Feminist New Year’s Resolutions

I have never been a fan of New Year’s Resolutions. When I was younger they always had to do with losing weight or to quit eating cookies or some such thing that I was told if I do would unlock the secret to the life I always wanted. As I have gotten older and more in touch with myself and my feminism, I realize that negative self talk or putting myself up to tasks that are based on insecurity and hold the ‘secret to everything I am missing’ is rarely successful and never makes me feel good. So I moved to focusing on being as healthy and positive as I can be. But this year, I am coming out of my anti-New Year’s resolution attitude with a few resolutions that have to do with things I want to do, not things I think I should do.
1. I commit to doing more video-blogging.
2. I want to get my personal website/consulting business up and running.
3. I will continue to write for Feministing, building on the work we have already done as we move to building relationships in the real world.
4. I will continue to not give a shit about my weight, but live a full, happy and healthy life based on self reflection, deep breathing and love.
5. I will finish my book. Hopefully. (Ha!)
Once I let go of resolutions that were based in self hate and things I didn’t want to do, I realized that this is actually pretty fun, like a to-do list for the year, filled with positivity, aspirations and ways to move forward.
What are your New Year’s resolutions this year?

1. Sothenna
    Posted December 30, 2008 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

My roommate and I plan on reading all the books on the most commonly challenged/banned list.

2. FrumiousB
    Posted December 30, 2008 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

I resolve to diagnose douche-baggery early in a relationship and excise it swiftly.

3. FrumiousB
    Posted December 30, 2008 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

And I’m not waiting for the new year to implement.

4. Lime
    Posted December 30, 2008 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

I resolve to not continue to be hung up on someone who doesn’t want me.

5. Posted December 30, 2008 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Please check out my Huffpo blogpost on Your Best New Years Resolution: Do Less Housework!
    Excerpt:
    The way it works is often this: it’s your scheduled time to work on your project. Suddenly, however, you feel an irresistible need to do the laundry, mop the floor, shop for groceries, mow the lawn, or clean out the garage. Probably, the need isn’t truly urgent — or, at least, no more urgent than it was a few hours ago, or will be a few hours from now, after you’ve finished your work. The sudden, irresistible urgency is the clue that it’s not really the laundry itself that’s important, but your need to procrastinate and avoid making progress.
    Here’s the thing about housework: it’s really boring and unfulfilling. And often actively unpleasant. And then, after you’ve done it, you need to do it again in a week or two. Blech.
    19th and 20th century feminists recognized housework for what it was: tedium, and an impediment to individual and societal liberation. Thankfully, it’s a lot easier to keep house today than it was 100 years ago; and yet, many people continue to fritter away their lives doing excess housework when there’s something more meaningful they’d like to accomplish. That’s partly because there’s usually something around that needs cleaning, so it’s a handy excuse, but also because some societal elements have long made a fetish of housework. For centuries, literally, social conservatives have promoted the idea of the selfless (in both senses of the word) wife and mother who devotes herself 100% to housework and others’ needs. And the media promotes an unrealistic, perfectionist view of what a “normal” home looks like because that view sells products and advertising. (The latter afflicts both women and men, as any guy who spends his Saturdays doing yardwork when he’d rather be doing something else can testify.) Of course, conservatives and the media rarely discuss the costs, in time, money and lost opportunities, of maintaining a showpiece home.

6. kemp
    Posted December 31, 2008 at 12:37 am | Permalink

I resolve to get more sleep!

7. katliz
    Posted December 31, 2008 at 9:34 am | Permalink

I resolve to treat myself (and my body) with as much respect and dignity that I expect from others.
    Translation: I will stop polluting my body and giving money to the tobacco industry by quitting smoking. I will consider the content of the food I put in my mouth – where it came from and what it consists of – and chose not to eat chemical-laden and unethically produced food. I will put my body to work a little every day, to give it the same exercise I demand of my mind. I will end 2009 with an exponentially healthier body, mind and soul than I began with.
    Tall orders, all, but at 34 I feel like 64, the age of my cancer-surviving mother who has ten times the energy I do. It’s time I started to respect and appreciate my body as the vessel that allows me to accomplish, to inspire, to make the change I want to see in the world. It’s time I started respecting it more.

8. Thomas
    Posted December 31, 2008 at 11:47 am | Permalink

My sister, a successful professional with a formidible intellect, used to list (tongue in cheek) her New Years’ resolutions as a set of nun’s vows: “poverty, chasisty and ignorance.”

9. yerushalmit
    Posted January 1, 2009 at 7:07 am | Permalink

Here’s my theory on New Year’s Even and its Phallocentric Tendencies: http://againstmybetterjudgement.wordpress.com/
    Happy Holy Penis Party!

10. chrysallis
    Posted January 2, 2009 at 7:38 am | Permalink

My biggest new year’s resolution is to not date anyone in 2009. I separated from my husband in the summer of 2008 and think that, at this point in my life, I can only make mistakes with men (after a disastrous relationship in the fall) I agree, New Years resolutions are often ridiculous but I think this is something I really need to do…. Any suggestions as to an internet discussion group that will support me throughout the year with this resolution?
    Also, I must add, I am 51, have 3 grown boys (now young men) so do not feel that biological time clock ticking. There is really no need for me to feel that I have to be looking for a man.