Cashing in on gay tourism.

Well I would rather fly the gay friendly skies, as opposed to the slut shaming ones. We all know about the popularity of gay and lesbian cruises, but Air New Zealand’s marketing department thought to take it to the next level. In celebration of the very well attended gay Mardi Gras in Sydney, Australia, Air New Zealand will be flying a one time “pink flight” from San Francisco to Sydney. OK, OK, I know the gratuitous market driven corporate machine that “gay tourism” has become and all the major problems with the obsession to go after the gay dollar, but you gotta admit, this sounds pretty fun.

The flight will be modeled after an Auckland-to-Sydney trip Air New Zealand made this year for the gay Mardi Gras, according to Williams. Before that full flight, the crew put on pink feather boas and sang for its couple hundreds passengers, she said.
“Even the pilot was wearing fairy wings and got into it,” Williams said.

We can all use a little camp every now and again.
via USA Today and Queerty.

1. UltraMagnus
    Posted September 18, 2007 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

I’m going to go out on a limb and say this kind of capitalism is great. The more corporations go after the “gay” dollar, which isn’t any except the straight, white dollar, then the more money they will make and the less they will have to depend on the “moral majority” dollar and when the moral majority protests gay friendly companies (like they did Disney and ABC) the companies can tell them to shove off, they’re making the money they need either way.
    And while this is about as comforting as when companies pink up everything for the “women” dollar, at least the gay community is being acknowledged by mainstream companies.

2. DarthVelma
    Posted September 18, 2007 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

While I can admire this company for marketing to gays…the pink for all things girly/gay is really getting on my last good nerve.

3. Justin K.
    Posted September 18, 2007 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

I dunno. Singing flight attendants in boas might be fun for a little while, but it would get pretty old over the course of a 12 hour flight. Especially when you have fairy wings smacking you in the face during the drink service.
    Consdering how miserable air travel is anymore, efforts like this to make it fun just seem kind of sad.

4. ponies and rainbows
    Posted September 18, 2007 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

5. Posted September 18, 2007 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

I went to college in Australia, and I have been to Gay Mardi Gras. It’s an absolute BLAST and I highly recommend it to everyone.
    And I agree with those who say that the flight is torturous. I agree that the singing would get pretty old after a while, but sitting in a tiny little seat with about 5 cubic inches of room to move gets pretty old, too.

6. anorak
    Posted September 18, 2007 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Air N.Z. have been running these special flights from Auckland (N.Z’s biggest city) to Sydney for a few years now. I, for one, think it’s awesome.
    Just imagine if you didn’t realise and just happened to get booked on this flight. Good times!

7. meegs
    Posted September 18, 2007 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

UltraMagnus: Disney is a gay-friendly company?
    Not trying to be sarcastic, I’d just never heard anything like that before.

8. Mina
    Posted September 18, 2007 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

“Well, having flown from Chicago to Sydney and back (with a stopover in San Fran) I think this is a great idea. The damned flight is way too long and seriously makes you feel like you’re going to go insane if you’re not used to it; as long as they’re not singing and dancing the whole time (which I doubt they are) I think it would make the flight a whole lot more tolerable.”
    I heard that the key to trans-Pacific flights (except maybe the Alaska-Siberia ones) is stopping in the middle, even if it’s only a half hour to get fresh air on the plane instead of enough time to check out the beach. Does any airline do this anymore?

9. Posted September 18, 2007 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

I hear what UltraMagnus is saying, but I really have to agree with DarthVelma. I dislike the implication that all queer ppl are (presumably, white upper-class men who are) really into musicals and the color pink. I’m really sick of seeing my queerness summed up by some rich upper class white man who “simply adores” fashion.

10. ponies and rainbows
    Posted September 19, 2007 at 12:52 am | Permalink

I don’t know, Mina. I thought both times that it would’ve been really nice to stop in Hawaii, or maybe Samoa or Fiji, but apparently most flights to Australia nowadays stop in San Fran or LA, which leaves you stuck on the plane for 12-15 hours. When I arrived in Sydney, I found out that it’s popular among Americans to stop in Fiji, but you have to specifically design your flight that way, and most people stay there for a few days before moving on to Oz.

11. Emmy
    Posted September 19, 2007 at 7:05 am | Permalink

“Disney is a gay-friendly company?
    Not trying to be sarcastic, I’d just never heard anything like that before.”
    I know a guy who worked for Disney in the mid nineties at one of the parks. They have some very gay friendly policies like extending employment benefits to same sex partners, and I know they will kick you out of a park for wearing any T-shirt slogan that’s anti-gay, racist, sexist, etc. They don’t make a big deal of it, but yeah, they can be pretty cool.

12. Posted September 19, 2007 at 7:52 am | Permalink

13. Mina
    Posted September 19, 2007 at 8:03 am | Permalink

“Also, if I recall correctly Disney set aside some specific gay/family friendly park days. They were gay-friendly enough some conservative groups, such as the Southern Baptists, voted on an official boycott about 10 years ago.”
    Really? The version I heard went like this: Disney has a park ticket discount for large groups. Seems like it was less Disney parks having Gay Days (and setting aside certain dates for specifically inviting gays) than some gays having Disney Days (and Disney welcoming them a la any other big group o’ guests for whichever dates the group chose). Then some idiots still boycotted Disney for treating the gay guest groups like any other harmless guest groups.

14. Xana
    Posted September 19, 2007 at 9:48 am | Permalink

I second the comments of DarthVelma and dontboxsarah.
    I’m so tired of them marketing to a very small part of the GLBTQ population and assuming feather boas and show tunes are what every gay person wants. You can argue that any visibility is still visibility, but really…