Your Guide to the Community Blog

It’s been over a month since we launched the community blog, and already you’ve written 400 entries! Because the blog is still kind of in experimental mode, we’ve got some bugs to fix and things to get it right. One thing we thought might be helpful was a more detailed guide to becoming a Feministing community blogger. If you’ve wanted to try it but been hesitant, or if you’re already blogging but a little confused about how the whole thing works, below the jump there’s a more detailed guide to using the community blog.

Getting Started

• Click on “Register” in the very upper right corner of the site.
  • Fill out the requested fields, and you should get a confirmation email. Click the confirmation link. You should be registered! (Click “Edit your profile” in the upper righthand corner of the site to add more information about you to your user profile page.)

Writing a Post

• You should be able to write your post and edit it just like writing an email. You can format the text by highlighting it and clicking on the various buttons — bold, italic, etc. We’re still working on creating a “Preview” function, so hopefully you’ll be able to preview your posts soon. Also, we’re aware that the text-formatting buttons are not showing up for people who use Internet Explorer and perhaps other browsers. For a basic guide to formatting your text using HTML tags, click here. We’re working on this problem, too!
  • Inserting a picture: Click the button with a little green tree on it. (Next to the anchor.) Cut and paste the URL of the picture you want to insert where it says “Image URL.” (This could be an image from a free image-hosting site like Photobucket, from which you’d copy the field that says “Direct Link.” Or you can right-click on any image on the web, select “View Image” from the menu that pops up, and then cut and paste that URL.) Click “Insert.”
  • Inserting a YouTube video: From the video’s YouTube page, copy the “Embed” code (which typically appears in the box to the right of the video) and paste into the body of the post.
  • Choose your category from the drop-down list.
  • Click “Submit” to save your post.

Community Blog Moderation

• After you’ve submitted your post, it goes into a queue for moderation. This means one of the Feministing editors will read it and publish it. Depending on how frequently we’re able to check the queue of posts that day (we all have full-time day jobs other than Feministing!), your post could go up immediately or up to 24 hours later. We apologize in advance for the delay. If your post has been in the queue for longer than a day, please email us and alert us. That could mean there was a technical error.
  • We reserve the right to not publish posts that contain hate speech or blatantly anti-feminist language, or that we know to be repeating false information. We also will hold posts that do not make a relevant contribution to the feminist discourse on this site. (That doesn’t mean everything has to be formal and academic or anything — it just means that rants that are completely off-topic, say, a video game review that lacks any gender/feminist angle, will be held.) In general, though, we will not hold a post just because we disagree with its opinion, as long as it’s respectful, on-topic, and not deliberately spreading misinformation.
  • If you have a concern about a commenter or blogger, please send a detailed email to contact@feministing.com.

1. ElleStar
    Posted August 4, 2008 at 11:59 am | Permalink

I know that this might get rife for abuse, but is there any way that you can let those who make the post able to moderate and control comments? While the community blogs are a little less likely to get trolled, they’re not immune and, from what I can tell, those who are being trolled can’t fight back other than to come to the regular posters for help.
    Just a thought on how to make that area a little “safer.”

2. Posted August 4, 2008 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

I’ve emailed in about this, but just want to put it out there for others– is anybody else getting an error message when you try to post something? I have an account, have a profile, have a link inviting me to write a post, and then I get an error message every time.
    Am I the only one??

3. Mama Mia
    Posted August 4, 2008 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Frau sally,
    I have not been able to get in either. I click on write a post and I get an internet explorer error message. I am thinking maybe I need to clear out my cookies or something?
    Glad to hear it isn’t just me!

4. Cedar
    Posted August 4, 2008 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

The community page is 80% of the time, layout-wise, a mess for me. The margins are odd–some posts are tall and thin, with only a few words on each line, and others are long, so I have to scroll horizontally in order to read them, and they often overlap with the columns on the right side of the page, making it difficult to read. It looks this way on either my work computer or home. Does anyone else have this issue?

5. Posted August 4, 2008 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

I have the same problem, Cedar. It does make some posts very difficult to read.
    Mamma Mia, I’ve tried clearing out my cookies, and it still doesn’t work.

6. Jessica
    Posted August 4, 2008 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Cedar, would you mind telling me what kind of browser you’re using? (And just FYI, I’m having our tech person look at this thread – we’re doing our best to work thru the glitches, I promise!)

7. Halfmad
    Posted August 4, 2008 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Hi — been having the same issues. I use Firefox but that the issue in Safari too. Thanks.

8. Cedar
    Posted August 4, 2008 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Jessica–
    I use firefox and internet explorer.

9. Edgy1004
    Posted August 4, 2008 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

I have the same problem with posting. I can comment but when I click on “Write a post” I get:
    Not Found
    The requested URL /community/create-entry.html was not found on this server.
    Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at http://www.feministing.com Port 80
    I have tried writing an email and got no response. It makes me sad. I use firefox also but it does it with Explorer as well.
    PLEASE HELP.

10. katemoore
    Posted August 4, 2008 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

I have the same problem. I’ve tried to alter the URL to community.feministing.com like the rest of the community blog, in case it was just something that forgot to carry over, but in that case I get told that I’m not allowed to create an entry.
    I use IE 7. (Please, no Firefox-pushing. I have it, I’ve tried it, it’s slow.)

11. idiolect
    Posted August 4, 2008 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for creating the community blog feature — it’s a really cool thing, and I think it will be a great resource for discussion and generally creating more of an online community here. To everyone else: read the community posts, comment, and post away! :)

12. Mama Mia
    Posted August 4, 2008 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Let me just add that the only reason the error message even matters is because it is such an awesome feature of the website. Kudos to whoever came up with it! I love reading other people’s stuff, and it means there is always something fresh here.

13. nightingale
    Posted August 5, 2008 at 3:05 am | Permalink

I’m using Firefox and Safari on my Mac and I cannot get it to open, either. Same error message.
    I hope it gets fixed soon, I’m dying to share some posts with everyone.

14. whatsername
    Posted August 8, 2008 at 12:50 am | Permalink

Hey all,
    Quick question, what’s up with the profile pictures? When the Community side first launched mine worked but every time I’ve tried to upload one since then I just get a blank box.
    That preview post would be wonderful! I’ve had some rather odd and unpredictable issues with html in posts, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.
    Another thought I’d LOVE to see implemented is for the author of a post to be notified when a comment is posted. That would make things much easier for keeping track of our threads.

15. Discontented_Clownfish
    Posted January 30, 2009 at 11:48 am | Permalink

I’m also having technical problems that keep me from posting. At the bottom of the page that you write the post in (near the “submit” button), there is a line of text saying “You don’t have permission to post.” If I hit “submit” anyway, I’m prompted to sign in AGAIN (even after I just signed in) and then my post vanishes and is never put on the Community page.
    I’ve been able to post comments fine but can’t get any posts up. I’m using Firefox 3.0.5. I emailed contact@feministing.com about this but never heard back.

16. Ren
    Posted February 14, 2009 at 4:22 am | Permalink

I have a similar problem to Clownfish. When I click “write a post,” it just takes me to a page that says “you don’t have permission to post.” Is there any way I can GET permission?

17. Unequivocal
    Posted February 19, 2009 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Same problem as Discontented_Clownfish and Ren. I’m not sure if this means that the post was submitted and is now being held for moderation, or if there is an actual problem.

18. Samantha
    Posted February 20, 2009 at 10:58 am | Permalink

I’m have the same issue under : the latest IE, google chrome AND firefox and unable to post anything because of the ‘you don’t have permission to post’. I submit anyway and it just asks me to log in again and again

19. bookwoman27
    Posted February 22, 2009 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

I’m also receiving the message “you don’t have permission to post.” :(

20. faith_aloud
    Posted February 24, 2009 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

21. Samantha
    Posted February 25, 2009 at 4:28 am | Permalink

soo..we ever going to see a fix of this?

22. Kathleen
    Posted March 7, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

I’m having that problem too, and need to post this and get comments on it by Monday for a class…EEK. What do I do?!

23. tan
    Posted March 16, 2009 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

I have the same problem, too, and I’m dying to post something! Please fix it soon. :(

24. becstar
    Posted March 25, 2009 at 1:44 am | Permalink

Same problem as everyone else: it keeps saying I don’t have permission to post. What’s that about?

25. starryeyed.kid21
    Posted April 9, 2009 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

Yeah. Same problem.
    Logging me out. Saying I don’t have permission to post.

26. BeastlyKitty
    Posted April 10, 2009 at 2:58 am | Permalink

same problem here Jessica, “no primission to post”

27. idiolect
    Posted April 10, 2009 at 3:38 am | Permalink

I bet $5 that the permission problems are related to a troll with a similar IP getting banned?

28. ameliamv2_9
    Posted April 13, 2009 at 12:26 am | Permalink

same here it just keeps saying i dont have permission to post

29. Mercy
    Posted April 13, 2009 at 2:02 am | Permalink

I want to post so much! please help! it tells me also that i don’t have permission, so im glad it’s not just me!

30. Stephen A
    Posted April 13, 2009 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Same as everyone else… I don’t have permission to post. WTF?

31. Robert
    Posted April 16, 2009 at 6:20 am | Permalink

I was initially find it difficult to manage the community blog named sala de ruleta
    , but your guide seems to be very crucial in handeling the community blogs, it will soon overtake blogger and wordpress too. I wish, it will.

32. Kate
    Posted May 30, 2009 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Is there any way to get an archive of a community member’s comments or just to their profile? (that aren’t your own or the editor’s)
    I don’t know if I’m just tech challenged here or if this feature doesn’t exist. Also, I can’t figure out a way to see my own comments that go back more than a few dozen. Thanks!

33. preetirajlaxmi
    Posted June 8, 2009 at 2:18 am | Permalink

I hope it gets fixed soon, I’m dying to share some posts with everyone. Work from home

34. preetirajlaxmi
    Posted June 8, 2009 at 2:20 am | Permalink

same problem here. as bookwoman27 and others. I assume its a technical website problem. Work from home

35. ElanaFulana
    Posted July 18, 2009 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

I’m having the same problem. Whenever I try to add a post, I’m directed to a page telling me that my session has expired and that I need to sign in. After signing in, I’m directed back to the main page without any confirmation of whether or not my post was submitted or not. I’m using firefox 3.0.11