Is Sarah Palin a Feminist? Friday Feminist Fuck NO.

This week, Miriam and I teamed up again to say “fuck no!” to the claim that Sarah Palin is a feminist candidate.

Transcript after the jump.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel!

Ann: Welcome to the second double-trouble edition of the Friday Feminist Fuck You. This week we’re super excited that conservatives have finally acknowledged that sexism exists! Bravo for that. But we’re not super happy about the fact that, because she’s a woman, people are saying that Sarah Palin is a feminist. So this week we attempt to answer the question: Is Sarah Palin a feminist? Making this a Friday Feminist..
Ann & Miriam: Fuck NO.
Ann: First off, it’s great to have more women at higher levels of politics. No matter what their ideology, we’re excited about that. But it does sort of rub me the wrong way when they talk about her having broken the glass ceiling, because Geraldine Ferraro broke this particular glass ceiling with a vice-presidential nomination in 1984. Like most things related to women’s rights, conservatives are only about two and a half decades behind.
Miriam: We also want to make the point that just because you benefit from feminism doesn’t make you a feminist. The fact that Sarah Palin is where she is today is because of all the work of feminists, that doesn’t mean she’s automatically a member of the club.
We’ve got two main reasons we want to emphasize about why Sarah Palin is definitely not a feminist. First, she obviously opposes the right to choose anything other than having your child or giving it up for adoption. And even if you decide to have the child, she doesn’t want to support you, unless you happen to be in a position of privilege like her own daughter. She cut funding for a local shelter in Alaska for pregnant teens, during her tenure. She’s not a supporter of the right to choose abortion, even if you have been raped or are a victim of incest. Definitely not a feminist stance.
Ann: No. Also, there’s been a lot of talk about the fact that she’s a working mom, which we think is awesome. More power to you if you can balance raising your children with a high-powered career. However, it’s not exactly feminist that she’s not supported other working mothers. She’s on the ticket with John McCain, who supports businesses’ right to discriminate on the basis of gender. Who opposed increased funding for the State Children’s Health Insurance Program. And who also supported cuts to the Family and Medical Leave Act — he was not a strong ally of this program, which is key for working mothers.
We really want to drive home the point that just because a candidate is a woman, like Sarah Palin, does not mean she’s a woman’s candidate. So… is Sarah Palin a feminist candidate?
Miriam: Fuck no.

1. Posted September 12, 2008 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

I’m glad somebody finally mentioned that this is not the first time a woman has been the VP nominee.
    Oh, and John McCain has the worst record on women’s rights of any person I’m aware of.

2. AlmostAmanda
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

But…but…but…she has a vagina. And really, that’s all you need to be a feminist! Just ask Ann Coulter and Phyllis Schlafly.
    /bullshit
    Fuck no she’s not a feminist! In order to be a feminist, you have to actually do something to make the lives of all women better – not just the ones like you, and she has given me absolutely no reason to think that she could give a flying fuck about me or my daughter or anyone else who doesn’t think and live exactly like her.

3. alixana
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

“We also want to make the point that just because you benefit from feminism doesn’t make you a feminist.”
    I give you a shiny gold star for that quote.

4. MiriamCT
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

whoo-hoo Go Miriam and Ann!!

5. Liz M
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

I LOVE Friday Fuck You Double Trouble edition! It’s just more fun to see you guys establish a fun rapport with one another as opposed to just talking into a camera…love it!!

6. hydratic
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

that was fantastic!

7. RMJ
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

I am disappointed that we have decided that feminism is a club, and an exclusive one.
    Why do we have to get into this snobby, elitist “you’re not progressive/liberal enough to be a feminist” sniping? All of the feminist blogs I read – all blogs I rarely have strong ideological disagreements with – seem to be desperate this week to take away Palin’s agency in calling herself a feminist. For some reason, we need to decide for her whether or not she is a feminist.
    (Side note: I really, really, really hope Gwen Ifill asks Palin whether or not she considers herself a feminist.)
    I understand not calling her views/stance feminist, or calling them anti-feminist. They absolutely are, just as many of the views on sexuality held by first-wave feminists are anti-feminist. But I don’t get why we’re so eager to make feminism a privilege. Loaded language, yes, but why can’t we accept more conservative women into the movement while questioning and protesting their actions? I understand the point of view of not wanting to water the word down, but I think that feminism is strong enough to take some questioning like this.
    Bottom line, I’ve always loved the inclusiveness of feminism – this sense of everybody counting, of everybody being eligible to join this particular club. This sort of rhetoric makes me sad, especially coming from a blog I usually love.

8. Halo
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

I don’t see it as making feminism a “privilege”, I see it as expecting a certain level of support for other women as a major component of being (or being called) a feminist.
    You know, supporting equality for women, healthcare, etc…

9. llevinso
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

RMJ, I don’t see how you can say that Palin’s views are anti-feminist yet you still think we can call her a feminist. That doesn’t really make any sense. If you have anti-feminist views…you’re NOT a feminist!

10. imnotemily
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

RJM,
    I think it’s important for feminists to denounce Palin’s appropriation of the term. When people who know nothing about what feminism is or stands for see Palin claim that title, they assume that her agenda is feminism’s agenda. And that is just unfair and dangerous for everyone. She is benefitting from using a title and it’s meaning, while contributing nothing to women’s issues. I would also argue that feminism isn’t strong enough to carry her along; it is constantly being challenged and denied by broader culture, and such a well known person with her beliefs taking on that identity could do serious damage.

11. Male Senior Citizen
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Thank-you. To the extent you are able, please get this message out to as much of the media as possible. Palin is a “Trojan Horse”, which the Republican Party and the complicit MSM are using to hide the radical conservative agenda of the McCain candidacy. Women are key to this election. The Republicans know this & intend to manipulate women as much as possible by positioning Palin & her family as just “common, God fearing, folk”, supporting a “wonderful Patriot” running for President. Who she is, what she believes, what McCain believes & has done, have all got to be broadcast far & wide before the election. As one example of what the MSM are doing with the Palin story, look at the New York Times. Since the coronation at the RNC, there has been one positive feature after another about Palin in its pages. The last time the NYT did this type of thing, Judith Miller was writing about the “dangers” posed by Iraq’s “weapons of mass destruction” prior to the commencement of this horrendous war. Get out there and spread the truth as much as possible. I try in my way but I am in the “older male” demographic so I cannot address this with women as well as you and your readers can.

12. Luna
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Okay, so if someone calls herself progressive, but all her opinions are conservative, I can’t call bullshit?
    Or if someone says, “I’m not racist, but I don’t think black people work as hard as white people”, we have to suck it up and say, “No, she’s not racist. She says so!”
    Bullshit.
    If your views are anti-feminist, you are anti-feminist.

13. DrBucephalus
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Ann & Miriam hit this issue square-on. Of course Palin isn’t a feminist. She’s a Republican pawn–a “Trojan Horse,” as MaleSeniorCitizen aptly puts it–and her purpose is clear: distort the feminist stance, misrepresent and misappropriate the terms, sneak in and slash-and-burn. Believe me, Sarah Palin is very much up-to-speed on the “Bush doctrine,” make no mistake about it.
    One other thing: in the midst of all the media brouhaha over alleged “sexism” from the Democrats re: Palin, why has no one else pointed out the perhaps less obvious but no less relevant issue that if anyone is a sexist, it is (and has long been) the Repubicans–and indeed Sarah Palin herself? I mean, that whole bit about a “bulldog” with “lipstick”? That sounds pretty sexist and demeaning towards women if you ask me (a man, incidentally). Oh, but I guess it was OK for her to say it, being a woman and all. Rubbish. Her whole anti-abortion, anti-feminist stance stinks of sexism, through and through.
    Anyway, thanks again, Ann & Miriam. Brilliant video.

14. DrBucephalus
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

RE: “…but why can’t we accept more conservative women into the movement while questioning and protesting their actions?”
    Such as…Ann Coulter? Sarah Palin?
    Because the slaves who would join their captors–and indeed go out and fight for them, and against their own cause–have sold themselves and their compatriots out and therefore have no right to align themselves with the true liberators among them.
    Ann Coulter, like Sarah Palin, is a far cry from Hillary Clinton or Elizabeth Cady Stanton.
    Being a woman doesn’t make you a feminist. Nor does being a man preclude you from being one. Feminism isn’t any exclusive club (I do think that Ann was speaking in a tone of jest on this point–sorry some missed the joke). But it is a serious social movement and state of consciousness–and one that can’t afford to be trivialized and tainted by political pawns, Trojan Horses, and other insincere “advocates.”

15. Posted September 12, 2008 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Thank you for this! I’ve been a little worried, reading this blog, about how many people are willing to let someone who is clearly conservative coopt the term feminist.
    YES, feminism is an elite club. Not just anyone can join. You can’t just join because you want to bed the hot woman’s studies major, you can’t join when it’s convenient for you. The core tenet of feminism is that you support the social, economic, and political equality of women. If your actions are contrary to this tenet, than you are clearly not a feminist. It’s really not any simpler than that. You may benefit from feminism, as Ann Coulter and Phyllis Schlaffly have, but you are not a feminist.

16. Alma
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

“it is a serious social movement and state of consciousness” (DrBucephalus)
    State of consciousness! Yes, that is exactly what feminism is. I think this is probably the best way it could possibly be described. When one is a conscious feminist, they are aware of the situation of ALL women, not just oneself. Sarah Palin can go ahead and use the term for all I care, but I don’t think a person can be truly aligned with feminism unless they are aligned with ALL WOMEN. Every action they take will be taken with ALL WOMEN in mind. I do this every day. It’s called having a social consciousness, not merely a personal one. It’s about responsibility and a sense of involvement and commitment and connection with the larger spheres of life, and realizing that one’s individual personhood is not separate from the outer world. Sarah Palin has no social consciousness. This doesn’t mean that feminism is a club; feminism is not a dry, didactic thesis paper. It is a state of mind. As is patriarchy. Feminism seeks to unravel the patriarchy to its very core. It is revolutionary to the core. Women who have begun to internalize the new order that feminism embodies are the women that will change the world. Sarah Palin is not one of those women.

17. Lala
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

I think this is a very appropriate and needed response to the Palin issue. If people want to support this candidate they can do so bit please don’t act like it is in the name of women or that she is a woman’s champion. That’s what sickens me to my stomach how they have turned women’s struggles on its head with this travesty.

18. Roja
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

RJM,
    It’s great that feminism is inclusive. But when equality in itself is a progressive idea, then you can not believe or support inequality and say you are a feminist! If we say Palin is a feminist, then we are changing the most basic definition of feminism, and that’s belief and support of equality!
    It’s like calling an anti-suffrage woman a suffragist. That way you are redefining the meaning of the word, or stripping it from any meaning.
    I also like to mention something about the difference between theory and practice. Activism is never perfect (unlike theory) and as feminists we are so paralyzed by lack of action right now. We need to pick our battles, prioritize and compromise. None of these choices are easy or clean.
    But the worst choice is not to do anything because we want to be perfect. that’s a FACT.

19. penny rose
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

“Feminism is the political theory and practice that struggles to free _all_ women: women of color, working-class women, poor women, disabled women, lesbians, old women–as well as white, economically privileged, heterosexual women. Anything less than this vision of total freedom is not feminism, but merely female self-aggrandizement.” -Barbara Smith
    Sarah Palin= female self-aggrandizement.

20. gotoL
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

A syllogism:
    PROOF:
    1) Phyllis Schafly is not a feminist.
    2) Phyllis Schafly and Sarah Palin hold the same views regarding the role of women.
    3) Sarah Palin is not a feminist.
    QED

21. Orange_Orange
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

I think it is important that we understand to some women that the right to choose is not a political but a religious issue.
    I totally support a woman’s right to choose, but for some that means killing a life. I disagree, but that is beside the point. If men could get pregnant they would oppose a man’s right to get an abortion as well.
    I am not sure that by opposing this issue that automatically makes you not a feminist. Now, I am not speaking of Sarah Palin just in general. I think you can be against abortion and still support, family leave, equal pay, equal opportunity. I think you can be republican and still be a feminist. You wouldn’t be a liberal but you would be a feminist. I mean isn’t cross sectional feminism about including different women?
    My Friday FU would have gone to Matt Damon. There are so many issues that make Palin scary; being a mom isn’t one of them.

22. ShifterCat
    Posted September 13, 2008 at 3:09 am | Permalink

The problem, Orange_Orange, is that anti-abortion policies do harm women: by putting many of them in a place where their only choices are to be physically, socially, or financially crippled or to seek out an illegal and likely unsafe procedure; by making some procedures which protect the mother’s physical and mental health illegal or only quasi-legal; and by bringing suspicion on any woman who suffers a miscarriage or other extreme complication to her pregnancy.
    Also, as expounded on here, the anti-choice philosophy is one that takes away a woman’s agency.
    So, really, any woman who thinks that feminism and an anti-abortion stance are not mutually exclusive is deluding herself. Sorry, but she is.

23. SarahSimone
    Posted September 13, 2008 at 7:58 am | Permalink

Orange_Orange, it is not possible to be a feminist and be anti-choice at the same time. Being anti-choice is exerting your own will over the body of another woman. How can that be reconciled with a feminist stance?
    The key word is CHOICE. Anybody who is a proponent of taking away women’s choices is not a feminist.

24. jen
    Posted September 13, 2008 at 9:57 am | Permalink

I agree with Orange_Orange. It is way too easy to say that only women of a liberal view point may be feminists. Many conservative women are indeed feminists even if they do not believe in the right to choose. Many women believe that abortion equals murder, so that pretty much invalidates the points about soveriegnty over the body. These same women would object if men could get an abortion as well.
    Now before anyone gets all over my comments, I do believe in choice as I believe in the seperation of church and state. But you have to see it from the other side. To some women, abortion equals murder and it does not change their belief in equal rights etc. It is and will always be religion that make this a wedge issue.
    And the other point that is absurd is the notion that just because she does not support liberl values she cannot be a feminist. Any woman who is empowered to take on a leadership role with the belief that other women should as well holds feminist values. What Palin is not, is a liberal. But that in no way makes her less independent, strong and self aware than I.
    It is beyond foolish to ASSUME all women who believe in equality must be liberal. Many of the amazing women I work with and some of my mentors are very conservative. But they still help other women succed and believe we work double hard to get equal footing in our careers.
    The problem with Palin is only that she holds the same staunchly conservative values as the current President. As a liberal, I do not want her anywhere near the white house. Now if we could grow up and focus on her stance on the issues and stop attacking her as a woman or feminist, we might actually practice some of those faminist ideals we spout.
    Sadly, all I see is a lot of sour grapes from liberal women who are upset that a conservative woman may make history. Perhaps next time, we won’t pass up the opportunity to elect a Clinton when one comes our way.

25. Posted September 13, 2008 at 11:37 am | Permalink

I completely disagree with nearly all of Sarah Palin’s political beliefs. I think, politically, she’s obviously very conservative. And, for many feminists like myself who virulently defend a woman’s right to choose, among a multitude of other things, she represents the most compelling reason NOT to vote for the McCain-Palin ticket, in my opinion.
    But, I think that the same way you encouraged us NOT to jump on the bandwagon and attack Michelle Obama, to defend her, that someone needs to speak a tiny piece about Sarah Palin’s “feminism”.
    Policy-wise, you’re right — she doesn’t support choice, among other things. But, she’s also a successful, self-made woman, who is standing up to criticism from many directions (including many women) and taking it in stride. Regardless of her criticism of Hillary or not, an eye for an eye doesn’t help the image of feminism.
    She’s independent, well-spoken and self-assured. I am uncomfortable with the limitation of feminism as only applying to us left-wing liberals. She may not be the most progressive feminist, and we may view her beliefs as backwards.
    But, who are we to deny her a version of feminism that is her own? I think it’s hypocritical, and really just not good. What’s next once we start limiting feminism to an existence only exactly the way we want it?

26. Posted September 13, 2008 at 11:46 am | Permalink

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad you ran this!
    I had stopped subscribing to your feed because I felt you were getting buried in minutiae, but I have resubscribed. This is the stuff that I think will promote real change. (I could be wrong … naaah!)
    Keep up the good work!

27. Lala
    Posted September 13, 2008 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

You can’t be a part of the civil rights and support jim crowe. Every movement has principles ideas and values. Palin’s are not those of feminism. It is what it is. You can’t save the house and invite the arsonist in for lunch.

28. katie80andstuff
    Posted September 13, 2008 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

did the people defending sarah palin’s “feminism” watch this video? ann and miriam went through the many reasons sarah palin is not a feminist. her anti-choice stance was just one of those reasons.
    palin isn’t a feminist because her views cause harm to the lives of women. see: her cutting funding for a teen pregnancy center. see: her forcing rape victims to pay for their own rape kits (not to mention bear the rapist’s child, should the victim become pregnant). see: her running with john mccain, ad infinitum.
    just because she is a working mother does not mean she is a feminist. an inherent part of feminism is being able to recognize privilege, and palin clearly does not. she does nothing to support other women who do not have access to the things (wealth, good health insurance, etc.) that have allowed sarah palin to live the life that she has. she is not feminist, and it is not damaging whatsoever to the movement to point out that she isn’t.

29. Rochelle
    Posted September 13, 2008 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

i did watch the video. i do disagree with her political views, and agree with many things addressed in the video. i see where you’re coming from, and i do not support Palin at all. i just feel that she’s being attacked for being an inadequate woman, in a way. and, it alarms me.
    i have feminist friends who believe in empowerment of women, are appalled by the glass ceiling and the expectation that a woman becomes aggressive to rise up in the male-dominated business/professional sphere, and in many ways support the feminist fight for women to be free-thinkers, uncontrolled by the male dominance.
    this just feels like we’re telling them what they have to think in order to “truly” classify themselves as free thinking, liberated women who consider themselves feminist.

30. Rochelle
    Posted September 13, 2008 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

i didn’t add that some of those feminist friends are pro life — and, sure, we’re not close friends because that’s something so fundamental to me that i feel like i cannot relate to them at all for being pro-life.
    but, i would never tell them they weren’t feminist.

31. DrBucephalus
    Posted September 13, 2008 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

“The core tenet of feminism is that you support the social, economic, and political equality of women. If your actions are contrary to this tenet, than you are clearly not a feminist. It’s really not any simpler than that. You may benefit from feminism, as Ann Coulter and Phyllis Schlaffly have, but you are not a feminist”
    MoxieHart hits the nail on the head. Why we are even continuing to argue this point seems to me incredible. This should all go without saying, and yet we are still not in any serious consensus about these central tenets of the feminist movement. Many have either forgotten or gotten lost in the fog of recent political debate. I don’t know what it is, exactly, but when I read something like this:
    “Many conservative women are indeed feminists even if they do not believe in the right to choose.” (jen)
    I am astonished, to say the least.
    I think the main problem lies in our terms of debate–the language we use to describe and argue about feminism, conservatism and liberalism. This could well go on into a very long thesis, but I will try to address these issues as briefly and as clearly as possible.
    1st: Feminism, as a political/social movement and as a state of consciousness, works (or should work) to promote unequivocal equality in terms of both representation and reward for women and for men. Let me clarify: for ALL women and for ALL men. Although great strides have indeed been made towards this equality, the gaps are far from closed. Men still by and large hold the most dominant positions of power (economic and political: Sarah Palin notwithstanding); men still by and large make the rules and dictate our policies. Men still by and large make more money than women who are otherwise qualified in all other ways. Men still by and large promote sexism and ideologies that subordinate women and prevent them from moving forward and gaining independence. Now, correct me if I’m wrong, but the last time I checked feminism is the one political movement that has fought to end these injustices and to promote more sensible relations between women and men. Have we really drifted so far from these values that we have all but forgotten that feminism is a political movement and a state of consciousness that not only recognizes the points of inequality but works to subvert them at their social and ideological core?
    Have we forgotten that, in the words of Cynthia Orozco:
    “Feminism is a recognition of the domination of men over women and attempts by women to end male privilege…. It is a theory, a method, and a practice which seeks to transform human relations.”
    Have we seriously grown so naïve as to think that “male privilege” no longer exists, or that those who work to maintain hierarchical social relations out of their own selfish economic interests (be they men or women, like John McCain and Sarah Palin) would for one second work to promote the cause of equality when their own interests are at stake? That’s what this election is all about, and that is why the McCain campaign (surely it wasn’t all up to John himself) chose Sarah Palin. She is hardly qualified to be Vice President. But if McCain and Palin win it will mean victory for the conservative ideology which promotes private over public interests, property owners over the working class, religious (“Christian”) values over secular (scientific/logic- and pragmatic-based) philosophies, and traditionally “male-centered” ideologies over “female“ values (war v. peace, aggression v. diplomacy, competition v. cooperation, “drilling-in” vs. “digging-out”). The list goes on and on.
    2nd (and, for now, last): This question about whether a woman can promote independence and equality in many other ways but disagree on fundamental feminist issues such as abortion. OK: I can hardly do justice to this issue in such limited space, but I’ll try my best in a couple of sentences. It is not just a question of being a woman and opposing abortion rights which keeps Sarah Palin out of “the club.” A man could say he opposes abortion rights and I would challenge any claim he might make to being a feminist. Why? Because the way that I see it, opposing a woman’s right to the CHOICE to have an abortion isn’t simply a matter of religious conviction (“the Bible says it’s wrong; I believe in the Bible; therefore, I believe that abortion is wrong”). It is a stance that ignores the larger historical context of women’s rights and the social and political implications of denying a woman the fundamental right over her reproductive freedom. In other words (religious motives aside for the moment), opponents of abortion miss the point that it is a question of personal and political freedom. To deny the woman the right to make this choice in light of the larger social and economic considerations (and there are many) is to further promote the subjugation of women and to maintain the hierarchies of (male) power which keep women at the mercy of others who make the rules.
    This isn’t right. It isn’t logical. And it definitely is a far cry from fair. Sarah Palin misses the point. Conservatives by and large miss the point. And many who oppose the right to abortion (for religious reasons or whatever excuses they employ) miss the whole point of feminism, and insult all the women and men of every color who have fought and sacrificed their lives for the “liberal” (read: pro-liberating) cause of equality and the improvement of relations between men and women.

32. penny rose
    Posted September 13, 2008 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

I know plenty of women who for whatever reasons will never choose to have an abortion. The reasons range from the personal to the religious.The difference between them and Sarah Palin is that they still believe it should be up to the individual woman to make the choice whether to have a baby or have an abortion.I for one believe that if a woman does not have control over her body she has absolutely no control over any aspect of her life.
    My husband and my sons understand that a woman’s body is her own. It BOGGLES my mind that women in this day and age cannot,will not understand this.

33. DrBucephalus
    Posted September 13, 2008 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Thank you, penny rose. See, I don’t think anyone is seriously suggesting that Sarah Palin isn’t a feminist because she opposes abortion. A woman can oppose abortion (for whatever reason) in her own life and yet support other women’s right to choose. That is why the abortion rights movement is “pro-choice” and not “anti-abortion.” If Sarah Palin would declare herself against abortion without wanting to take away the right to choose from all other women, I and I’m sure many others would have a lot less of a problem with her. Sarah Palin is out of touch with the realities of women’s struggles. This, above all, is why she has no right to call herself a feminist, or to associate herself with the name.

34. Lala
    Posted September 13, 2008 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

Want to talk about pro life, I’m pro life and catholic to boot. But we have a democracy not a theocracy and the way I practice it is by supporting anything that is an aid and benefit to mothers and children especially young mothers. I support adoption. Any assistance we can give to moms. But you can not make a woman carry a child she does not chose to carry. And even as a “good catholic” I would not oppose gay marriage. My religious beliefs are personal choices not to be imposed by law.

35. ShifterCat
    Posted September 14, 2008 at 2:08 am | Permalink

I think your views are very reasonable, Lala, but it does sound like they fall into the pro-choice camp. You personally disapprove of abortion and would not choose one yourself, but you don’t believe in limiting the choices of others… sounds pretty pro-choice to me.

36. Lala
    Posted September 14, 2008 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Thank you Shifter that sums up my feelings. I’ll share this something very difficult from not long ago. I have a prima, a cousin whom is my heart we are closer than sisters. so she was heading off to college and finds herself pregnant and I am her only confident. She was/is a great student and worked hard and college was a godsend because not only was it opportunity but it got her out of a very volatile home situation. I never told her to have the baby or not but in my mind was thinking I don’t see how she can. I just told her I love her and I support whatever she chose. As it turned out she did have the child but it was HARD. It was hell for her. The baby is a year old now and incredible (she like my child) but had her back regardless. These are hard decisions and no one has a right to interfere.

37. Posted September 14, 2008 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

One thing that you neglected to point out regarding the working mother issue is that the fact that Palin is using her credentials as a working mother to her benefit shows an awful lot of class privilege. She is wealthy enough that she can make that choice. Palin is applauded for choosing to balance a political career with raising children. Millions of women don’t have that privilege and they don’t get any cookies for working and raising kids. They can’t choose to stay home with their kids simply because they can’t afford it.

38. Dominique
    Posted September 14, 2008 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

While it’s (almost perversely) encouraging to see how civil rights gains have allowed several women to gain some power and defy the stereotype of the submissive little helper, it’s indeed dismaying to see any beneficiaries of civil rights wars actually fighting to turn the clock back… and, in the case of Palin, ensure future generations of women have less freedom than ever. It’s willful blindness on a breathtaking scale.
    As for exposing Palin’s flaws: there seems to be quite enough information *on* the record (paper trails, reports, voting record, budget figures) to make a case against Palin as someone who’s made too many mistakes, in her short and relatively obscure tenure, to be trusted as President (one heartbeat away)… Though yes, it’s important to stress Palin isn’t a feminist, most of the people who care about this issue were never going to vote for the GOP in the first place. The undecided, who are the ones who need to be wooed, will likely be swayed much more by Palin’s spotty track record combined with McCain’s age, making her ascension a definite probability; and by the breathakingly blatant flip-flop turning Palin into a media-darling-cum-glamour-puss mere months after skewering Obama for too much purported star quality… Who looks like Paris Hilton now??? And how quickly has the GOP demonstrated it’ll change its stripes when they think it’s convenient?

39. Ali
    Posted September 14, 2008 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

I do not think that she is a feminist because she does not agree with anything that a feminist would agree with.

40. ShifterCat
    Posted September 14, 2008 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Excellent point, Brinstar.

41. Posted September 15, 2008 at 12:32 am | Permalink

Lala, we all make choices, right? “Privileged” or not….

42. PF
    Posted September 15, 2008 at 12:33 am | Permalink

I guess it didn’t want to take my site:

43. puckalish
    Posted September 15, 2008 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

PF, your site is linked to in your byline on the comments… click on the “PF” to see what i mean…

44. whitneyl
    Posted September 15, 2008 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

This really disappoints me.
    She might not have feminist views on policy, but damn, she’s a feminist because she’s a working mom of five, the governor of Alaska. And she’s criticized for it, so if anything, that’s what women can relate to with her. That’s a feminist belief.

45. Lala
    Posted September 15, 2008 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

I would hope the criteria for being a feminist goes beyond having a job. If we have established that men can be feminists then I guess Dick Cheney is a feminist cuz he has a job too. I mean double standards would be sexist …right?

46. Joan Galt
    Posted September 18, 2008 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

The video clip was excellent and the ensuing commentary interesting. However, as I read through all the comments to the end, I am bothered by an issue that the feminists have overlooked. How is it that you all seemed to have missed the important point that Sarah Palin is a former “beauty queen!”
    Could someone please share with this old-school feminist how a woman who allows herself to be publicly exploited as a sexual object, thus perpetuating this monstrously evil type of pageantry that objectifies and degrades women, could possibly be considered to be a feminist?

47. Posted September 19, 2008 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

goddess! it’s good to hear some REAL WOMEN here ; speak their minds. love the friday feminist fuck you! as it shows that not only is it okay to say those two words together in a sentence and still be a woman[ my mc jerko/ sarah moose-shit voting, republican sister always tells me " women don't say the ' F ' word" !].
    but that while ” mrs.” governor palin may have gotten where she is because of feminists, or ” those next to socialists at NOW” as my sister, a 1965 HS grad; called them? she is definitely NOT even anything close to a friend of women’s rights. personally, the ONLY ” glass ceiling” I could ever see her breaking is , maybe; the one at the assembly of god’s international headquarters! maybe this is, perhaps, the best reason to vote for obama; whom will surely push for the TRUE seperation of church and state! [ or is that " church and hate" everything you do not agree with??] – cheryl :)

48. Posted September 19, 2008 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

oh yes, I forgot totally about the ” beauty queen” shit! something which you will see in every fucking town parade , or block party gathering/county fair which helps to perpetuate the myth of ” femininity” from generation to generation! they just , very simply, do not want to let the people see that girls can drive those farm tractors just as well as the boys; maybe even win that tractor pull to the shame of ole billy joe smith!

49. cherylsass123
    Posted September 19, 2008 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

websters dictionary defines:
    fem-i-nism = advocacy of increased political activity or rights for women 2. fem`i-nist [ noun of such] guess that leaves sarah palin out of the picture , except among her own ” flock” of fundamentalist churchgoers!

50. Jeannie
    Posted January 30, 2009 at 12:09 am | Permalink

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I won’t disagree with you that Sarah Palin isn’t exactly woman-friendly, but I don’t see why you must be pro-choice to be a feminist.
    I am a huge supporter of women’s rights and am an advocate against sexual violence. I am pro-life and consider myself a feminist, thank you very much. So should I not be on Feministing or be a part of NOW because most of the members are pro-choice? THAT is totally wrong.
    I’m not saying that a woman MUST take care of her child if she is not able to / does not want to; there is adoption. I’m not saying that a woman must have her child only within wedlock. I’m not saying that single mothers or fathers shouldn’t be supported. I’m just saying that I say NO to abortion.
    With all these feminists that have constantly accused me of being anti-women’s rights because I’m pro-life, I feel like I’m back in high school again and I’m the outcast and the feminists are the hot, cool, in-crowd cheerleaders. Since when was feminism an exclusive club that you must have permission to join? What about sisterhood? What about putting aside our differences, as long as we’re all here for a common cause: equality for women.
    I may be pro-life but I am also a feminist, and I’m not letting anyone accuse me of being otherwise.