Sarah Palin

So McCain has chosen Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate. She’s young — 44 — and a self-described “hockey mom.” Because Palin is relatively unknown on the national level (she’s been governor since 2006, and before that was mayor of a town of 8,000 people), a lot of people are already identifying this as a ploy to snag the votes of disaffected Hillary Clinton supporters. I don’t know whether that’s true (my guess is yes), but it’s my sense that Hillary backers who don’t like Obama are not going to like a McCain/Palin ticket much better.
Let me say right off the bat that, overall, I think it’s great that Republicans have chosen to elevate a woman to this level — no matter what their motivations. I want to see more women of all parties involved in politics. But, as we stated over and over in the primaries, a politician’s gender isn’t everything. It’s merely one factor to be considered. And quite frankly, Palin’s political views suck.
First up, she’s super anti-choice. The forced-pregnancy crowd is thrilled today! (She recently had her fifth child, who has Down’s syndrome.) She’s against marriage equality and supports a federal gay-marriage ban, but has made sure to note that she “has gay friends.” Though she has signed on to same-sex partner benefits. She believes schools should teach creationism. She’s also pretty terrible on environmental issues, and is a huge advocate of drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge. Plus, she’s embroiled in a scandal:

But Palin’s seemingly bright future was clouded in late July when the state legislature voted to hire an independent investigator to find out whether she tried to have a state official fire her ex-brother-in-law from his job as a state trooper.

As Vanessa blogged last month, Bill Kristol was claiming McCain would pick Palin — and that would prove that Republicans are “much more open to strong women.” Frankly, that’s bullshit. Republicans are more open to a certain type of woman — one who is strongly against things like equal pay, universal health care, and reproductive freedom. In other words, the party is pro-woman-candidates, as long as they enact anti-woman policies.
More to come later… Any Alaskans out there who know a bit more about her? What do the rest of you think?
UPDATE: My colleague Adam over at TAP makes some great points:

The pick of Palin is dripping with transparent condescension, the notion that the enthusiasm behind Hillary was simply the result of her being a woman, that it had nothing to do with what she actually stood for, and in that sense it’s equally sexist. Palin is essentially a hard right ideologue, and therefore nothing like Hillary as far as substance is concerned. It’s not very different from running Alan Keyes against Barack Obama in 2004. The conservative media reaction has already engaged in paternalistic language, with FOX News reporting on television that “McCain broke the glass ceiling,” implying in fact, that the pick had nothing to do with Palin or her qualifications, but merely her gender. It’s fitting that the party positing affirmative action as a program that picks people exclusively based on race or gender rather than qualification should do something similar given an opportunity for political advancement. While Obama is promising change through policy, not simply through the circumstances of his birth, the McCain campaign thinks his appeal is simply visual and demographic, and therefore something they can exploit.

UPDATE II: Bilerico has more on her record on LGBT issues.

1. Madison
    Posted September 9, 2008 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

More evidence that Obama has a problem with women, here’s Senator Biden saying that electing Sarah Palin as Vice-President of the United States is actually a step back for women.

2. redsundownplayer
    Posted September 9, 2008 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

I read the posts on this blog a lot, until today I wasn’t a member. I’m a strong women with a degree in electronics, an executive at my own firm, have been a firefighter, a single mom, the Vice President of a local non profit, I love to wear heels and also love to fish. I am a lot like a lot of you.
    It is very saddening to me that people on either side of the fence feel this need to throw mud. Just because you have an opinion doesn’t mean your opinion is always right.
    Whether it be Obama/Biden or McCain/Palin I want the persons who win to be the best people for the job. I am not going to vote republican because I am a republican or vote democrat because I am a democrat….. people are flawed on both sides.
    It is far beyond time in this country that we start working as a United team. If we don’t, we are going to be damned as republicans and damned as democrats rather than being damned if we vote for someone of the other party…
    I have seen a lot of uneducated posts on here making statements for candidates that the candidates have not made themselves. If you have something that is provable truth, then post it, otherwise stay quiet unless you want to come off as an uneducated band wagon party supporter.
    If we don’t start getting past the bi partisan politics in this country our great nation is going to fail due to internal division. Look at every great civilization in history and how they fell. History repeats itself when people don’t learn from past mistakes.
    Sadly, all I see on all the blogs and posts is the same dismal crap being spewed between parties. I hear people talking about what they want to see changed but no solutions. I see a lot of people who take no accountability and have this entitlement ideology. We are entitled to only what we earn or create. If this great nation fails, we are entitled to that as well because of our lack of accountability or ambition.
    This is why I rarely post to blogs, I take the personal initiative to get out there and make my world a better place by helping others rather than sitting at home posting some dribble about what I want to see on a blog.

3. alissa
    Posted September 9, 2008 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

I don’t feel that Palin is a bad candidate because of her family situation. I agree with shiftercat that getting married because you got pregnant is a bad move on anyone’s part. I am a single mother by choice. I have been engaged but decided that getting married because I was pregnant was a bad decision. My mom raised me and my sisters to be upstanding women. When my sister got pregnant at seventeen, just like my mom did at her age, my mom flat out told her that she wasn’t going to get married until she was ready to commit and she knew that she wasn’t getting married just because of the baby. My mom declined my dad’s proposal twice before they finally got married stating that she would leave my dad the first time he ever said that they had to get married because of the baby. I have a bad feeling that Mama Palin is making Bristol get married so that it doesn’t hurt her political chances. It’s hard to lead in a morally high strunge party when you have an unwed mother at home. I also know however what it’s like to have to deal with the dead beat dad type. My sons’ father left me and won’t have anything to do with the boys just because I told him I didn’t want to get married and my boys would have my name. I have to admit I’m pro Obama, it’s not because of I have anything against a strong women in a lead position, I am one after all, but because Obama had a dead beat dad, has worked with women who are having trouble because of dead beat dads and has shown that just because you have a dead beat dad doesn’t mean you can’t be a great dad. I also like the fact that Obama plans on going after dead beat dads. And I’m sorry Palin supporters but I tend not to vote for women just because they are women. I trust my instincts and they say Palin isn’t good for our country. I however believe that sadly McCain will probably win with the elderly female vote.

4. kijosa
    Posted September 10, 2008 at 2:29 am | Permalink

Doesnt’ anyone feel that Palin should have to answer real questions from the American people instead of reading the same ole script everytime. The McCain group has been sheilding her and she has refused any interviews. Why is that? If she has nothing to hide why shouldn’t she answer to real questions, not just what the Republicans have wrote for her. The McCain party has said she’s not ready, but wasn’t she Govenor, then shouldn’t she be ready? IF she is not ready for interviews, what makes them think she is ready for the VP slot? Some reporters have been allowed to fly with her but not allowed to report on it. Now 30 investigators have been sent to Alaska to investigate and find the truth and people are like thats not fair. Well if she would answer questions and stop reinventing her truths those investigtors wouldn’t be there. In Lebanon, PA her supporters wanted her to jump up and make a speech just like McCain had just did and what did she do.. walk right down the line, shake hands, and get in a SUV and drive away. Now all of a sudden the Republican party has hand picked the one journalist who has proven that he will not call McCain on his false statements, to interview Palin on her home turf, only after Palin has been briefed and the script written. If that is not a biased interview where the truth will not be brought to life I don’t know what is.
    She might become our VP(gosh I hope not) and she doesn’t have to anwser to the American people she might lead. Where does that make any sense? When are Americans going to stop fawning over her and coddling her and demand the truth and not a script.

5. kijosa
    Posted September 10, 2008 at 2:30 am | Permalink

6. kijosa
    Posted September 10, 2008 at 3:15 am | Permalink

Feminist should be happy we have a woman VP that even has a chance. This is the first one. Atleast try to be somewhat supportive even if she isn’t your favorite choice. Not all feminist are Democrats. You are knocking out a whole group of women when you knock out the Republicans and the Palin supporters. We don’t have to all agree on everything, but we should atleast band together as women trying to make a change in the world for the better. That IS what we have in common.
    Posted by Shannon | September 7, 2008 10:
    I find this post very sad. Yes I agree it would be great to have a woman in such a high power position, but not one who has repeatedly falsified her stance on issues or changed them because of public views.
    Also I have been watching CNN and according them she did inquiry about “banning books” and threatened to fire the librarian, but due to public pressure dropped it. Also according to Sarah Palin aerial hunting is just a predator control tactic, but according to a University of Alaska conservationist there is no threat from wolfes towards the populations of caribou or bears and has research to back that up. And she has spent over $400,000 of taxpayers money to advertise aerial hunting. Also she fired and then rehired 4 government officials.. claiming afterwards that it was just a “loyalty test”. Loyalty test are you kidding me. Since when do we use tactics like this to force people to agree with her or get out. We need to wake up and realize we are being snowed. Find the facts, do the research and then decide if you want a woman like that in power.

7. moni
    Posted September 10, 2008 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Vicki from Alaska writes:
    Dear Family & Friends,
    Because I have received e-mails from many of you asking for any information and insight into the newly-selected Republican VP candidate, Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, I thought I’d put some of my personal knowledge and observations together and send it out en masse. It’s information I’d like to get out as quickly as possible, and invite you to share with your own network of family and friends who might also find it useful.
    I have lived in Alaska for 15 years. I arrived as a member of the U.S. Air Force, stationed at Elmendorf Air Force Base (on the outskirts of Anchorage), and 6 years later I retired from the service. My husband, also an Air Force retiree, and I decided to stay in Alaska to raise our family and take advantage of the nearly unlimited opportunities we saw here. Our first 9 years were spent living in Anchorage and its suburbs – a city of about 275,000 people – and for the last 6 years we have lived in Wasilla, the home town of Gov. Palin. Wasilla city limits encompass about 7,000 residents, but Wasilla is an integral and centrally-located part of a much larger area known as the Matanuska-Susitna (Mat-Su) Borough, which is by far the fastest growing area of the state. Mat-Su is approximately the size of West Virginia, and it currently has just over 80,000 residents. Mat-Su’s population is growing at a rate of about 10 people per day. Wasilla itself is located about 40 miles northwest of Anchorage.
    Sarah Palin attended Wasilla High School, the same school my 2 older children attended and the one my youngest will attend in 2 years. It has about 600 students total in grades 9-12. While she left the state to attend college, she returned when finished and married and settled right here in Wasilla. Her house is about 3 miles from mine, on a beautiful lake, but it’s nothing fancy (I would guess about 3-4 bedrooms, 2-3 baths). It is not a new or luxurious home, but one that has been there for many years, with a nice yard that even includes some weeds occasionally (just like mine).
    After her children reached school age, she became involved in the local Iditarod Elementary School PTA. Her community involvement made her a well-known local, and she was elected to Wasilla City Council in 1994. She was elected mayor in 1996, and served two 3-year terms. She was unable to run for a third term due to term limits. She brought organization and fiscal responsibility to Wasilla, which was no easy task. She instituted a 2% city sales tax which allowed Wasilla to have its own police force. She enabled the building and improvement of much of Wasilla’s infrastructure. All this she was able to do without increasing property taxes.
    During the next 4 years, her political life evidently took a back seat to family. I discovered that her youngest (at that time) child attended the same elementary school as my youngest, and I often saw her at school events. She attended Christmas concerts, award assemblies, conferences, sporting events and potlucks just like other parents. It was hard to find her in a crowd; she was wearing jeans or sweatpants and sweatshirts and snow boots, mittens and a parka, just like the rest of us. I saw her occasionally at the grocery store, again, always in jeans and a t-shirt, sneakers and a smile. Her husband, Todd, is almost as much a local celebrity as Sarah is, because he participates in and won the Iron Dog Race. Their older kids played local and high school hockey, and the Palins were always seen at the games, cheering on their kids, always from the ‘cheap seats;’ no special privileges.
    Sarah revived her political career in 2006 by announcing her intention to run, as a Republican, against the incumbent Republican governor who had made many very public faux pas involving potential misuse of public money and preferential treatment for special interest groups. Sarah campaigned on a platform of reform within Alaskan Republican Party, in which many of us had lost faith. She won the primary by a landslide, and defeated her Democrat challenger (a former Alaska governor) soundly in the general election. She won the popular vote in nearly all demographic categories, including women, Alaska Natives, small business owners, city, and rural dwellers. Since her election, she has kept her promises to clean up the Alaska Republican Party, and to govern by doing what she believes is right, regardless of ‘party lines’ or political correctness. Believe me, she is giving the international energy companies (BP, Conoco Phillips, etc) a run for their money with her tough negotiating stances on their current oil field operations and for the proposed natural gas pipeline. When the Democrats now say she won’t or can’t ‘stand up to big oil,’ they haven’t done their homework, and they certainly don’t live in Alaska.
    As rare and unlikely as it may seem, she truly cares about the people she represents and about using her office for their benefit. And that’s what really draws me to Sarah – the fact that I know she DOES represent me! I’ve seen her enough to know that her world is (normally) my world, and that she looks at state and world events with the same concerns and mindset that I do. I’m tired of being ‘represented’ by people who have never stood in line at the grocery store, worn funny-colored homemade mittens to a local hockey game, or sat in the cheap seats. Maybe the best way to bring true integrity back into politics is to elect someone whose life hasn’t been so far removed from the experiences of the ‘ordinary’ middle class American family, what I believe to be the great silent majority.
    For those concerned about Sarah’s support of drilling in ANWR (Alaska National Wildlife Refuge), you must understand that NO ONE is more in love with Alaskan splendor and wildlife than Alaskans. We can harvest and benefit from these natural resources without destroying the environment. Both the technology and the methodology do exist! We have enacted some of the strictest legislation in the country to protect our environment. Alaskans do not think we know better than other states’ residents what those states should do to protect their own land and environment. We ask for the same consideration. We have no intention of allowing our home to be maimed or destroyed. If we are satisfied with a balanced approach and plan to drill in ANWR, who is any non-Alaskan to say otherwise?
    Sarah is a unique and compelling figure in politics, and especially in this particular election. As Alaskans, we could not be more proud of our Sarah, whether or not she becomes our next Vice President. With Sarah, like most Alaskans, what you see is what you get. If what you see in Sarah is to your liking, let her know with your vote in November. I feel privileged to be able to highly recommend her!
    Vicki

8. moni
    Posted September 10, 2008 at 8:47 am | Permalink

From Butch & Kathy in Alaska
    many of our friends are asking us “Who is Sarah Palin?” Of course, as Alaskans, Kathy and I are extremely proud of her. We just want to let you know that Sarah “Barracuda” Palin is a straight shooting, hard charging, get it done gal. She knows when to listen, how to analyze the facts and how to make a decision, then implement the plan. She doesn’t do a poll before jumping in with both feet like too many of the Washington types. She has little legislative experience because she has always held the EXECUTIVE position; in private life, as mayor of Anchorage’s largest bedroom community or more recently as Governor of our State. She is a smart, attractive home grown Alaska girl with excellent moral and family values. She can see what needs to be done and does not hesitate to get it done.
    One of our State’s major problems is that its Capital is in Juneau, 500 miles from the nearest road and 800 air miles from the population base which is Anchorage, Wasilla and Fairbanks. Our legislature and most of the State government is in Juneau and they ALL behave like a bunch of freshmen in a college town. It has been this way since Statehood in 1959. When Sarah moved to Juneau, so did accountability and responsibility When the oil revenue started flown and a barrel of North Slope Crude hit $23.00, these people began spending money like drunken sailors. You can only imagine what was happenings when oil hit $100.00 a barrel, about the time Sarah took command. My wife Kathy has first-hand experience with this fiasco, as her father and also her ex-husband were Alaska Legislators who served in Juneau as Senators, Senate President, or members of the State House for a combined period spanning nearly three decades.
    About the time Sarah took the HELM as Governor of Alaska, about half of the State legislature was in the pocket of big oil companies or contractors doing big projects for Native Corporations around Alaska, all funded by State oil revenue. Alaska government was nothing but a good old boys club riding the perpetual wave of prosperity. This filtered down from the legislature, through the Department of Natural Resources, Department of Labor and even spilled in to the Public Safety who are supposed to “preserve and protect”.
    When Sarah walked into the Governor’s Mansion, she promptly dismissed the State Trooper detachment assigned to Governor and had her and her husband’s gun case brought in from Wasilla. Then, she got rid of the former Governor’s STATE Jet and told legislators that there were no more free rides, they would have to fly Alaska Airlines, just like her and her family if they wanted to travel. Next came the nut cutting (the Barracuda part) the heads that rolled were too numerous to name, but when Sarah finished cleaning house, a number of our legislators ended up in jail for on corruption charges, or tendered their resignations along with numerous department heads and those who have been riding the gravy train for way too long, AND THEN SHE HAD LUNCH. By the end of the day, Sarah Palin had saved the people of Alaska millions and has not yet slowed down.
    She has truly brought CHANGE to Juneau. I personally know several persons in the private sector in Alaska, that hold her in high esteem. She surrounds herself with smart people, many from my hometown of Anchorage, she listens to them but makes her own decisions. Sarah Palin is a no B.S. politician. It is refreshing that there is such a thing anymore. You want to talk about CHANGE? You should see a before and after picture of the State government in Alaska. That’s CHANGE! Sarah will bring a number of things to the election. I am sure she will appeal many voters who my otherwise could have gone the other direction on election day. The conservative block will not be for Barack. We have their vote. We need what Sarah will bring, first to the election and second, what she will bring to Washington D.C. McCain has been advised well, Let’s just hope the American people can get the straight scoop on her in the weeks ahead. This is just the opinion of one Alaska Bush Pilot and Guide, who pays attention to national politics, watches the news and is deathly afraid of the direction our nation is headed. I guarantee that if Sarah gets a chance to dig her spurs into the flanks of the liberal Washington types, they will know that she is in the saddle.
    Butch & Kathy

9. alissa
    Posted September 10, 2008 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

Okay so Palin is a woman, Obama is black and McCain and Biden are old white guys. So what. I don’t care about your race, gender or religious background. They are irrelevant to the issues. And what are those issues? Palin’s daughter is pregnant, McCain is a Bush clone, Obama has a muslim name? I mean are those the things that we need to consider to make an educated decision about who should be our next leader? I don’t care if Palin is a regular mom, or if Obama is just a community organizer. I want to know where ALL of the candidates stand on the issues. You know the ones. We know where they stand on the war, so we can use that. We know where Obama stands on the economy and we can make an educated guess about McCain’s stance based on the Bush clone comment. But what about health care, the environment, public education and the energy crisis. Now I know McCain is an Oil man and Obama isn’t, so which is the better candidate? And why is it that the Virgin mogul is the only real person with a plan and the money to back it up? I know Palin has a downs child, so what is her stance on medical care for special needs children like mine and hers? Now my son is just autistic but he still has special educational needs, so where do they all stand on public education for special needs children? And as for Biden’s comment about embrionic stem cell research. You don’t have to have a special child to support stem cell research and I think that you don’t have to support it to show that you care for your children. If women are going to abort their babies that’s their choice. But, why can’t we use those unwanted children to help take care of the rest of them. There are also other sources that can be utilized for embrionic stem cells such as your babies cord blood. You can freeze it for your own future use but I chose to donate my son’s cord blood for scientific research. I wanted to do my part to help save other peoples children while I was celebrating my own little on. Now I really dislike the comments made by both Palin and McCain about Obama being ‘just a public organizer’. When companies go under and people are losing their jobs it’s a public organizer who teaches those workers a new trade and brings the communities together to help support one another. Roosevelt did almost the same thing during the depression with his public works projects. Now as for the comment above ‘femenists should be happy that we have a female candidate for VP’. That’s a bunch of BS. I didn’t want to vote for Hillary either and she got closer to breaking the proverbial glass ceiling than Palin has. I mean she almost did it on her own. She didn’t have to piggy back into office on a male ticket. Hillary could have done it too if it hadn’t been for the lies, deception and her husbands power trip. I don’t like Palin, but that’s just because I haven’t been given a good reason to vote for her. I don’t know where she stands on the issues and I don’t think that we will be given a good view of where she stands. I feel that McCain is using her as a smoke screen so that we don’t ask him any of the tough questions that he can’t give a good answer for, that doesn’t sound like a Bushism. I don’t want to hear anything about a candidates personal life all I want to know is the facts, that’s it. I respect Obama for not releasing any smear ads until recently and even those that he has released have been strictly facts, nothing personal about any of the candidates or their families, just the stances they’ve taken in the past politically.

10. moni
    Posted September 11, 2008 at 12:26 am | Permalink

alissa…
    Let’s cut through all the crap and get to cold hard facts on just 1 point.
    TAXES:
    If you want a America that takes from the rich and gives to the poor (income distribution) like Obama preaches, then you are for SOCIALISM. Obama position on taxes is that he will give tax breaks to 95% of Americans. 40% of Americans do not pay taxes. What his plan really is a a payment of $500-$1000. How will he pay for it? Increasing the taxes on those Americans that make $250,00 or more.
    Obama says that this is good for the economy and helps working class Americans. Sounds good, right.
    On Sunday, Obama stated on ABC that if the economy was stalled or in a recession, he would NOT increase taxes on Americans making over $250,000 since it would make an economic recovery more difficult (i.e. -hurt the economy). Why would anyone actively pursue and policy that restricts economic growth?
    Hummmm. Do you think that Obama’s original position (see his web site for details) was really an effort to BUY votes on the 95% of Americans for $500-$1000?
    Obama has reversed his position on ENERGY and EDUCATION this past week as well. The teacher Unions are really pissed off! The facts are available if you really want to know the truth about Obama. You just have to look harder since the MSM does not want you to find it.
    If you need some help, let me know. I will be glad to point you in the right direction so that you can make the determination yourself..
    Cheers.
    Moni

11. kijosa
    Posted September 11, 2008 at 4:58 am | Permalink

Moni, you want cold hard facts, ok well here is some for you…… And yes these are proven FACTS!!!
    Republican presidential nominee John McCain and his running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, equated lawmakers’ requests for funding for special projects with corruption on Wednesday even though Palin herself has requested nearly $200 million in so-called “earmarks” this year.
    Campaigning in Virginia, McCain suggested earmarks are particularly shameful at a time when families are struggling with rising food, gas and home mortgage costs. He vowed again to veto any bill that contains such funding.
    Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama hasn’t asked for any earmarks this year.John McCain’s idea of changing Washington is a vice-presidential candidate who, as governor, requested more pork per person than any other state in the country,” said Obama campaign spokesman Tommy Vietor.
    Still, McCain and Palin’s attack on earmarks in the face of those she has requested joins other statements by the vice presidential nominee that have been widely debunked:
    _Palin routinely claims to have put an end to Alaska’s infamous “bridge to nowhere,” even though she supported the project during her gubernatorial campaign and turned against it only when it became a national embarrassment and Congress threatened to cut its funding.
    _Palin has claimed that she put the governor’s jet on the Internet auction site eBay, and McCain has said it was sold at a profit. However, the jet was never sold via eBay.
    _Palin says she eliminated the governor’s chef from the state budget, yet she gave the person another job in state government.
    By JENNIFER LOVEN, Associated Press Writer
    1) She is presently under investigation in Alaska for abuse of power
    2) She offered a bounty of $150 for each right front leg of freshly killed wolves
    3) She is opposed to abortion even in cases of rape and incest
    4) She is a champion for big oil and supports drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and everywhere else
    5) She believes creationism should be taught in public schools
    6) She believes man-made global warming is a farce
    7) She is opposed to listing the polar bear as an endangered species because she thinks it will limit oil exploitation
    8) While mayor of Wasilla she tried to fire the city librarian because the librarian refused to censor books, until the public outrage.
    9) She supports aerial hunting of wolves and bears even though Alaskans voted twice to ban the practice
    10) She used $400,000 of state money to fund a media campaign in support of aerial hunting
    - Nothing off limits. Barack Obama has used his family as a prop from time to time — most recently, bringing the charming girls onto the stage at the end of his convention speech. That’s life in politics; everybody does it to some degree.Very few politicians do it as all-out as Sarah Palin just did, from citing the disabilities of her youngest child as part of her resume to including the shotgun groom of her elder daughter. I can’t recall any spectacle comparable to Baby Trig being passed from Cindy McCain, to Trig’s 7-year-old sister, to Palin herself when she ended the speech. Her husband looks charming, I have to say. From this point on it will be hard for her to declare anything about her personal or family life out-of-bounds. written by James Fallows

12. kijosa
    Posted September 11, 2008 at 5:48 am | Permalink

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has billed taxpayers for 312 nights spent in her own home during her first 19 months in office, charging a “per diem” allowance intended to cover meals and incidental expenses while traveling on state business. Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has billed taxpayers for 312 nights spent in her own home during her first 19 months in office, charging a “per diem” allowance intended to cover meals and incidental expenses while traveling on state business. The governor’s daughters and husband charged the state $43,490 to travel, and many of the trips were between their house in Wasilla and Juneau, the capital city 600 miles away, the documents show.
    She wrote some form of “Lodging — own residence” or “Lodging — Wasilla residence” more than 30 times at the same time she took a per diem, according to the reports. In two dozen undated amendments to the reports, the governor deleted the reference to staying in her home but still charged the per diem.
    Palin charged the state a per diem for working on Nov. 22, 2007 — Thanksgiving Day. The reason given, according to the expense report, was the Great Alaska Shootout, an annual NCAA college basketball tournament held in Anchorage.
    In separate filings, the state was billed about $25,000 for Palin’s daughters’ expenses and $19,000 for her husband’s.
    Flights topped the list for the most expensive items, and the daughter whose bill was the highest was Piper, 7, whose flights cost nearly $11,000, while Willow, 14, claimed about $6,000 and Bristol, 17, accounted for about $3,400.
    One event was in New York City in October 2007, when Bristol accompanied the governor to Newsweek’s third annual Women and Leadership Conference, toured the New York Stock Exchange and met local officials and business executives. The state paid for three nights in a $707-a-day hotel room. Garnero said the governor’s office has the authority to approve hotel stays above $300
    The family also charged for flights around the state, including trips to Alaska events such as the start of the Iditarod dog-sled race and the Iron Dog snowmobile race, a contest that Todd Palin won. (I take it that was state business too, right)

13. kijosa
    Posted September 11, 2008 at 5:49 am | Permalink

14. alissa
    Posted September 11, 2008 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Ok Moni
    Just out of curiousity which one of our presidents was it that gave tax breaks to the wealthiest 10% of the US population so that HE could make more money per year? HHHMMMMM. Regan, honey, it was called Reganomics remember. So my question is, was the country in such dire staights before Regan took office that those tax breaks were nessasary? And who did he raise the taxes on to cover those tax breaks ? The average middle class working men and women. So is it such a stretch to ask that we go back to a pre-Regan economy? And just so you know I think that a quarter of a mil a year is quite a lot of money and sadly not that hard to live off of. But you have to understand I am a typical single mom raising two kids, working full time for only 400 a wk and paying half of that to my daycare provider. I have an ex who thinks that he shouldn’t have to pay child support because there was never a DNA test taken, which he refused to take when offered. I get SSI for my oldest sun but even that is only 200 a month. I don’t make enough to have a nice car or cable or a cell phone and if it wasn’t for the fact that my son uses the internet as part of his special education I wouldn’t even have that. I make too much for government assistance and not enough to survive. So let me guess, you make way more than 23,000 a year right. Well I’m telling you that from the prospective of the struggling lower-middle, Obama’s plan sounds good. And if it wasn’t for the help of my community and my family, me and my sons would be living on the street right know. And don’t give me any crap about how I could always find a better job, guess what I live in the middle of the farm belt where if you don’t farm you work in a factory. Must I remind you that I’m a single mom. I can’t work the kind of hours that most high paying factory jobs require that you put in and which are not at all family friendly. So I work at one that is somewhat family friendly that pays 9.30 starting and gives you holidays off. I still put in at a minimum 45-50 hrs a wk. So you do the math is it a good plan to not tax the lower class so much so that they can afford to live and spend money on other things than just bills? I mean wouldn’t that stimulate the economy? Think about this, if I had an extra say 40 dollars a month I could go out to eat once with my family or maybe see a movie or I could save that money to send my boys to college or I could put it away to buy my boys some decent christmas gifts or maybe some better clothes than WalMart and Goodwill can provide. No instead I have to wait for the broke man’s holiday, you know the one, tax time. That is when I have enough money to buy my family all of the clothes that they will need for the whole yr. That is when I buy my son’s school supplies and that is when I pay all the medical bills that have been accumulating for the year. But you know what I think that all and all I have a pretty damn good life. A little bit of a break would just make it that much easier. So when someone comes up with a better plan than socialism, and yes I do know that, that is socialism, let me know because I can’t see a way of making ends meet for another 4 yrs with McCain in office.

15. moni
    Posted September 12, 2008 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

kijosa:
    Good comeback. But please allow me to retort…Due to the numerous points that you make, I will address them individually. However, my replies will be accompanied with legitimate newspaper articles, not blogger smears. I suggest that should you decide to reply, please do so with a link to a legitimate source.
    Again, since your list is extensive, I may need to have several posts over the new few days. I do work and it is time consuming to find the “real” facts.
    1. You stated…”Palin has sought $197 million worth of earmarks for 2009, down about 25 percent from the $256 million she sought in the 2008 budget year. As mayor of tiny Wasilla, Alaska, she hired a lobbyist to seek federal money for special projects. Wasilla obtained 14 earmarks, totaling $27 million, between 2000-2003, according to Taxpayers for Common Sense.”
    MOSTLY TRUE. Although Senator Stephens (R-AK) received the “earmarks” from Congress, (Governor’s cannot) I cannot argue your points that she used the money from Washington. A decent article by the
    LA Times http://www.latimes.com/news/la-na-earmarks3-2008sep03,0,6145252
    2. You state … “Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama hasn’t asked for any earmarks this year.
    NOT TRUE! 2008 – $97M received
    See the following links for more facts.
    Obama earmarks for 2006 and 2007…Too big to count but you can see the actual list at….
    3. You State…”Palin routinely claims to have put an end to Alaska’s infamous “bridge to nowhere,” even though she supported the project during her gubernatorial campaign and turned against it only when it became a national embarrassment and Congress threatened to cut its funding.”
    TRUE. She was for it initially. When Senator Stephens won received the appropriations, she decided, as Governor, to use the money for more important projects. Fair article on LA Times
    OBAMA AND BIDEN VOTED FOR THE FUNDING.
    See following article taht details both issues very clearly.
    Obama and Biden’s moaning about all of this would be far easier to stomach if they, too, opposed the Bridge to Nowhere. Not so.
    Obama and Biden had an excellent opportunity to do the right thing. Just seven weeks after Hurricane Katrina, Senator Tom Coburn (R., Okla.) proposed to transfer $125 million from the notorious Bridge’s budget and instead devote it to rebuilding the Interstate 10 Twin Spans Bridge between New Orleans and St. Tammany’s Parish. The storm chopped up the bridge.
    Coburn’s amendment failed 15-82. Obama and Biden were among the “nays.” They and 80 other senators preferred to protect the earmarking tradition than to assist Katrina’s tempest-tossed citizens.
    4. You state…Palin has claimed that she put the governor’s jet on the Internet auction site eBay, and McCain has said it was sold at a profit. However, the jet was never sold via eBay.
    TRUE. Some key points.
    A. She did not purchase the jet. The previous governor did for $2.7M. She posted it on ebay but got no valid offers. She ended up selling it for $2.1, thus returning $2.1M back to the citizens of Alaska. Is that such a bad thing?
    Oh yea. Did you catch the article about NANCY PELOSI and her jet? Apparently she wants a much bigger jet than what is allowed currently,(taxpayers money being spent wisely?) so that she can fly non-stop from DC to SF with family, friends, etc. See the article at..
    I will try to find more time to reply to your other issues but that is it for now. I need to do some real work.

16. ShifterCat
    Posted September 13, 2008 at 1:40 am | Permalink

Holy spoon, this has got to be Feministing’s most dogged thread ever.
    Isn’t it interesting how, whenever a proposal is made that would mildly disadvantage the rich but benefit the poor, that American Christian conservatives have to come up with some objection to it, despite Jesus’ injunctions? So, lacking in any morality-based argument, they bring up the specter of socialism.
    “Wealth redistribution? Any day now they’ll propose gulags!”

17. ShifterCat
    Posted September 13, 2008 at 1:42 am | Permalink

Holy spoon, this has got to be Feministing’s most dogged thread ever.
    “Wealth redistribution? Universal health care? Any day now they’ll propose gulags!”

18. Deepak
    Posted February 19, 2009 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

Of all of the things I’ve learned about Sarah Palin in the last week and a half, this has got to be the most disturbing. While Sarah Palin was serving as the Mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, the city charged victims of sexual assault between $300 and $1200 for their own rape kits. A rape kit is a sexual assault forensic evidence kit, used to collect DNA that can be used in criminal proceedings to assist in the conviction of those who commit sex crimes. The kit is performed as soon as possible after a sexual assault or attack has been committed. It is usually humiliating and uncomfortable for the victim–imagine enduring that and then paying $1200 just so that the criminal who assaulted you might be caught.
    Add

19. Deva
    Posted March 9, 2009 at 10:10 am | Permalink

Governor of the U.S. state of Alaska. Palin was a member of the Wasilla, Alaska, city council from 1992 to 1996 and the city’s mayor from 1996 to 2002. After an unsuccessful campaign for Lieutenant Governor of Alaska in 2002, she chaired the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission from 2003 to 2004. She was elected Governor of Alaska in November 2006. Palin is the first female governor of Alaska and the youngest person elected governor of that state.
    Palin was the Republican Party’s vice-presidential nominee for the 2008 United States presidential election, on the ticket with Senator John McCain. Palin was the second female candidate and the first Alaskan candidate of either major party on a national ticket, as well as the first female vice-presidential nominee of the Republican Party. After McCain’s defeat in the 2008 election, there has been much speculation of Palin running for president in 2012.
    Link

20. johnsmth.smith15
    Posted June 18, 2009 at 2:36 am | Permalink

i acknowledge this woman really and i’m really upset with david letterman who made foolish comments on her daughter , i mean what the heck he was thinking she is a national figure and you just can’t make sexual comments about her daughter, glad that people protested against it and made him make an official apology
    JOhn (file recovery)