Deep Thoughts, by Ann Coulter

Ann Coulter says single motherhood is “a recipe to create criminals, strippers, rapists, murderers.”
That is all.
Via Feministe.

1. Lisa
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Agreed. When feminists attack the appearances or use gendered insults on women who do not share their ideologies, they are just reinforcing the patriarchal status quo that says women should be valued first by their looks (or sexuality, feminity, etc). Falling back on those tired judgments shows that a lot of women who acknowledge sexism have yet to understand just how strongly it guides their own actions and thoughts (I don’t think any of us can ever fully grasp it, since we are all embedded in culture). If there is a genuine reason to criticize, then do so on those merits. Although, as I’ve stated a couple times above, I would like to give Ann Coulter as little attention as possible.

2. rustyspoons
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Wow, all this time I was holding rapists and murderers accountable for THEIR OWN actions, you know, that “personal responsibility” thing conservatives always CLAIM they’re in favor of (at least until they see a chance to blame it on women.)
    I’m also sure that if a woman was pregnant and the man wasn’t around, and she opted to abort it rather than be a single mother, idiot Coulter would be among the first to condemn her for doing that too.
    And the fact that she puts strippers on a par with violent felons shows just how truly demented her thinking is, but then again EVERYTHING that comes out of her mouth shows that.

3. Deva
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

I should add that my single mom instilled in me a reverence for education that has led me to obtain an advanced degree and to work for social and environmental justice (in the footsteps of Obama). Like Obama, I watched my mother struggle to raise me, while attending community college and working full time taking care of abused children. My mom isn’t a saint (who is?) but I turned out better than my siblings who chose to live with their fathers (fathers had $, mom did not).

4. rustyspoons
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

5. Haley
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

But, single fathers are to be applauded!!!
    I mean – does she REALLY think these things? I mean, I know she does, but at some point…I just have to stand back in awe. It … I mean … it just doesn’t make any sense!

6. theczech.wordpress.com
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Seconded. Or fourthed or whatever. Attention is what she needs to be relevant, and we are giving it to her. So, we are making her relevant.
    AAAAA!

7. ShifterCat
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

To be fair, Levitt’s closing argument in “Roe vs. Wade, Crime Stopper” was that if a woman feels that she isn’t ready to be a good parent, there’s a good chance that she’s right, and that society should trust women’s judgment.

8. cheezwizard
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

In the annals of trolldom, only Fred Phelps tops Ann Coulter.

9. AnUnfunnyFeminist
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

I wonder if you don’t get a lot of people buying these fundys’ books because people are too embarrassed to be seen purchasing them. Maybe there’s a site that sells these books online and sends them to the buyer in an unmarked cardboard box. Perhaps that site sells adult diapers and impotency medication too.

10. AnUnfunnyFeminist
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

I’m going to seriously answer your question and say “No.” Every time I see Coutler say something, she looks like she’s thinking real hard about something, as if she’s thinking, “That’s the craziest way to phrase it, right?” or “Did I hear the talking points coming through my earpiece correctly?”

11. WIDave
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Ann Coulter did use statistics to back up her statement. However, I think she could have done more research into the issue.
    When you look at it, large numbers of the people we house in correctional facilities are from single mother homes. All of them? Of course not. I think 70% were the numbers she was using. Whom is to blame makes the issue even more complicated.
    I am more concerned by a few of the nasty remarks here than I am about the controvercy around Ann Coulter’s statment.

12. AnUnfunnyFeminist
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

And let me add that I firmly believe that Ann Coulter isn’t real at all and is actually a Sacha Baron Cohen character.

13. Toni
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

In my experience, ignoring bullies just makes things worse.

14. alixana
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

Most bullies aren’t bullying in order to profit monetarily from it. Anne Coulter isn’t an insecure kid looking to boost her ego by picking on others. She’s a shrewd businesswoman who knows exactly what to say to stay in the spotlight and sell books. And hey, we’re helping!

15. AnUnfunnyFeminist
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

No, I think how the data were collected is the bigger issue. The number of sex offenders who are men is close to 100%. Do penises cause a man to become a sex criminal? Maybe. So let’s cut off every male’s penis to prevent sex crimes from occurring. That’s what Ann Coulter would have wanted.
    That’s what happens when you try to prove something after it has happened. Prisoners were probably asked if they were raised by a single mother by someone who already has something against single motherhood (like Ann Coulter). Maybe George H.W. Bush would have asked if the inmates ever ate broccoli. But when researchers follow children of single parents over their entire childhood to see if they become criminals later, they don’t get the same results. Needless to say, the methodology of these studies is much more valid. You still can’t make a cause-effect conclusion from them, but the relationship is more valid.

16. Toni
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

17. Toni
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Well, I wasn’t really saying we shouldn’t ignore her but I felt the need to point out that the “ignore it and it will go away” advice doesn’t really work. I was severly bullied all through school and I don’t want other to suffer like I did.

18. northray
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

Make that a donkey punch. You might hurt your hand on that Adam’s Apple.

19. northray
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

Since Tripp’s paternal Granny was just busted for selling hillbilly heroin (oxy) to an undercover snitch (big cover up issues since it was happening during the campaign) he will eventually be a fully fledged member of the Valley Trash drug culture.

20. northray
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

Hey I am one of those dead beat dads!
    I take my girl to viola lessons twice a week, and then karate lessons twice to three times a week. I pay for half of the private school. I pay support payments on time. I help her build fairy houses and learn fractions. I teach her how to fish and shoot and sew. All this and I don’t even have shared custody, just part time visitation. I am such a dead beat it is not even funny.
    If my little girl wants to peel for a living then that is up to her. I think she will be too busy fixing the stuff her grandparent’s generation let slide off the cliff.

21. Rachel_in_WY
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 12:35 am | Permalink

I’m sorry if it seemed like I was saying that all dads are deadbeat dads. Obviously that wasn’t my intention. I’m just not sure why conservatives are always yammering on about the evils of single moms when there’s obviously a dad out there somewhere too.

22. Rachel_in_WY
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 12:41 am | Permalink

Most trolls are more concerned about the comments on Feministing than those of conservative wingnuts. That goes without saying.

23. justkate
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 12:41 am | Permalink

It’s also heartless to assume that a stripper and straight As are mutually exclusive. My stripper money partly paid for my Master’s degree–3.95 GPA. What.
    Hi. I’m Kate. I haven’t scrolled entirely through the 70+ comments, but I’m going to take a guess that I’m in the minority here as a former stripper.
    Of course it offends me that Ann Coulter would lump strippers in the same category as murders and rapists (especially when there’s a high percentage of sex industry workers who are survivors of rape and incest, a very sad but true PTSD scenario that deserves an article of its own). What surprises me is that many readers of Feministing would do the same.
    May I remind you that most women would not resort to stripping in the absence of pay discrimination. I worked with SEVERAL teachers who were supplementing their low primary income, paying off student loans, or covering childcare costs by stripping. There were aspiring nurses, lawyers, and historians in my ranks, plus a devoted volunteer for the American Red Cross. Trust me, none of us wanted to take off our clothes for money. It was a last resort to possible financial freedom. And while I resented the level to which I had to stoop, believe me, I laughed my ass off all the way to the bank. What a novelty: to beat sexism at it’s own game by taking men’s money to buy a more equal footing.
    Strippers have dreams and goals just like you. We are real people. Begrudge us not our bodies or our choices; they were both hard won.

24. SaltyLilKipper
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 4:51 am | Permalink

You didn’t make it sound like that. Northray just chose to turn your comment into being all about him even though you were specifically referring to dads who are dead beats. Like my dad. The prosecuting attorney with six kids he wouldn’t raise by four different women.
    I’m really sick of people coming in here and getting all defensive over something that has nothing to do with them. We are not talking about YOU when we say something about dead beat dads unless you are a dead beat dad. Just like I’ll assume you’re not talking about my mother if you say something about mothers who don’t raise their children.

25. SaltyLilKipper
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 5:02 am | Permalink

I’ve never been in the position where I had to strip for money, but your words touched me. Somehow, I’m not sure how, even feminists ‘forget’ that people who strip are people. I’m terribly sorry.

26. Cicada Nymph
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Even if the father himself is a criminal?

27. asseenontv
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

I suppose that’s a good reason for them to get abortions.
    Anyway, I like the feministe link where she says that all children of single mothers become strippers (and liberals pretend to care about facts!). Makes me think I better hit the gym. Obama is going to do okay when he becomes a stripper, but I’m going to have a lot more trouble supporting myself.

28. Danyell
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Because being transexual would be….bad?

29. Danyell
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I’m really sorry how often people forget that strippers are ALSO people. Yet we as feminists will judge the men who watch strippers and don’t think of them as people. Jeesh. Sorry for all the haters. That’s not what my feminism is about.

30. Lisa
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

I don’t know if you are from outside the U.S. but the term ‘deadbeat dad’ refers to fathers who are not involved in their children’s lives both personally and financially. Based on your account of your relationship with your daughter, you wouldn’t fall into that category. The reason Rachel pointed asked about deadbeat dads is that Ann Coulter wants to take single mothers to task but completely ignores the other side of the equation… fathers who aren’t involved.

31. Danyell
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

That actually makes a lot of sense. In fact, it is the ONLY explanation that makes sense (aside from her buying all copies of her own books).

32. Danyell
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

I agree with what you said about it not being very feminist to make fun of transsexuals or apply gendered insults…but I do think Coulter is very willfully ignorant. She is t he plug your ears and yell “LA LA LA” kind of intellectual.

33. Angela
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

And of course, this is the reason Anne Coulter fully supports forced abortion.

34. Sophia
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Yeah, thanks. I’m a stripper; right now it’s a rational choice for me (and I am capable of making rational choices!). I was also raised by a single mother. That doesn’t mean my mom fucked up, or that if she had stayed with my abusive alcoholic father I’d be a conservative pundit right now. It just means it’s hard to find a job that pays the rent and the exorbitant student loan at the same time.

35. Sophia
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Ooh! And I got straight A’s, too!

36. Brittany-Ann
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

One of my exes (we avoided politics like the plague) has a poster of her in his dorm. No lie.

37. Clix
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

I would think that most strippers have more sense than that. ;)

38. Seamster
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

Because surprise violence during sex is… good?

39. Tsunade
    Posted January 11, 2009 at 12:03 am | Permalink

Source! Now!

40. YoungFeminist
    Posted January 11, 2009 at 1:42 am | Permalink

Wow ignorance is bliss. Maybe they identify as black because that’s what they are. Mixed and I never heard either of those people go, “I may be mixed but screw being white, I’m going to be black now.”
    As a mixed person that annoys me. My mom who is black raised me and my dad who is white walked out on me. But I still identify being black and white because that’s what you see when you look at me (I happen to look more white).
    And I also feel some racism in that comment too because she specifically calls out a black man walking out and referring to the mothers being white. Kinda like an undertone statement that black men are deadbeats.

41. YoungFeminist
    Posted January 11, 2009 at 1:47 am | Permalink

Yeah because you know those strippers are just out to corrupt our children.*rolls eyes*
    I should go tell my mom I’m just going to be a stripper and a couple short years. Oh and while I’m at it I’m going to rob a bank, molest some kids, and do a drive by…..you know, just for the fun.

42. Lexicon
    Posted January 11, 2009 at 5:52 am | Permalink

I see. Demeaning her sexually is the answer, and donkey punches are oh so funny.
    Welcome to the board. I hope you learn something. Jokes like that demean all women, and you know what? Men, too.

43. Terabithia
    Posted January 11, 2009 at 7:50 am | Permalink

Are you kidding? Its been all over the news for a week or two.

44. i_muse
    Posted January 11, 2009 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Michael Phelps,
    son of a single mother
    3 presidents, including Barrack Obama,
    sons of single mothers
    Countless actors interviewed on Inside the Actors Studio
    sons and daughters of single mothers
    Heads of state, Doctors, Lawyers,
    etc etc.
    Probably not as many Republican as Democratic offspring of single mothers for obvious reasons.

45. Tsunade
    Posted January 11, 2009 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

How the hell did I miss this? O_O

46. alissa
    Posted January 11, 2009 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Actually supplementing ones income to pay for student loans and graduate degrees by becoming a stripper is quite common. I knew more than a few women who worked their way through college sliding up and down those poles. And every one of them had the same reaction. They all laughed as they went to pay their tuition and book fees.

47. enphlight
    Posted January 16, 2009 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Having dated many single moms, I agree with Ann. I think it’s a shame you all get so easily offended rather than looking at the source of the problem: poor choices in breeding partners. If you all would take the necessary precautions, maybe Ann wouldn’t have to write a chapter that “offends” you all so much. And if it were only one child that each of you had, you might have a point. But most of you are repeat offenders many times over. But what everyone here is afraid to break the statistics out on is how many of our US single moms are black and repeat offenders. That certainly would get everyone’s panties in a wad. I also think many women have children due to the ticking of their biological clocks but never intend to actually be wives.

48. enphlight
    Posted January 16, 2009 at 9:25 am | Permalink

49. enphlight
    Posted January 16, 2009 at 9:25 am | Permalink

50. Rachel_in_WY
    Posted January 16, 2009 at 10:26 am | Permalink

So then, you’re assuming that everyone here on Feministing is a single mom? Wow. And I’m guessing you’re a prize “breeder”? Don’t look now, but your ignorance is showing.
    Oh, and you can post a comment 18,000 times, and it won’t make it any more true.