Write Cosmo a letter

As an update to Cosmopolitan‘s article on the crock-o-shit “gray rape” theory, The New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault has initiated a letter-writing campaign which says it simply, “No Such Thing as Gray Rape.”
If you’re not in the NYC area, why not start your own letter-writing campaign? Or at the least, write your own letter to Cosmo at cosmo@hearst.com.

1. Posted August 27, 2007 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

thanx vanessa for the info! you bet i will! cosmo needs to be a little more responsible in what they write!!!
    keep up the great work!

2. Posted August 27, 2007 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Done.

3. FemStar
    Posted August 27, 2007 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Here’s my email to cosmo@hearst.com:
    Like all the ridiculous ideologies, popular and institutional patterns of discrimination and exploitation that make girls, young women and women question whether or not they were raped, allowing this crime to go on as a sometimes o.k. act (if it can’t be “provedâ€?) and an oftentimes unpunished act (if it can’t be “provedâ€?) – a giant NO THANKS goes out to the writers and editors of Cosmo for being an active participant in such heinous discourse.
    There is no such thing as “gray rape�.
    Your article on “Gray rape� re-affirms my stand as a non-reader of Cosmo. A magazine that, amongst so many others, came nowhere close to empowering me as an impressionable young woman, and certainly does nothing positive for empowering women of any age in a genuine manner. Men, on the other hand, who are looking for women to satisfy their sexual needs at any cost and to get away with sexual assault, continue to be ever so grateful.
    Change your project – and do something unique for women’s sake.
    (Only with added fancy font for emphasis)

4. Posted August 27, 2007 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

What’s next, grey murder?

5. UCLAbodyimage
    Posted August 27, 2007 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

“Your article on “Gray rapeâ€? re-affirms my stand as a non-reader of Cosmo. A magazine that, amongst so many others, came nowhere close to empowering me as an impressionable young woman”
    Just a thought – might be better not to mention you are a non-suscriber. Probably the biggest fear for cosmo is losing subscribers(?). Perhaps threatening to cancel your subscription if they don’t provide an article expressing the kind of problems with the Gray Rape POV might get their attention a little more?
    Not sure, but was just my first thought.

6. ponies and rainbows
    Posted August 27, 2007 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

7. Posted August 27, 2007 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

is the article online anywhere?

8. Posted August 27, 2007 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

There is ‘grey murder’, it’s called manslaughter.

9. carlagirl
    Posted August 27, 2007 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

There’s a rather depressing post about this on Jezebel.com today: http://tinyurl.com/yvzeac

10. UCLAbodyimage
    Posted August 27, 2007 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

“Yeah, good point, UCLA. Another good tactic might be to tell them that you’re spreading the word about their false, damaging information to your friends who subscribe and you feel confident that they’ll be unsubscribing, too.”
    Ahh, yes, that’s a better idea :-) . That way you don’t have to lie about being a cosmo subscriber.
    “Also, does anybody here think it would be possible to get them to issue an apology? I’m just asking because if it is, I’m going to include that demand in my letter.”
    Cross your fingers. A couple of us wrote to America’s Next Top model when they did that abused/murdered model shoot. We basically got back a form letter.

11. revolucinations
    Posted August 27, 2007 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

If you go to the cosmo website they have a place where you can “share your story.” The question this week is about gray rape. They are asking women to share stories of times they might have been raped, but aren’t sure. I filled out the form only instead of sharing a story I pointed out to them that there is no such thing as gray rape. Might be interesting if more women shared their stories of how gray rape does not exist. By the way, when you put in your birthdate they don’t offer any years before 1970. Apparently cosmo does not want to hear from women over age 37. They don’t count.

12. Posted August 27, 2007 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

there is also a place on their page called “be in cosmo” where they invite you to tell them what you liked or didn’t like about this month’s issue. i also used that to write another strongly worded letter to them.

13. Posted August 27, 2007 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

I saw it, and I did it two days ago. Here’s my letter.
    Editor,
    I am writing to tell you that I am furious you published Laura Sessions Stepp’s article about so-called ‘Gray Rape’ in your September issue. In doing so you have dispelled every notion I ever had that Cosmopolitan is a pro-woman magazine. This article was nothing more than backlash against feminism and excusing the actions of actual rapists. There was nothing ‘gray’ about any of the instances Sessions Stepp wrote of in her article. If I were on the jury in any of these rape cases I would have convicted every single one of these men. An act of intercourse being carried out after a woman has said no or is unable to consent due to being drunk beyond reason or unconscious is rape whether the man is drunk, whether it’s his girlfriend, whether he’s an amazing student, whether he supposedly didn’t hear her, or in any other case. A person’s drunkeness does not excuse their act of committing any other crime, and there is absolutely no reason why it should excuse rape. I have lost all respect for you and I will not be buying your magazine again.
    [Genevieve Dusquesne]
    Ohio

14. dirtybug
    Posted August 27, 2007 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

I am quite certain that the women and men at Cosmo are smart. Smart enough to know that that article was BS and smart enough to know that causing a controversy is the best way to stir interest. The people that work there are the lowest form of misogyny–they’re completely aware that their magazine is destructive to women but month after month they slap on another “101 ways to please your man” article and make millions off of the nullification of feminism.

15. LindsayJ
    Posted August 28, 2007 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

E-mail sent – then posted to Facebook in hopes of more following…

16. drowsymaggi
    Posted August 29, 2007 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

I wasn’t shocked by this article in Cosmo. That magazine has been anti-woman for a long time. I believe that Helen Gurley Browne had good intentions for the magazine but because of her background she wasn’t qualified and came up with something that Hugh Hefner would be proud of. I sent an e-mail anyhow and will get as many people as I can to do the same.

17. CrystalPM
    Posted August 28, 2009 at 4:41 am | Permalink

wow… very nice post!! i really like it
    Spa Treatments