Reading tonight in NYC, and some video fun

Happy Friday folks. If you’re in the New York area and want to come to see me speak and read a bit from Full Frontal Feminism, I’ll be at the West Side YMCA at 8pm. All the info is below.
And to get you revved up for whatever fun (hopefully feminist) plans you have tonight, please enjoy the above video of Le Tigre interpreted by Jem and the Holograms.
The Writer’s Voice Visiting Author Series Presents:
Jessica Valenti “Full Frontal Feminism�
Friday, September 28, 2007
8:00 PM
Admission Free and Open to the Public
Reading/Discussion/Book Signing
West Side YMCA– The George Washington Lounge
5 West 63rd Street (between Central Park West & Broadway)

1. String_Bean_Jen
    Posted September 28, 2007 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

You always find the greatest videos! That was awesome. How did this myanez do that? It wasn’t all-new animation, was it?
    Jem was awesome. I loved how big the dolls were. They could stomp all over Barbie any day. Plus, big dyed hair and glittery lame outfits were just my thing! Kimber was awesome, but I think Jetta was my favorite. She was in their rival band, the Misfits. So punk!
    I also loved the cassette tapes you could get to sing along to. They were all different colors as well. Aw, man. Nostalgia…

2. Posted September 28, 2007 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Awesome – Jem meets Le Tigre. I think Jem was my first feminist icon… a music executive, a rock star, and a philanthropist. Not a bad role model for a cartoon.
    Have a great reading, Jessica!

3. lil_furnace
    Posted September 28, 2007 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Jem/Jerrica really did seem to have it all. But the Misfits? Now THEY were rockstars.
    Pizzazz vs. PJ Harvey

4. ankathry
    Posted September 28, 2007 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Oh, lil furnace, thanks so much, that’s awesome! These 2 videos have made my day. I loved Jem when I was a kid (and love Brita Philips of Luna now). Big bright hair was the coolest. One thing that totally bugged me, though (although this isn’t exclusive to Jem) — why wasn’t she totally offended that Rio could not only not tell that Jem and Jerrica were the same damn person, but was also totally content to fool around with “both” of them? He surpassed Lois Lane in stupidity.

5. Roxie
    Posted September 28, 2007 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

OMG, I FUCKING LOVE JEM!!
    Btw, I bought another copy of FFF to give to a friend today :)

6. Samantha
    Posted September 28, 2007 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

I met Jessica!! woohoo! that totally made my week! the reading was so much fun. good crowd, great dialogue. really nice space. and Jessica is super nice and i have whole new reasons to worship her now. =)

7. Mz.Stilletto
    Posted September 29, 2007 at 11:36 am | Permalink

This video is the best!! OMG, how did you know that I’m doing a Jem costume for Hallowe’en this year?? ;)
    Love it!

8. Sonya Klarson
    Posted September 7, 2009 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Some will say, ‘So what?’ The logic of efficiency affects how issues like public transport, waste management or service provision are addressed since it conditions deeper, wider mindsets.
    It becomes difficult to ask questions like, ‘What is transport for?’ because the efficiency criterion makes it difficult to calculate ‘soft’ benefits.