Take it as a compliment

I think some people see being compared to Election character Tracy Flick as a negative thing, but I gotta say, it’s impossible for me to watch that movie and believe Tracy wouldn’t have made a great class president, even if I don’t want to be her best friend.

1. Posted February 26, 2008 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Especially since ‘bitches get stuff done.’ :) .

2. sncreducer
    Posted February 26, 2008 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Really? You think a borderline-psychotic/obsessive-compulsive megalomaniac with an extreme sense of entitlement would have made a good class president?
    I’m not saying any of those labels apply to Hillary – explicitly, I don’t think they do.
    I’m just saying I’m glad you didn’t vote for my class president, Ann. ;-)

3. Posted February 26, 2008 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

I think the creator of this video didn’t think things through, as well, as this would make Obama the idiot football player who has no idea what he’d do if elected class President.

4. Cedar
    Posted February 26, 2008 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Are you referring to the movie or the book? I think Tracy did come off as malicious, and full of contempt in the movie, but I think the book painted her in a better light, although her entitlement was still the driving force of the plot (the teacher was also entitled and contemptious, and this also drove the plot). She was ambitious and hard working and interested in community. She’s not actually a bad person; in fact, I remember a scene (book or movie, I can’t remember) when the teacher is trying to convince the jock to run, and the jock says that he thinks Tracy’s a shoe-in, because in addition to being so qualified, she’s also “super-nice.”

5. literarycritic
    Posted February 26, 2008 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

@ sncreducer:
    Yeah, Tracy obviously had personality issues (particularly in the movie), but seriously — she WAS the best-qualified. She actually CARED about being class president, unlike Paul. And I got the impression that she wanted to win because she honestly thought she was what was best for the school, not just because she thought she deserved it for working hard. And logically, I think she would’ve been the best choice if someone like her had run at my school.
    However, totally illogically, I actually would’ve voted for Tammy. :)

6. jennyfields
    Posted February 26, 2008 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Didn’t they? :-P
    I’ve got this movie on right now…

7. literarycritic
    Posted February 26, 2008 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

So wait a second, who would Tammy be?
    … Ron Paul?

8. SarahWonks
    Posted February 26, 2008 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

See, I think you’re right, but what is sinking Clinton is the same thing that almost sank Tracy Flick – the entitlement.

9. literarycritic
    Posted February 26, 2008 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

@ SarahWonks:
    But what if the entitlement is actually justified, like it arguably was in Tracy’s case?

10. Jeska
    Posted February 26, 2008 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Holy latepass, Slate. People have only been making this comparison for about six, seven months now.
    I totally would’ve picked Flick. Entitlement > “change” any day.

11. rileystclair
    Posted February 26, 2008 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

i’ve only seen the film, but tracy flick comes off as kind of batshit crazy. clearly the hilldawg comparison is hyperbole, but i’m not going to lie and say i don’t see a resemblance.
    which is not to say tracy wasn’t qualified and wouldn’t make a good class president, and compared to the jock, i’d have picked her too. but in this race? compared to obama? no dice. sorry.

12. Posted February 26, 2008 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Clearly Tammy is Nader.

13. Posted February 27, 2008 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

Well, bitch is the new black.
    And as the first person said, bitches get stuff done.