Roe is the only SCOTUS case Palin knows?

The Politico reports that in a yet-to-be released clip from Katie Couric’s interview with Sarah Palin, the Vice Presidential candidate trips up again.

Of concern to McCain’s campaign, however, is a remaining and still-undisclosed clip from Palin’s interview with Couric last week that has the political world buzzing.
The Palin aide, after first noting how “infuriating” it was for CBS to purportedly leak word about the gaffe, revealed that it came in response to a question about Supreme Court decisions.
After noting Roe vs. Wade, Palin was apparently unable to discuss any major court cases.
There was no verbal fumbling with this particular question as there was with some others, the aide said, but rather silence.

Oh dear. And yet…I can’t wait to see the clip.
Via RH Reality Check.

1. Lelah
    Posted September 30, 2008 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Jeez, really? I mean, I can name a few others, but I’m not running for office. Of anything.

2. Posted September 30, 2008 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Really?
    I have a hard time believing she doesn’t know about Brown or Loving or Bong Hits for Jesus Guy (I mean that last one was from her state).
    I just can’t believe she’s that stupid. Maybe she is, I never cease to be amazed.
    Still, maybe in those poli-sci classes they will teach her about Boumediene v. Bush. That would be nice.

3. Posted September 30, 2008 at 10:34 am | Permalink

What the heck was she doing in her US History course? I can think of at least four off the top of my head and I’ve been out of hs for six years now. That is just deplorable, especially for someone who could be a heartbeat away the presidency.

4. BROWN TRASH PUNK!
    Posted September 30, 2008 at 10:41 am | Permalink

duh. don’t you know republiKKKans are so obsessed with zygotes?

5. Kristen
    Posted September 30, 2008 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Wow, nothing other Roe.
    What about Casey v. Planned Parenthood? That’s arguably far more important to abortion rights than Roe.
    Leaving aside the important, historical civil rights cases: Browne, Loving, Korematsu, Griswold etc.
    How about the cases conservatives have been decrying that have occurred in the last few years like Lawrence v. Texas? Or the ones they’ve been touting from the last few months like Heller?
    I mean seriously, you’d think that she hadn’t even picked up a freaking newspaper in the last year.

6. Posted September 30, 2008 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Oh. My. God.
    I would say I can list around 10-15 major court cases. Maybe I should be vice president.

7. Posted September 30, 2008 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Just a heads up, this is scheduled to broadcast on Wednesday… but with it leaked to the net, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it on tonight (Tuesday).
    You know what case she should’ve been able to name?: Morse v. Frederick…
    Yes, it does seem a bit obscure, but you might know it by it’s pseudonym — the BONG HITS FOR JESUS case.
    Thats right, the free speech case that made it to the Supreme Court last year.
    Why should Sarah Palin be aware of the case?
    Because it started in Juneau Alaska, and got a lot of press coverage in Alaska — as well as nation wide.
    I think I’ve seen this lack of intellectual curiosity somewhere before…
    BTW, if this happens to generate a question or two in you for Governor Palin, feel free to post it over at http://www.OneQuestionForPalin.com — shameless plug, but at least it’s not my site.

8. everybodyever
    Posted September 30, 2008 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Did she skip the fifth grade*, or was she playing hockey — I mean, hooky — when the class covered Marbury v. Madison?
    * Maybe she did skip fifth grade. It might explain why the math doesn’t match up regarding her claim to have watched Joe Biden’s Senate speeches while she was in second grade — at which point, unless she did skip a grade thereafter, Biden wasn’t even a Senator yet.

9. bbrutlag
    Posted September 30, 2008 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Even if you polled random people on the street most would at least get Brown vs Board of Ed or maybe Plessey vs Furguson (spelling). I mean come on!
    How is she going to use her “Hockey Mom” powers to charm her way out of this one? Oh wait, I forgot, the Republicans aren’t letting her speak for herself…are we seeing a reason for that descison?

10. aghast
    Posted September 30, 2008 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

The U.S. may be the only country where ignorance is a desirable trait in its leaders.
    Why is this? Our lousy education system? Our propensity to create political polls asking voters “who would you most like to have a beer with?” Our distrust of politicians as smart people (and smart-asses) trying to put one over on us — so let’s get one too apparently too dumb to do it?
    I’m with Katha Pollitt on this. We need leaders at least as smart — or better yet, smarter — than we are.

11. marilove
    Posted September 30, 2008 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

BROWN TRASH PUNK! I find it interesting that you don’t add to any of the conversations, and only spew hatred.

12. davenj
    Posted September 30, 2008 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

This says more than the obvious (that Palin is in no way qualified to serve in the office of the presidency), it also says that Palin, whose major issue is abortion, definitely doesn’t even understand the abortion issue well.
    If she did she’d at the very least know Planned Parenthood vs. Casey, but she doesn’t, and that’s pretty unforgivable.
    Basically it’s like someone saying they love hockey, but they don’t know what a penalty shot is.
    Absolutely pathetic, because any seventh grader who takes US history at least knows Dred Scott, Plessy, or Marbury vs. Madison.

13. alixana
    Posted September 30, 2008 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

I’m biased, since I’m an attorney, but that’s just deplorable. And to unbias my comment, I’ll add that in 12th grade, we had to memorize 50 USSC cases – the names and their legal significance. I wasn’t even old enough to vote yet when I developed awe for what the Warren court did.

14. Danyell
    Posted September 30, 2008 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

I gotta watch this video…So, has it leaked online? Is it still up anywhere? I always fall behind on my web vids.

15. mayfly
    Posted September 30, 2008 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

I’m not American, and I can name at least four other cases from the US. For a VP candidate to have that little knowledge on what seems to be her KEY ISSUE? Unacceptable.

16. alicep
    Posted September 30, 2008 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

First post here, I’m loving this site. I wanted to say to say something about it showing more than anything a lack of curiosity – ignorance is one thing, it could be used as an argument for not being an insider (in a weird, warped world admittedly) – but not being interested in knowledge is entirely different.
    i’m not american (a brit), but as someone who likes to think of myself as informed, i was embarrassed not to be able to name many supreme court cases off the top of my head. As far as i can see, we’ve not seen this footage yet, but other footage of her seems to revel in what could be seen as folksiness, but is more accurately ignorance. The distinction between professional and insider is important and needs to be made.

17. aleks
    Posted September 30, 2008 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

She thinks Dred Scott was the guy with the funny braids.

18. Luna
    Posted September 30, 2008 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

I’m Canadian, and even missed American History & Geography in Gr. 5 due to split grades (long story) and I still could name 4 off the top of my head. That’s TERRIBLE.

19. aleks
    Posted October 1, 2008 at 12:46 am | Permalink

Tina Fey could name a lot more than that.

20. moniquep
    Posted October 1, 2008 at 1:41 am | Permalink

Sorry for the long post, but Thurber captures what I imagine that interview will show. I think with a hint or two Palin would have gotten a few more.
    University Days
    by James Thurber
    Another course that I didn’t like, but somehow managed to pass, was economics. I went to that class straight from the botany class, which didn’t help me any in understanding either subject. I used to get them mixed up. But not as mixed up as another student in my economics class who came there directly from a physics laboratory.
    He was a tackle on the football team, named Bolenciewcz. At that time Ohio State University had one of the best football teams in the country, and Bolenciecwcz was one of its outstanding stars. In order to be eligible to play it was necessary for him to keep up in his studies, a very difficult matter, for while he was not dumber than an ox he was not any smarter. Most of his professors were lenient and helped him along. None gave him more hints in answering questions or asked him simpler ones than the economics professor, a thin, timid man named Bassum. One day when we were on the subject of transportation and distribution, it came to Bolenciecwcz’s turn to answer a question.
    “Name one means of transportation,” the professor said to him.
    No light came into the big tackle’s eyes.
    “Just any means of transportation,” said the professor.
    Bolenciecwcz sat staring at him.
    “That is,” pursued the professor, “any medium, agency, or method of going from one place to another.”
    Bolenciecwcz had the look of a man who was being led into a trap.
    “You may choose among steam, horsedrawn, or electrically propelled vehicles,” said the instructor. “I might suggest the one which we commonly take in making long journeys across land.”
    There was a profound silence in which everybody stirred uneasily, including Bolenciecwcz and Mr. Bassum.
    Mr. Bassum abruptly broke this silence in an amazing manner. “Choo-choo-choo,” he said, in a low voice, and turned instantly scarlet. He glanced appealingly around the room.
    All of us, of course, shared Mr. Bassum’s desire that Bolenciecwcz should stay abreast of the class in economics, for the Illinois game, one of the hardest and most important of the season, was only a week off. “Toot, toot, too-tooooooot!” some student with a deep voice moaned, and we all looked encouragingly at Bolenciecwcz. Somebody else gave a fine imitation of a locomotive letting off steam. Mr. Bassum himself rounded off the little show. “Ding, dong, ding, dong,” he said, hopefully.
    Bolenciecwcz was staring at the floor now, trying to think, his great brow furrowed, his huge hands rubbing together, his face red.
    “How did you come to college this year, Mr. Bolenciecwcz?” asked the professor. “Chuffa chuffa, chuffa chuffa.”
    “M’father sent me,” said the football player.
    “What on?” asked Bassum.
    “I git an ‘lowance,” said the tackle, in a low, husky voice, obviously embarrassed.
    “No, no,” said Bassum. “Name a means of transportation. What did you ride here on?”
    “Train,” said Bolenciecwcz.
    “Quite right,” said the professor, “Now Mr. Nugent, Will you tell us—”

21. Posted October 1, 2008 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Ugh. Pathetic. I can name about twenty off the top of my head – can I be VP now?
    Landmark Case Rock