Kroger around 2:45pm on Tuesday. You were wearing jogging shorts and a fitted shirt. Your nipples looked so hot poking through your shirt in the frozen food section. Internets salivation omggggg. PS cute kid.”

6. Rachel
    Posted January 26, 2009 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

i just gotta say i love marriedtothesea.

7. KateMpls
    Posted January 26, 2009 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

In 2005, I met a guy at a Roe v. Wade anniversary show. He didn’t ask me out then, but he posted a super sweet Craigslist Missed Connection.
    Someone else saw it and re-posted it to Modern Radio, a message board about Minneapolis music.
    My friend saw the posting there and sent it to me over MySpace.
    The guy (David) and I got married on January 3rd of this year.
    The Internets are amazing!

8. Louise
    Posted January 26, 2009 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

I love Missed Connections too. It’s like a little peek into a stranger’s head, or fate, or something like that.
    Unfortunately, many of the posts are like what anteup describes. But there are enough sweet posts to make up for them.

9. Pam
    Posted January 26, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

That’s such a cool idea. Like a diary almost. Reminds me a bit of Post Secret.

10. Harris
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 12:43 am | Permalink

I never read it, but I posted my first one about a cute waiter at Morning Glory in Philly. It’s totally exciting and empowering.

11. prettymuch85
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 8:06 am | Permalink

Haha… now I don’t feel so bad about hoping somebody writes about me in there some day.

12. Brad
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Thanks for the reminder, Missed Connections is wonderful. It’s kind of like how Sarah Haskins talks about women can meet their prince in the woods.

13. Brad
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Crap, screwed up that link. Should be:
    meet their prince in the woods.

14. Kathe
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 11:06 am | Permalink

I love it. I once found a post written to my then-boyfriend. I got such a kick out of it.

15. maleficent
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 11:36 am | Permalink

If you that’s bad, try going on an internet dating site.

16. Cicada Nymph
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

I read them occasionally because there are some really funny and cheesy ones that are hilarious. Others… just creepy.

17. branmuff
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

I also check out the CL missed connections posts from time to time an din general find them creepy.Often these posters are middle aged men hoping t o hook up with young college aged waitresses, store clerks and cashiers. bleh…recently there was a post from an older “gentleman” hoping to hook up with his waitress at TGIF’s but he said that it was too hard to get his # because of his family sitting at the table, young toddler, children and wife.

18. branmuff
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

19. UntouchableFace
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 11:10 am | Permalink

First off, I’d have figured feminists would find “missed connections” to be sexist. Huh.
    Secondly, as per this: For example, if you see a really cute girl on the metro on your way to work, but can’t get up the courage to talk to her?
    I was under the impression, from reading here, and numerous other places, that for a man to approach a woman in public (with romantic intentions) at any time, for any reason, anywhere, was inappropriate and sexist.
    I do no less in my own life.
    Now you’re equating it to a matter of “courage”? As if he’s less “manly” for not doing something that he shouldn’t be doing anyway?
    I’m not trying to be nasty with that, just trying to sort out conflicting information.
    Finally, in my own personal view, I find “missed connections” to be 1/3rd cheesy, 1/3rd depressing, 1/3rd pitiful/sad.

20. Sonya Klarson
    Posted June 16, 2009 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Enamoured not always admits love, and admitted not always loves!
    And all goes a trial and error method. Not to be afraid to risk or be rejected… To madness of the brave we sing a song, truly… Once was before when I strongly loved – (the first love, that) I admitted love, in the answer something muffled. It was in California… I loved to tears, before any ecstasy… It was sick, but now I can name it one of my main acquired lessons…