Vatican newspaper: The pill causes male infertility and environmental damage

This is rich.

The contraceptive pill is polluting the environment and is in part responsible for male infertility, a report in the Vatican newspaper L’Osservatore Romano said Saturday.
The pill “has for some years had devastating effects on the environment by releasing tonnes of hormones into nature” through female urine, said Pedro Jose Maria Simon Castellvi, president of the International Federation of Catholic Medical Associations, in the report.

Your pee! It’s killing the trees! Not to mention sperm. As if the fear of female sexuality wasn’t obvious enough – best to mention that contraception is a total boner killer. Lovely.

1. TheWhiteRaven
    Posted January 5, 2009 at 11:53 pm | Permalink

The bottom line remains that birth control represents only a fraction of the hormones spilled into the earth. Yes, the hormones are detrimental. Yes, the earth and its inhabitants could benefit slightly from not using birth control. However, the option to take birth control is a vital necessity for the freedom of womyn. The hormones spilled into the earth through the raising of food is not necessary and represents a much larger piece of the problem. The focus should be on stopping THAT. Let me pop my green pills in peace.
    Furthermore, are condoms really that much better for the environment? My guess is that the production, distribution, and trashing after use of condoms also has harmful effects. In the realm of birth control, I say the more methods used the better. I will stick to my pills-and-condoms-together plan.

2. SarahMC
    Posted January 6, 2009 at 6:53 am | Permalink

My bad. I truly did have “the Catholic church” in mind when I typed that comment.

3. Nicole
    Posted January 6, 2009 at 8:06 am | Permalink

LOL thank you for posting this Jessica, it made my day, I will forever be laughing at Catholic “science.” Cheers to hilarious “research.”

4. FrumiousB
    Posted January 6, 2009 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Unfortunately, you cannot stop people from spraying the crap out of their fields.

5. FrumiousB
    Posted January 6, 2009 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Sound science about the effects of environmental estrogens on male fish is a non-sequitor in the discussion about the effects of un-metabolized BCP on human male sperm.
    The conclusions alone of that sound science mean crap if we don’t know the methods and the intent.

6. SecondBeach
    Posted January 6, 2009 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

The problems surrounding endocrine disrupters, those in things from birth control and steroids to pesticides and plastics ARE a problem in some areas and the research is real. The issue is their priorities if they were really concerned with the environment and not simply female sexual agency.
    The important things to remember when discussing the issue:
    1. The biggest environmental problem right now, bar none, is population
    2. There are endocrine disrupters entering the environment in much larger quantities that via birth control and those should be our pollutant priorities
    3. There are many health problems, both human and environmental, associated with birth control and while I feel us feminists should fight anyone trying to take away birth control, we should also be skeptical of the large pharmaceutical companies that profit from women buying their product and ignoring possible consequences.

7. SecondBeach
    Posted January 6, 2009 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

But we shouldn’t try? Agricultural practices have changed before and can change again.

8. Rachel_in_WY
    Posted January 6, 2009 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

And we could at least stop rewarding the huge agribusinesses that require the use of more of these chemicals by subsidizing them endlessly and putting pressure on smaller, more sustainable farms to morph into huge agribusinesses. Agricultural legislation in the U.S. consistently rewards factory farming over family farming, while family farming is a model that is much more likely to be organic and sustainable, IF the gov’t support is there.
    Buy local and organic as much as possible. Fuck factory farming!

9. Ayla
    Posted January 6, 2009 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

I’m not really any more jazzed about having a hunk of copper in my body for years than I am by adding hormones to it.

10. 3jvj
    Posted January 7, 2009 at 12:12 am | Permalink

Well sheeesh. As a man I can assure you all (including the pontiff) that the pill has been a bonus to my sex life (I assume my wife feels the same). Given the “moral” stance on contraception taken by the church is there really any surprise here (maybe in the fact that it might be true)? Is the pope against the pill? Do I wear a funny hat? Yes on both counts.

11. saintcatherine
    Posted January 7, 2009 at 1:34 am | Permalink

I would venture to say that not all men would agree with you. Also, I would think that most here, myself included, would SLAM you for saying that “whatever makes women less fertile is not bad.”
    Overpopulation is a problem of resources. If people stopped their fucking hogging up of resources, then there wouldn’t be a problem of overpopulation.
    So, we are back to stewardship again, which has always been part of the teaching in many churches, Catholic included. Yep, even from popes.

12. Joltin' Joe DiMaggio
    Posted January 13, 2009 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

I read some where estrogen in the water supply increases a guys risk of developing gynecomastia. Not sure if its true, just something I heard.