More on the RNC raids

I want to put in a plug for the site TheUptake, which has obsessive (in a good way) coverage and videos of the RNC protests and raids. They’ve got the video of DemocracyNow’s Amy Goodman leaping a fence to question some journalists who were detained:

Glenn Greenwald and Lindsay Beyerstein have more on the house raids. Here’s one video:

And last but certainly not least, the awesome Anne Elizabeth Moore is filing dispatches from St. Paul on the Feministing Community site, and we’ll be posting them all to the front page so you don’t miss a single one. You can also follow Anne at CodePink’s blog and on Twitter. Click here to read her first post.

1. Posted August 31, 2008 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

I am incredibly disturbed that these raids are taking place and even more so upset that the mainstream press has seen fit largely not to cover these stories. It seems that the police and the media are working together to repress the rights of citizens. There can be no doubt whose interests they really serve. Thanks for the update!

2. Posted August 31, 2008 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

This makes me sick.
    There really are no words for how disgusting it is that they think they can get away with stuff like that.

3. Nebraska
    Posted August 31, 2008 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Thank you for covering this. The situation in St. Paul is out of control. Everyone please contact the media and demand that they cover this!

4. ellenrose
    Posted August 31, 2008 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Thank you Anne and Feministing for uplifting this story for all of us. I am totally appalled and outraged. I can’t help but feel that the shit is hitting the fan. And yes, the mainstream media’s silence on this is deafening.
    I don’t know about everybody else, but I’m depressed. There’s still a painful Sarah Palin echo chamber in my head, and Hurricane Katrina redux is threatening fragile New Orleans.
    Is it me, or is the shit hitting the fan?

5. ellenrose
    Posted August 31, 2008 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Thank you Anne and Feministing for uplifting this story for all of us. I am totally appalled and outraged. And yes, the mainstream media’s silence on this is deafening.
    Is it me, or is the shit hitting the fan?

6. maude
    Posted August 31, 2008 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

Amy is one of my heros. This is utter bullshit that the police were trying to do some sort of “terror” raid against them. They were just trying to terrorize and silence the journalists not protect and serve the public.

7. AliCat
    Posted September 1, 2008 at 5:13 am | Permalink

I am just amazed at how coherent and articulate this young woman is (although visibly traumatized) after such an invasion into her home, and the treatment she and fellow housemates were subjected to. Lying on the floor, handcuffed because you hold certain views which differ from those pushed by the powers that be, and their mouthpiece being mainstream media… I would have been blithering with shock! This is just control through fear, and uses exactly the same tactics as those in power are supposed to be protecting us in the west against. You know, those of us lucky enough to be living in the “free world”, where individual rights and freedom of speech are held sacred… Blah, blah, blah. Like the young woman says, such treatment actually backfires in the end, because it has made her more resolved to fight for her cause.

8. closet librarian
    Posted September 1, 2008 at 11:38 am | Permalink

I was actually upset enough about this that I wrote an email to the Ramsey County Sheriff’s office, to wit:
    to: ContactRamseyCounty@co.ramsey.mn.us
    Re: Reminder about what the law is all about
    To Whom it may Concern in Ramsey County,
    First, please be advised that I am neither an anarchist, nor affiliated with the RNC Welcoming Committee or whatever they heck they are calling themselves. However, I am still an American citizen, and it concerns me deeply that you have apparently forgotten everything you were taught in your high school Government class. So just a brief refresher. Lesson number 1:
    Amendment 1 to the Constitution of the United States of America
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition
    the Government for a redress of grievances. (Emphasis added)
    So okay, they are anti-government. Considering the last 8 Bush years, a LOT of people are anti-government. These people were arranging a protest in the privacy of their own homes. Why is this a police-related problem? Refresher lesson number 2.
    Amendment 4 to the Constitution of the United States of America
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. (Emphasis added)
    You’re probably rather familiar with this one, but remember: organizing a protest is not probable cause for a search or seizure.
    This action was unreasonable by any definition. Protesting the RNC is not a crime, just as protesting the DNC is not a crime.
    In fact, if this “raid” is publicized, it may do more harm than good to the image of the RNC anyway.
    All I can do is sigh and shake my head. Such impetuousness and over-zealousness is typical of a government that knows it is heading in the wrong direction.
    Next time, it might be in your best interests to practice a little discretion. . . an do a little research to remind yourself what it means to live in a free country.
    Regards,
    - Rheesa

9. HabeasCorpus
    Posted September 3, 2008 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Rheesa,
    Excellent letter. I had been completely unaware of what was happening in St. Paul until I stumbled across this (as well as some reporting on Salon.com on Glenn Greenwald’s blog.)
    As a libertarian (small “L” is deliberate) these types of heavy handed tactics sicken me. Regardless of your party or political beliefs, this type of seemingly arbitrary “law enforcement” in order to stifle peaceful political dissent have zero place in America.
    Were the police raiding the members of the John Birch Society who showed up at Ron Paul’s much-publicized rally across town?
    This smacks of the Orwellian, fenced-off “Free Speech Zones” that the Bush Administration was so fond of in the months after 9-11. “I respect your right to disagree” said the King … but don’t do it near me.
    Tonight I put my ass on the line and left a message with Chris Young, the Mayor of St. Paul asking him to explain how he could let his law enforcement officers participate in the arrest of a credentialed journalist who clearly was not a threat to anyone.
    I’ll let you know tomorrow if the Feds show up on my doorstep.
    Finally, I would encourage everyone to use the Yahoo “Buzz Up” feature on the Salon articles (or any other related articles) around the hijinks in St. Paul. I know for a fact that Yahoo uses “Buzz Up” to preference the stories it highlights — especially on the front page. Other social bookmarking tools like Digg and Stumble can also raise the visibility of what’s happening in St. Paul.
    You have more power than you think … use it.
    Matt

10. Deva
    Posted March 9, 2009 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Activists planning protests around the Republican National Convention say they are being targeted in a heavy-handed attempt to chill dissent after police arrested five people, detained dozens of others, and seized computers and protest guides in raids Friday night and Saturday on private homes and the major meeting center.
    The “RNC Welcoming Committee,” an organization of dozens of activist groups and individuals from around the country, has been planning demonstrations for over a year at the convention. The largest, which activists said could draw up to 50,000 people, is scheduled for Monday, the opening day of the convention.