Papa Huckabee wants to “protect” women from abortion

This past weekend, Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee said, “I think if a doctor knowingly took the life of an unborn child for money, and that’s why he was doing it, yeah, I think you would, you would find some way to sanction that doctor…I think you don’t punish the woman, first of all, because it’s not about … I consider her a victim, not a criminal.”
First of all, you have to love that Huckabee assumes abortion providers are men (I suppose that makes it easier to paint them as taking advantage of poor widdle women). But yet again, we have the women-don’t-realize-they’re-getting-abortions-when-they-get-abortions argument.

Whether it’s patting Jamie Lynn Spears on the head for her “right” decision, or making condescending remarks about women’s ability to understand their own decisions–Huckabee certainly is on one hell of a sexist roll.

1. Posted January 2, 2008 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Separated at birth?
    Once again, this is an anti-choicer who doesn’t have the gonads to imprison and/or execute murderesses. Color me disappointed, especially when he seems so hell-bent on executing everything else in sight.

2. Posted January 2, 2008 at 10:11 am | Permalink

blechhh

3. Posted January 2, 2008 at 10:29 am | Permalink

You know, considering what the average fee for a surgical abortion is and what the typical costs are, it’s not like doctors are making out like bandits, here.
    Is he seriously trying to argue that abortion is a great cottage industry (more lucrative that tit jobs!) or is he just suggesting that all doctors should work for free, period?
    Christ, what an idiot.

4. KittenFluff
    Posted January 2, 2008 at 10:33 am | Permalink

It’s great that he doesn’t consider the woman a criminal, considering that abortion is NOT A CRIME.

5. SarahMC
    Posted January 2, 2008 at 10:39 am | Permalink

He’s just suggesting that doctors who perform abortions should work for free. Hmmmm… is Papa Huck advocating free abortions!? Free abortions for everyone! Woohoo!! Happy New Year!

6. moriath
    Posted January 2, 2008 at 10:46 am | Permalink

He’s clearly uncomfortable giving a straight answer there. “I think if a doctor knowingly took the life of an unborn child for money” – as opposed to all of those accidental abortions? Like the doctor’s thinking Why do I have all of this money in my hand? Why is there a pregnant lady in front of me? Oops, I slipped, no more baby for her! But I didn’t know I was going to abort the baby, so I get to keep the cash, mwahahaha!

7. Posted January 2, 2008 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Moriath, exactly! And the woman has no idea what is going on, she’s on the table wondering “Wait, why am I having surgery? Why did I sign paperwork saying I wanted an abortion? I’ll still have a baby after this, right?” because women are just that stupid, at least in Huckabee’s world.

8. redKate
    Posted January 2, 2008 at 11:50 am | Permalink

It completely astounds me as to how poor comprehension his comprehension of the relationship between a doctor and patient is. Maybe I should just stop assuming that people are generally intelligent beings. . .

9. uberhausfrau
    Posted January 2, 2008 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

abortion: $350 give or take. if you have insurance, it could be as little as $12 (the office co-pay).
    a birth: $3,500-$10,000. depends on where you give birth, who attends, if you end up with an “emergency” c-ection, a hospital stay, baby being kept for observation, etc. etc. etc. even with insurance, most still make you pay 10% plus some additional costs.
    now someone please tell me where all the money is?

10. uberhausfrau
    Posted January 2, 2008 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

now someone please tell me where all the money is?

11. SassyGirl
    Posted January 2, 2008 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Women who have abortions are victims? Puhlease! The victims are the women who seek abortions and can’t manage to jump through the legally manadated hoops to obtain one.
    If by some miracle Huckabee is elected, I will move to another country.

12. SarahMC
    Posted January 2, 2008 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

They do not care about the facts.

13. SassyGirl
    Posted January 2, 2008 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

“These idiots completely ignore the fact that DELIVERING a LIVE baby is much more lucrative for doctors than performing abortions.
    They do not care about the facts.”
    Of course they don’t care about facts, the facts would make sense and there is nothing sensible about these people.

14. RachelInga
    Posted January 2, 2008 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Holy crap! You mean when I went to a Planned Parenthood clinic and got the phone number of a doctor who I paid $300 and he then gave me some pills that made me expel a chunk of tissue and blood that continued for a week…he gave me an abortion?!?
    How DARE he have done that to me!

15. Misspelled
    Posted January 2, 2008 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Literally EVERY time I’ve heard of a pro-lifer expressing this view — “punish the doctor, not the woman” — the doctor in question has been assumed to be male. That’s bad enough when it occurs just because the word “doctor” still conjures up a male image in the minds of so many people, but it’s infinitely grosser to me in this context, where assuming that the doctor is a man and should be punished for performing abortions just reinforces the stereotypes that juxtapose the rational, competent, educated, mature, authoritative man who should know better with the ignorant, confused, over emotional, easily misguided woman who could have been saved if only she’d been pointed in the right direction by somebody with a more capable mind.
    Keep ‘em coming, Huckabee.

16. PamelaV
    Posted January 2, 2008 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

The way some of this stuff is phrased..does he think abortion is its own entity, like the Big bad Wolf, that sneaks up on women?
    I really cannot STAND this guy. I have disliked him ever since I heard of him.

17. SassyGirl
    Posted January 2, 2008 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

RachelInga,
    You are most defintely a victim! Your doctor did not try to talk you out of having control over your own body! Call Huckabee!

18. SarahMC
    Posted January 2, 2008 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Definitely call Huckabee, RachelInga!! He’ll send Chuck Norris after that dastardly abortionist!

19. Jovan1984
    Posted January 2, 2008 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Seems like I’ve been talking about Mike ‘Taliban’ Huckabee forever now.
    Folks, Huckabee is the type of person who wants to force us to kowtow to 1st century Christian sensibilites.

20. PamelaV
    Posted January 2, 2008 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Yikes! Do you have a link? (I believe you, just asking).

21. SassyGirl
    Posted January 2, 2008 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

I was just looking at Huckabee’s website and am horrified over what he said about “the sanctity of life”

22. SassyGirl
    Posted January 2, 2008 at 6:58 pm | Permalink
  23. Mina
    Posted January 2, 2008 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

“Jessica, et. al., that’s not the only thing he said over the weekend. Huckabee also said that women are to obey their husbands without question. Basically put, Huckabee wants to take away every single right women have.”
    I know a woman who’s oblivious to all that and is OK with Huckabee but hates Giuliani. She doesn’t seem to fully realize that even if someone’s not discriminating against her for being Middle Eastern he or she can still discriminate against her for being female…

24. Jovan1984
    Posted January 2, 2008 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Pamela V, the link didn’t show up in my previous post. So here it is:

25. River Curtis-Stanley
    Posted January 3, 2008 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

If Huckabee is elected, I will not flee the country, though I will encourage all women of child-bearing age to do so, and all parents of daughters to do so. I will encourage my sister to take my nieces and emigrate. I thank Goddess every day that my nieces have dual citizenship. c
    As for me, I am no longer capable of becoming pregnant, so I might as well stay here and fight a Huckabee administration.