Move over, Ani.

Aretha and Annie are here. This has got to be within the top three feminist music videos of all time.

Thanks to Michael.

1. kamikazebirds
    Posted November 29, 2007 at 10:57 am | Permalink

I’m trying to figure out if the person playing guitar was supposed to me a woman dressed up as a man. I think so, but I’m not sure.
    Either way, that’s a great video.

2. Foxfire
    Posted November 29, 2007 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Kamikaze, the person playing the guitar is Dave Stewart, who was in Eurythmic with Annie Lennox. I have to say this video made me feel awesome. Coming out of the “Lusty Linda” BS I was feeling kind of low, but this made me feel like a bad-ass woman again. Thanks!

3. Foxfire
    Posted November 29, 2007 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Eurthmics, excuse the typo

4. Foxfire
    Posted November 29, 2007 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Damn it, can’t spell today. EURYTYMICS! grr…Sorry for the triple post.

5. Leslie
    Posted November 29, 2007 at 11:37 am | Permalink

this is amazing! i had no idea this existed and i love it!

6. prairiefyre
    Posted November 29, 2007 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

If I remember staying up all night to watch this on Friday Night Videos does it disqualify me from still being a “young” feminist?

7. prairiefyre
    Posted November 29, 2007 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

8. String_Bean_Jen
    Posted November 29, 2007 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

OMG! That song was teh FUNK. I can’t believe I’d never heard it before, though I’d certainly heard many a reference to the title. Awesome.

9. prairiefyre
    Posted November 29, 2007 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

10. prairiefyre
    Posted November 29, 2007 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

hmmmmm – my inability to post only once seems that have made the “youth” question moot.

11. BWrites
    Posted November 29, 2007 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

I took the album this was from out at the library (yes, it was vinyl) and I can’t remember how many times I played that song. I thought it was awesome then, and I can’t say the intervening years have changed my mind a bit!

12. Natasha Yar
    Posted November 29, 2007 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

I loved this, two of my favorite singers together. I nominate this for Greatest Duet Ever.

13. megan
    Posted November 29, 2007 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

oh my god i’ve loved this song ever since it was in the first wives club

14. corydalus
    Posted November 29, 2007 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Damn…Annie and Aretha together. The talent must have been visible from the moon.

15. grumbelina
    Posted November 29, 2007 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Yes, great tune, great preformances, great video!
    So if this is one of the top three feminist videos, what are the other two?

16. Sheila Kelly
    Posted November 29, 2007 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

I LOVE Aretha and Annie but I think it’s important to point out that many of us disagree with both of them on an important issue: Abortion.
    Aretha is an Anti-Choice activist and Annie begged out of a UK Feminist fund raiser for abortion rights saying, “I’m not comfortable with abortion, especially the way most women use it”.
    Of course, I do think its important to say that Feminists do not necessarily have to be in 100% agreement on all issues.

17. electronBlue
    Posted November 29, 2007 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

This video just made my whole damn day. Thanks!

18. Posted November 29, 2007 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Awesome video. But I don’t understand the headline. It’s seems like a diss on Ani. Can’t we just celebrate Annie and Aretha without comparing them to Ani? Why does it have to compete with or take something away from Ani?

19. 44aces
    Posted November 30, 2007 at 2:26 am | Permalink

I do remember this video.
    The 90′s were the big hair
    era for both men and women.
    Dave Stewart was hot for his time ladies.
    And that is okay. Feminists,
    it doesn’t matter what “wave” you are, we need to stick together. We need to include women of all ages including “The Older Women’s League.”
    Thanks for the video review.

20. sunburned counsel
    Posted November 30, 2007 at 8:24 am | Permalink

Deborah, I think it was a tongue and cheek way of saying “we might think of Ani as being the feminsty of singers, but check out this great feminist video pre-dating her that you may not have seen.” No one is dissing Ani.

21. Lisa27
    Posted November 30, 2007 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

I completely agree that this is probably on my list of “top three feminist music videos of all time” but what are the other videos on yours?
    Email links or post them here: feminist27@gmail.com