Idaho Planned Parenthood agreed to racist donation

ppidaho.jpgPlanned Parenthood of Idaho is taking (justifiable) heat after an employee agreed to take a donation aimed at aborting black fetuses.

The call to Idaho came in July to Autumn Kersey, vice president of development and marketing for Planned Parenthood of Idaho.
On the recording provided by The Advocate, an actor portraying a donor said he wanted his money used to eliminate black unborn children because “the less black kids out there the better.”
Kersey laughed nervously and said: “Understandable, understandable. … Excuse my hesitation, this is the first time I’ve had a donor call and make this kind of request, so I’m excited and want to make sure I don’t leave anything out.”

You can read the whole exchange here and listen to it here; it was part of an anti-choice effort to “catch” abortion providers taking funds from obviously racist donors.
What so awful about this, in addition to Kersey’s horrifying response on the call, is that this plays directly into anti-choice talking points about abortion and race.
Rebecca Poedy, CEO of PP of Idaho said, “A fundraising employee violated the organization’s principles and practices when she appeared to be willing to accept a racially motivated donation…We apologize for the manner in which this offensive call was handled. We take full responsibility for the actions of the fundraising staff member who created the impression that racism of any form would be tolerated at Planned Parenthood. We took swift action to ensure that each of our employees understands their responsibility to communicate clearly with donors about the fact that we believe in helping all individuals, regardless of gender, race, or sexual orientation, make informed decisions about their reproductive health care.”

1. SamBarge
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Neither side has the monopoly on racist a**holes, obviously.

2. EG
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Oh, PP-Idaho. You big racist jerks.
    A longtime anti-abortion activist and conservative lobbyist – Idaho Values Alliance Executive Director Bryan Fischer – called Kersey’s response in July reprehensible and said she should have been fired.
    Ladies and gentlemen, hell has frozen over, because I agree with a pro-forced-birther.
    I do suspect that I know what was going on with Kersey though–note the “nervous laughter” and her repeated attempts to spin the guy’s comments so that they were positive rather than racist. I suspect that what was going on was a mentality of “I’m not supposed to be rude to donors because they have the money–I’m just going to pretend that this isn’t happening.” An all-too-common response on the part of white people when confronted with overt racism.

3. SamBarge
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

My initial response is something along the lines of “well, neither side has a monopoly on racist a**holes.” But, I want to give the PP woman the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they edited it to make it sound/look like she was agreeing with the entrapment dude?
    I’m grasping at straws, aren’t I?

4. SarahMC
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

:picks up jaw from floor:
    Wow. What I am most appalled about is the fact that this was a SET-UP!!
    What was the employee supposed to say? “We don’t accept donations from racists!?” They need the money! She was trying to be polite but she was obviously uncomfortable. I probably would have reacted the same way – shocked, but eager to complete the transaction.
    Like these anti-choice fuckers GIVE A SHIT about black babies! The only time they even think about black babies is when they are useful as a rhetorical tool against organizations like PP. I am enraged!!

5. Posted February 28, 2008 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Uh, “the Advocate” = worst name for pro-life magazine EVAR. (I first read the post I was like wtf, why are gays hating on PP??)
    But @ SarahMC, (“What was the employee supposed to say? ‘We don’t accept donations from racists!?’”) actually I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what she was supposed to say. I mean, if it was some college intern or volunteer taking the call I’d just be like “whoops, racism, shame on you and that kind of sucks for PP as an org” but that was the VP OF DEVELOPMENT AND MARKETING. That’s like, a really serious problem.

6. crystalee
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

———–
    Uhm, yes, that’s exactly what she was supposed to say. And this wasn’t just accepting money from racists but rather accepting money to be used for racist purposes (remember: “the less black kids out there the better.”)
    This kind of rhetoric is totally reprehensible. And since when has “doing it for the money” been a reasonable justification for racism??
    I’m with EG. For the first time I agree with the anti-choicers: fire her.

7. BabyPop
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

EG – I agree with you.
    And honestly…PP…the whole fucking “black genocide” bullshit has been going on for a while now, why on earth would their staff that deals with the public (PR, marketing, communications, receptionists, etc) NOT have a little bit of training and information about how to deal with such nonsense?

8. bjayjay81
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Before sending hate mail to the poor woman who is now at the center of this unfortunate anti-choice hate-driven cyclone… take a minute to experience being her.
    When you work at PP, or other choice organizations you are told about these kinds of calls. I just got what I think was one awhile back, trying to force me to make an election endorsement on behalf of a 501(c)3 organization.
    IT SUCKS! Your heart starts beating a mile a minute as you try to harken back to that five-minute training session about what to do when you get “one of those calls.”
    Perhaps she was frantically trying to flag someone down for help; or furiously taking notes because she remembered that part of the training, and in the process FORGOT the most important part: listen to the question behind the question.
    How many people have said, “uh-huh. yeah. uh-huh.” into a phone while trying to do something else?
    Give PP of Idaho a break. Everyone here knows that PP is about as non-racist as you can get, and that this is the product of some of the most evil anti-choice activism to date.

9. Andrew
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

As someone who works for a charity, in the same job (I work in-house, not in a call centre), I can understand how this happened. I definatly agree that the person should be fired, but I honestly would have made the same mistake earlier today if someone rang up and wanted to make a “racist donation”.
    Since it has never happened to me, I never would have thought about it to be honest. But my initial reflex is to pander to the donor and just get the money for the charity, after all, we’re not racists.
    But looking now, I see that it is a massivly wrong thing to do. But the mentality of such a job is the customer is always right. And there are so many situations that pop up you can never train callers for. So again, I disagree with taking the donation, but I understand how it happened.

10. rileystclair
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

andrew, i agree.
    i believe kersey took the wrong approach, and as a someone with presumably more experience in the field than say, a college student intern, i hold her to a higher standard. but i see how she screwed up and make a bad judgment call–i don’t think that alone makes her a horrible person or even a racist. just someone who didn’t speak up and challenge hatred and bigotry when it reared its ugly head.

11. stinsonnick
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

I feel really awful for Autumn, and Planned Parenthood, and any women for whom accessing abortion services may be just that much more difficult because of this.

12. SarahMC
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

But the money would not have gone towards eliminating black babies. It would have gone towards the very important work PP does for women of all races. I’m sorry, I just don’t see why we can’t accept donations from racists who don’t understand our mission. Boohoo on the racists.
    Or should I say, anti-choicers pretending to be racists in a sick game of “gotcha!”
    What does this even prove, anti-choicers?

13. Andrew
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Actually, I’m going to donate to PP Idaho, simply on the basis that this was a set up. It would be one thing if this was an “accident” but since someone was trying to make PP’s image and, in their view idealy donations to PP suffer, Donating would be the best responce. After all they did claim full responsibility.
    Donate to PP Idaho here..
    (please work little link!)

14. idyllicmollusk
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

This is terrible. I’m glad they have issued an apology and taken responsibility.
    Just as we expect politicians to refuse donations from known bigots, ‘our’ non-profits should likewise refuse to be funded, even in part, by known bigots.
    Even if you don’t care about racism for some weird reason, the bad pr alone should be enough to make everyone stay far, far away.

15. PrincessPajamas
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

As someone who works in PR, I can cut Autumn some slack, because I’ve been on phone calls like that, where you’re like, “I can’t believe he just said that, but he’s the client/donor/whatever, so must… surpress… rage,” but I’m still thinking she didn’t need to say “Understandable” in response to “The less black babies, the better”.

16. Andrew
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Sorry thats “in their view, ideally, donations to PP suffer” curse you dyslexia!

17. Posted February 28, 2008 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

I also am horrified that this was a setup, and I’m so sad that the vice president of development and marketing made this mistake, which ultimately just gives ALL clinics that provide STI testing, contraceptive services and abortion services to women the image of having a secret agenda to abort minority pregnancies. AND I’m sure this will be “leaked” to the NAACP and other minority groups, which will just discourage miniority women from going to these clinics for the services they need. So awful.
    I do think Autumn Kersey needs to be fired. She could have nicely but firmly said “We can’t accept donations contingent on being used to abort pregnancies based on race.” That’s not rude, it’s just fact. What a colossal error in judgement on her part.
    I volunteer for a 501c3 organization too, and we are VERY careful about things like this. All it takes is one misstep to lose your non-profit status.

18. crystalee
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Pretend that a story broke where a nefarious group of pro-choicers tricked an anti-choicer into accepting a donation that would go only toward “saving the lives” of unborn white “babies”. We’d all be livid and outraged at the obvious racism — and rightfully so.
    The ends don’t justify the means, and while I definitely understand how awkward this call must have been to take, it’s just not okay to pretend to be a racist until someone writes you a check (because when a donor asks that their donation be earmarked for a specific purpose, yes, organizations have to account for it in that way).
    PP is such a wonderful organization that is under such close watch by people intent on its demise. Because of that that it’s important that it’s beyond reproach in these matters. It makes me sad (and not just a little angry) that this happened.

19. bjayjay81
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

If you specifically want your donation to go to PP of Idaho, you are probably better off calling them directly.
    The main PP donations page allows you to direct your donations to a local PP affiliate, but it will base that designation on the adress you use when you make the donation.
    So you’d want your money to go to PP of Idaho, but you use your Michigan address — the money goes to PP of Michigan.

20. noueux
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

P.S. Love the language in the YouTube video.
    “About 13 percent of American women are black, but they submit to over 35 percent of the abortions.”
    Actually, in my home town, PP stands at the counter in drug stores and takes the credit card information of any woman they see buying a pregnancy test, then holds potential identity theft as blackmail to convince them to get an abortion.
    /sarcasm
    Seriously, I’m sick of a lot of things about anti-choice campaigns, not the least of which is the “compassionate”, “This woman is not evil, rather, clearly lacks the mental capacity to fight the overbearing demon doctors” approach.
    If the issue were truly that these people felt abortion was always the wrong choice, they’d feel more comfortable sharing their information and opinions with women instead of launching tactics based solely on fear, revulsion, and hatred. Why do anti-choicers spend more time trying to change the opinions of men than of women?

21. UltraMagnus
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

I understand the desire to defend this young woman because she works for an organization that we hold dear but this is unaccepatble. The “donor” is being very specific about his donation, even going as far to want to put it in his son’s name because his son will “benefit” from the money going specifically to an African-American woman’s abortion. Not to mention that directly after he says, “the less black kids out there the better,” even though she laughs it off (? it didn’t say “nervous laughter) she says UNDERSTANDABLE. What. The. Fuck. That pissed me off more than anything else in this transcript. It’s “understandable” that this man wants to fund abortions of black kids so his “children” won’t have competition? I’ve worked reception and telemarketing and know you’re supposed to follow a script but after a suggestion like she could have put the caller on hold and asked some one what she should do if she wasn’t sure. As much as it is needed, money cannot trump commen sense or decency.
    I’m sorry that PP in Idaho is catching hell for the idiocy of one of their employees but that still doesn’t excuse her behavior.

22. EG
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Hey, UltraMagnus. I agree with you completely–just a note to say that I found the “nervous laughter” quotation in the linked transcript.

23. newslang
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

UltraMagnus, you may have had different training than me but…
    I work doing calling and doing fundraising (not for PP though) and in regards to using the “understandable” response, that was one of the first things that they taught us in training. We were taught that when a donor says something that you don’t agree with or starts going off and ranting or you’re unsure of how to respond to whatever they said, you respond with “That’s understandable” and then to try to continue the call on a better foot. My supervisor was pretty clear about it NOT meaning that you agree with the donor and that it is 100% a diffusion tactic (all of you can argue whether this is morally right or not, I’m just saying, it’s what we’re taught). It’s part of training and it’s something that I personally fall back on all the time, it’s even ended up being a part of my normal everyday conversations. It’s absolutely a conditioned response and it is the first thing that I was taught to go to when dealing with a difficult donor.
    Not that I don’t think that this entire situation is really effed up and wrong. It’s just that, right there, looking at what she did, that is EXACTLY what I was taught to do in training.

24. CalliopeJane
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

I have to wonder how many PPs across the country have been called with this tactic before the anti-choicers found one who’d screw up in their response. I really can’t believe this was their first attempt.

25. DRC
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Okay, I know this is probably a stupid question, but does Planned Parenthood allow gifts to be earmarked for women of a specific race?
    Before reading that transcript, I would have assumed that the answer is an unqualified no (earmarks based on financial need, certainly, but not based on race). The transcript, however, suggests that such an earmark is possible, and this is before the caller starts making overtly racist remarks. Planned Parenthood of Idaho’s official response doesn’t correct this part of what Kersey said.
    So what’s the deal? Are race-based earmarks possible?

26. daoist
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

What’s wrong with taking donations from racists?
    The less money racists have, the better.

27. KittenFluff
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

I agree with SarahMC and newslang — this sounds like a by-the-book customer service rep response. I feel sorry that PP and Kersey’s name were dragged through the mud because the latter said something she was likely trained to say.

28. JenLovesPonies
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

When I was in college, I worked for a few semesters as a caller for our school’s fundraising efforts. I once called a house looking for the husband, and when the wife answered and realized who I represented (a Catholic college) she started questioning me on what the preists there were going to do to stop gay marriage. I had no idea whatsoever as to what to say, so I handed it off to my boss, who just kept promising to read his Bible. Another time, I got a 45 minute lecture on how the college screwed up somebody’s transcript, meaning he couldn’t find work for 1.5 years. He demanded I personally talk to the dean about something that happened 35 years ago. How the hell do you answer that? What is there to say?
    Today I work at with a wide variety of customers in a different field, and I have still managed to have some what-the-hell moments. There is a fine line someone has to walk when they work with people. Remember, no one wants to get yelled at by their boss, and no one wants to offend a customer.
    I wonder how many people who are calling for her to be fired have ever had a job like that before. I think she should issue a public apology and then switch jobs, but stay at PP. Firing her will only show the anti-choicers that they can get inside PP and destroy it, one person at a time.

29. Posted February 28, 2008 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

PP of Idaho’s mistake can be forgiven as we’ve all made mistakes on the phone or in the heat of the moment, but PP of Golden Gate in San Francisco cannot be forgiven for their latest commercial. View this heterosexist, racist, and unbelievably stereotypical commercial at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU6lBe47fhQ
    They even say on their website that this commercial “Emphasizes the Importance of Pregnancy Prevention & Safer Sex” but as a queer woman of color living in San Francisco, it has turned me off to ever donating or helping Planned Parenthood here ever again.

30. UltraMagnus
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

What’s wrong with taking donations from racists?
    The less money racists have, the better.

Um, when it makes your organization look like they support eugenics?
    As for following the script, here’s a story from when my sibling and I worked in telemarketing:
    My sibling does a cold call to a woman and they did their little speil from the company script and the woman, who was distraught, replied:
    Woman: Look, I can’t deal with this right now, my mother just died.
    My sibling, having been trained to keep going, like everyone here has been pointing out, read the next line in the script which was:
    Sibling: That’s great, ma’am, let me tell you about….
    And continued until the woman burst into tears and hung up. I relay this because there comes a time when as a human being you’ve got go off script and make the right decision. What if this had been a legit donation and the caller had publisized what he’d done? How would the PP respond to having actually taken money for such a request?
    I realize this woman made a mistake, but, as crystalee pointed out earlier, had the shoe been on the other foot and this had been an anti-choicer we’d all be livid about it and we wouldn’t be cutting the them any slack.
    They caught the PP with their pants down, it sucks because they did but I wish PP Idaho the best through this and am happy they are taking responsibility.

31. UltraMagnus
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

And thanks for the clarification, EG.

32. Wildberry
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

If it were me, I’d personally want to take the money, then go “Haha! We didn’t actually use it the way you wanted!”
    But of course that’s not ethical in any way. I’d just say that we can’t use it for that purpose, but urge him to donate anyway.

33. SarahMC
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

I have given this some more thought, and now that I’ve cooled down I want to clarify that I *don’t* really think it’s OK to pretend you’ll use a racist’s money to fund abortions for women of a particular race. Sigh…

34. Wildberry
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

“I am just so disgusted that the anti-choicers did something so underhanded, immature and desperate to “prove” that PP is something it’s not.”
    Yeah… And like someone else said, they probably called a bunch of offices, trying to get someone to slip up.

35. xxhelenaxx
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

What does this even prove, anti-choicers?”
    @SarahMC: Agreed.
    It’s like the debate over gay marriage and assholes who refuse to let gays “marry” but after that, they turn off. Give gays civil unions–let the assholes have their semantics and give couples the same legal rights as heteros. If I have to choose between the war of words and the war of actual RIGHTS, I’ll take the latter.
    I would have done the same thing and thought “Okay, asshole, say what you will, just give me the check.”
    And yes I agree with others who said it–the big fucking irony is that anti-choicers are NOT working or thinking of issues that could help poor people or minorities who could benefit from family planning/natal care services (and a better fucking safety net, and stuff that these same shitheads refuse to pay for).
    This story makes me so fucking angry because it’s part of the doublespeak mindset of those running the country–use words and dumb tricks to accuse your opponents of being destructive all to hoodwink the audience of the reality–THEY’RE the ones fucking things (screwing over kids/families; “working Americans”; those in the military; etc. etc. etc.)
    Jesus Christ as if birth control and family planning aren’t in enough danger…Fuck.

36. kalien
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Faux pas or not, this is a non-issue. Regardless of what the donor intended an organization can do whatever it wants with the donations. The way I see it, this could be re-spun as “Prolife organization donates money for abortions.” This could be further spun based on race. The fact that this was in Idaho of all places means that regardless of the donor’s intent this money would go towards white abortions since Idaho is white as whitebread. So why are there no headlines about a pro-life organization helping to abort white babies, if that’s the gotcha game that they want to play?

37. kalien
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Faux pas or not, this is a non-issue. Regardless of what the donor intended an organization can do whatever it wants with the donations (unless there is a specific contract). The way I see it, this could be re-spun as “Prolife organization donates money for abortions.” This could be further spun based on race. The fact that this was in Idaho of all places means that regardless of the donor’s intent this money would go towards white abortions since Idaho is white as whitebread. So why are there no headlines about a pro-life organization helping to abort white babies, if that’s the gotcha game that they want to play?

38. SarahMC
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Do these folks who are oh-so-concerned about black babies pay any mind to the fact that African Americans have an abysmal infant mortality rate in the US?
    *crickets*

39. UltraMagnus
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

They don’t SarahMC and we know they acutally believe otherwise (birth derth anyone? Or whatever the fuck they’re calling it) and they’ve always fucking used racial genocide as a tactic against abortion rights. What frustrates me is that there are a lot of people in the black community who believe their bullshit and this won’t fucking help at all even if they had tried to “spin” it into a positive. All it takes (took) was that damn recorded phone call.
    When I get my paycheck I’ll make a donation to the Idaho PP. I honestly feel really bad for all involved.

40. kalien
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

ok, I just read read the full transcript (which I should have done before commenting). Even if the fund can be specifically earmarked (though based on what I know of fundraising, I’m not entirely sure this is true without a more specific contract), this is pro-life money for abortions. Except that this person undoubtedly hung up rather than donate. So it’s fraud. Either way it’s still a non-issue. WOC are in especially desperate need for reproductive services, and if this person wants to help give a marginalized woman what she already wants, who cares about the motive? That could potentially be a deciding factor in helping her other child/children in succeeding since the majority of women who have abortions have children and/or go on to have children.

41. BabyPop
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

See…here’s the thing…I listened to it, and I think that what really tripped me up wasn’t even the black, so much, as the repeated use of the word “babies.” But I guess on a donation call you’re not going to go into how an abortion doesn’t abort a “baby” it aborts an embryo or fetus.
    The optimist in me says, “Goody, we can have a broader discussion about poverty, the reasons behind why people choose abortion, and the huge gains we have to make in terms of racial equality and poverty,” but fuck, man, it’s election season, we already saw what that god damned asshat said to Sen. Obama about Farakahan, so yeah…doubt that will happen.

42. heathersf
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

RileyStclair, if someone says something racist and bigoted, and your white and involved in a conversation with them, and don’t say anything…your a racist. your supporting racism.
    no ifs or buts about it.
    and to all you who are trying to scrape up some way to defend this woman or the PP that is continuing to keep her as a representative…what the f***?

43. Marissa
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

While I think what she ended up saying was horrible, I can understand how this could happen and I don’t think she should be fired. I have been in the position of going from low paying receptionist job to low paying receptionist job. When you are in those types of positions for years, you are so demoralized on so many levels. I was treated like the dumb girl in the office, my job was on the chopping board constantly because lower paid positions are often run on fear, the work itself is demoralizing even without the way coworkers and customers alike treat you. I personally learned at all costs to keep my mouth shut or I would lose my job. Racist, sexist, homophobic comments were flung around my workplaces by higher paid employees like badges of courage, and I could say nothing being the lowest paid, female, and young. I am not necessarily saying that PP demoralizes its receptionists, but she may have been in this line of work for a number of years and learned the ropes of silently taking it. In such a case, I don’t think I would have really had the agency to speak out about this customer if I did not agree with the disgusting request. You learn to take it from other customers or it will cost your low paying job, just grin and take it from yet another.

44. EG
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Marissa, this woman wasn’t a receptionist. She was VP of Development and Marketing. VP of an organization that is regularly defamed as racist. She’s an executive. The buck stops with her.

45. meownette
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

I really can not believe the apologists for PP Idaho on this blog. Kersey’s use of “understandable” is almost understandable, given the mechanical nature of lots of telefundraising, but the idea that she’s “excited” about the potential donation after she’s had a second to process and regroup? Wrong, wrong, WRONG. This is so disappointing.
    feminist myrmidon: The ad that you linked to is kind of weird; I’ve been seeing it around lately too. What specifically do you object to in terms of content? I’m trying to put my finger on the pulse of why I don’t really like it.

46. BabyPop
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

Actually…I shouldn’t have said that, because the “black” did trip me up. But I guess that in conjunction with “babies.” If someone really wanted to help WOC they would’ve said as much but he kept saying “black babies.” I feel so bad for the woman who went along with this and for PP, but I also feel angry and I don’t know why. And I agree with the person who said earlier that if one of “us” went undercover and taped one of “them” taking moeny to specifically save white fetuses, we’d be LIVID.
    However: we do have the truth on our side, and the truth is that pro-choice has the facts and pro-life has anectdotes about M. Sanger and eugenics. So much good stuff on RH Reality Check and Feministe about the anti-choice movement’s link TO THIS DAY to racists, and they haven’t even been trapped or coerced into it.

47. Marissa
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Oh, oops, my bad. I really should read the article first. Yeah, fire her.

48. BabyPop
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Guys – the thing I heard the woman said she was an administrative assistant. I think that maybe that is where confusion lies?

49. fatima
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

i really dont understand why anyone is making any excuses for the woman who went along with this…her exact words were “im excited”. thats NOT okay.
    i think we really need to come to terms with the fact that just because someone works at planned parenthood and works for reproductive justice does not mean that they are immune to committing injustice in other ways. in fact, the “mainstream” feminist movement has a history of racism (hellooo the entire suffrage movement…or how about the mass forced sterilization in puerto rico) and we are by NO means beyond that point.
    so im fucking pissed about this and it makes me incredibly sad that there is so much blatant racism in our world. and i wont hold back any of my anger just because one of the people involved is an employee of planned parenthood.

50. avast2006
    Posted February 29, 2008 at 12:12 am | Permalink

If you’ve read the transcript, did you notice how the caller led her on by starting out with it being about their fund for disadvantaged women? Funny how “helping women who can’t afford an abortion” morphs into “kill black babies.”
    Kersey should have been quicker to pick up on the setup. Once the caller mentioned “the less black kids out there the better” that should have been her cue to end the call. But the caller had her hooked pretty thoroughly starting with the “women in need” fund angle. The script is plainly designed to lead the listener down that particular primrose path.
    This is an utterly reprehensible act by the Advocate. It is nothing less than fabricating evidence.