What I wish I got for Christmas

stfu.gif
Because then when someone makes an asinine comment, I could just silently point to the wall.
Asinine comment via Chicagoist.

1. UCLAbodyimage
    Posted December 28, 2007 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Ah yes. Very useful.
    I just recently joined the facebook group: “Against gay marriage? Then don’t get one and SHUT THE FUCK UP (UCLA Chapter)”
    In other news, I also joined “I just tried to fort the river and my fuckin oxen died (UCLA Chapter” along with “Grad Students: They’re not bad people they just made bad life choices”

2. PamelaV
    Posted December 28, 2007 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

you can get the book to make these :)
    It’s “Subversive Cross Stitch”

3. Posted December 28, 2007 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Of course, since either getting an abortion or putting the baby up for adoption are decisions that womem make lightly and thoughtlessly, and are just ways to deny responsibility.
    Nevermind that giving the baby up for adoption to a loving family that can provide for the baby better than the mother can is actually putting the child’s interests above those of the mother. No, it’s just irresponsible. Clearly the ONLY responsible choice is to have the baby.
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

4. MissMay12
    Posted December 28, 2007 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

GottaBeMe: Thank you for saying something intelligent in response to that bullsh*t when all I could think to say was “arrrrggghh, F**K.” And thank you for preventing me from throwing something as a result.

5. judgesnineteen
    Posted December 28, 2007 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

wha? In that second story, when it noted all the benefits mothers get in other countries but not in the US, and then said, US mothers are doing well but should still try to get the support they need, I thought (silly me) that they were going to say we should lobby for those programs we don’t have here. But no. They forgot about all of that and went back to telling women how to live their lives – right after saying that women are succeeding even without doing it their way. Wow.

6. WinnieMcGovens
    Posted December 28, 2007 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

“Even good girls can get pregnant, even if it’s their first time.” Of course because only “bad girls” have sex, and I guess birth control just doesn’t exist?
    I’m kinda tired of all the “Whoops pregnant” movies, glorifying the woman who can’t go through with abortion. Not to knock down those women who decided they couldn’t go through with abortion, but I’m just tired of the message “If you had an abortion you were thoughtless and lazy.”

7. Posted December 28, 2007 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

That’s because if these characters did go through with abortion, the rest of the film would be about her “dealing” (probably not dealing) with it. A movie about a female character who gets an abortion and moves on with her life, which is what usually happens in real life, isn’t interesting. But conservative nut jobs are now citing movies to support their point that young single women are making the “right” decision not to have an abortion, even though these movies aren’t even based on actual events. They don’t want 16-year-old girls taking a page out of Jamie Lynn Spears’ book and having a child out of wedlock, but they do want a fictional character like Juno to be a role model for young women. It makes absolutely no sense.

8. Liza
    Posted December 29, 2007 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Want.

9. Posted December 29, 2007 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Susie Bright is a good cure-all for all sorts of nonsense.

10. Posted December 31, 2007 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Liza and others -
    You should definitely visit my friend’s x-stitch shop! You’ll love her stuff!