The Real Rosie

Inspired by yesterday’s post on Republicans appropriating classic feminist imagery, reader Patty sent along her version of the Rosie the Riveter poster:
Photobucket Image Hosting
Love the finger.

1. Newbomb Turk
    Posted September 11, 2008 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Given that Palin quoted an avowed Nazi and supporter of the KKK in her convention speech, it takes some nerve for her supporters to invoke Rosie the Riveter, who helped the war effort against fascism.

It tells us something about Sarah Palin’s homage to small-town America, delivered to an enthusiastic GOP convention last week, that she chose to fire it up with an unsourced quotation from the all-time champion of fake populism, the belligerent right-wing columnist Westbrook Pegler.
    “We grow good people in our small towns, with honesty and sincerity and dignity,” the vice-presidential candidate said, quoting an anonymous “writer,” which is to say, Pegler, who must have penned that mellifluous line when not writing his more controversial stuff. As the New York Times pointed out in its obituary of him in 1969, Pegler once lamented that a would-be assassin “hit the wrong man” when gunning for Franklin Roosevelt.

Here’s an article about just what a Jew-hating scumbag Pegler was:

Pegler’s career took off in 1933 when he became a nationally syndicated columnist with Scripps-Howard, roared along under the Hearst family, and ended 30 years later under the auspices of a twitchy sect of neo-Nazis and professional racists from the White Citizens Council and the Rev. Billy James Hargis’ truly reptilian Christian Crusade. At his peak in the 1930s and 1940s, Pegler was a leading popularizer of one of the most concerted antidemocratic crusades in this country’s history: the vicious backlash against the New Deal and the labor movement to which it gave legal protection. This anti-Roosevelt front included the country’s major industrialists, anti-Semitic, red-baiting pamphleteers, Congressman Martin Dies’ Committee on Un-American Activities, and an assortment of Depression-era demagogues (and men on horseback who conspired with Hitler’s agents in this country).

2. Posted September 11, 2008 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

I don’t think Sarah the Riveter isn’t all that historically inaccurate a characterization of Palin. The real Rosie the Riveter was a work of government propaganda intended to reassure the public that women were still women and after the war, would only naturally resume their posts in the kitchen. Sarah fits the contemporary bill.
    I’ve posted more about this in detail here.

3. nattles_thing
    Posted September 11, 2008 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

I’ll give Palin Rosie. Rosie the Riveter is all about women in the workforce, and Palin fits that just fine.
    Say what you like about her feminism, her abysmal record on choice, and so on and so forth, but you can’t say that Sarah Palin hasn’t had a career.

4. xtine
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 12:09 am | Permalink

I don’t care what type of career Sarah Palin has had. She’s not fit to be our next VP or even President. This is not a position just anyone can fill. The person must have extensive experience and she’s not that person. I don’t want a small town major running my country. She’ll destroy our rights as women. Is anything else needed? Now let’s get back to Obama/Biden!

5. doppleganger
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 11:12 am | Permalink

When I got angry over this artical yesterday, I may not have thought of how Sarah Palin has had a career in a relm she could have never thought about entering if it wasn’t for the woman who did NOT go back to “normal” after they saw what they were capable of doing (The symbol of Rosie the Riveter as I have used it since I was 12.) But I gaurantee you that Sarah Palin hasn’t either…

6. doppleganger
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 11:13 am | Permalink

7. doppleganger
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 11:14 am | Permalink

8. doppleganger
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Gee for a first time poster (on any blog site not just feministing) I only messed it up three times. I’m blushing for sure.

9. Posted September 12, 2008 at 11:42 am | Permalink

10. Posted September 12, 2008 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

I also agree that Rosie The Riveter could be appropriate for Sarah Palin because Rosie was originally U. S. war propaganda to get (white) women into the workforce for little to no pay, only to shove them back “where they belonged” once the boys in uniform came home. Here’s more on my blog:
    Sarah Palin/Rosie The Riveter

11. doppleganger
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

So I know I’m a first time poster and all but I’d like to know why the following post was posted under my screen name? Doppleganger isn’t likely a common screen name even if there is a staggering amount of Buffy fans out there.
    “Regardless of what Palin advocates, Rosie was about women living the household and entering the workforce. Palin is a working mom. We may not like the association because of what she stands for politically but she is doing just what Rosie encouraged women to do.”
    This was not posted by me. (However the accidental 3 posts in a row and the following “oops my bad” post was.)
    I really would like to know if this is some glitch or if for my first post I get hacked and/or misrepresented. Come on..

12. newslang
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

I agree that Palin is a working mother, but Rosie is a symbol that is really closely associated with feminism, something that Palin is very far from. So yea, Palin is a working mom, but I don’t buy that that’s what they were trying to invoke when they photoshopped her face onto there. I don’t know if a lot of people will do the extra thinking on this to draw the conclusion about women in the workforce and I think that’s what they’re banking on. People looking at it and going “oh, a feminist icon with Palin’s face on it, she must be a feminist.” It’s a really sneaky way of tricking women into thinking that Palin cares about their rights, which, quite frankly, she doesn’t.
    Anywho, what I really wanted to know is: can we turn this into a Facebook bumper sticker? I think it’d look pretty awesome adorning my profile.

13. doppleganger
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

(Ok so apparently my mind sees the post as living in the lined area with the name of the poster not a line under my post with my name after. Enough of my technical difficulties.)
    I find the associations with Palin and the original Rosie very interesting. However I’m angry because Rosie has become a symbol FOR ME of things that Sarah Palin does NOT represent. It’s plain to see I’m not the only one that feels my Rosie has been highjacked (or else we wouldn’t have the lovely picture above that I printed for my own enjoyment!) for use by a woman who doesn’t represent feminism. My anger is that she (and others) are now using feminism all of a sudden to pat themselves on the back when they have turned their back on it for so long and even monstratized it! I have been made to feel ashamed of saying I’m a feminist by other women around me (because it isn’t “cool” to be a feminist) up until just a few weeks ago. And now all of a sudden it’s ok to be a feminist because this extremly conservitive woman and her campaign want to use it to gain the power that Hillary acheived? That insults me. And frankly I believe that it insults all women whether they can see it or not.

14. noctuidae
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Speaking of fabulous photoshopping… I remember reading an article comparing Palin to ‘Bush in a skirt*’….
    * Actually I think it might have been the ‘Woman against Sarah Palin blog’